• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive to hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moeshka

Registered
hi, Ive just installed a new hd in win 2000pro. I wanted to copy the whole of my previous drive over to the new one so i can use the new one as the master.

Can anyone recomend a program that will allow u to do this

thanks

drive copying

Check with the manufacturer of the hard drive. Most of them have their own software for this. Be safe and back-up any critical files before you try it; you never know what might happen.

i checked at maxtor and they only have a utility for win98,me. It seems that i cant find one that alows win2000 to be copied

thanks for the reply

How have you formated the HD, FAT32 or NTFS ?

If it is FAT32 then boot to dos and type the following in:

attrib -rsha /d /s
xcopy C: D: /S /E

This may also work from the command prompt in WIN2K

What, nobody has suggested Norton's Ghost? I know it comes on a CD with some mobos, but I'm not sure where else you can get it. Ghost will let you make an exact copy of one hard drive to another, so it can still be used for boot purposes.

if your w2k is formatted in FAT, then the maxtor utility should work, if formatted in NTFS then it will not

If you're not using Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive image, you're missing out. I recently had one of those strange windows errors that forced me to reinstall. I use Drive Image, and it took me all of 6 minutes to install windows 2000, OfficeXP, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop.... It takes about 6 hours to install all this software by itself, but once the image is made, it's only minutes to restore.

The main difference between ghost and drive image is that Drive image supports writing to NTFS partitions, whereas ghost does not.

thanks for the replies. The drive is formatted in ntfs so it looks as though the powerquest one is best for me

thanks for the help

NeoMoses said:

The main difference between ghost and drive image is that Drive image supports writing to NTFS partitions, whereas ghost does not.

I have never used the home version, but the professional works with NTFS...

engjohn said:

I have never used the home version, but the professional works with NTFS...

This from Symantec's Website:

• Ghost cannot save image files to local NTFS partitions:
    In this configuration, you run Ghost.exe at one computer only. Because Ghost.exe runs in DOS and DOS cannot access local NTFS partitions, Ghost cannot save image files to local NTFS partitions.
  • Ghost cannot save image files to remote NTFS partitions accessed through a peer-to-peer connection:
    In this configuration, you run Ghost.exe at each of two computers that are connected by a USB cable (Ghost's "Local" option), through an LPT port (Ghost's "LPT" option), or through a network interface card (Ghost's peer-to-peer "TCP/IP" option). These are all peer-to-peer connection types. Because Ghost.exe runs in DOS and DOS cannot access remote NTFS partitions through a peer-to-peer connection, Ghost cannot save image files to remote NTFS partitions.
  • Ghost can save image files to remote NTFS partitions accessed through a mapped drive (a nonpeer-to-peer connection):
    In this configuration, you run Ghost.exe at one computer only, and that computer is running network client software for DOS, such as the Microsoft Client or the NetWare Client. The file Autoexec.bat has an entry that maps a network drive. Because DOS accesses the remote computers through the network client software, which understands the NT file system (NTFS) and can work with files on an NTFS partition, corporate Ghost versions can save image files directly to remote NTFS partitions in this configuration.

Basically, I've found that Drive Image is easier to use for the individual, even though Ghost may have more features for the corporate side.

If you do choose Norton Ghost, check out The Radified Guide to Norton Ghost

managed to use drive image, it seems to have worked!!!

just running thriugh things to make sure all info is there etc.

can i ask if anyone knows how to get the hidden files on the 'copied from' disk back into vision as at the moment my original drive is completely hidden from windows.

thanks for all the help

Back