• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grand Trismo 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

I bought grand trismo 4 six months ago and its in decent quality no scratches on the CD. I tried to play it and it says Disc Read error. same as my friends disc. He put his in his Ps2 and same thing as mine. Does anyone have the same problem of what im having? Thanks for all advice.

Weezlexx89

Wipe it off with a fine cloth. Sometimes fingerprints,etc... can cause it as well.

Take it to game crazy (in hollywood video stores), pay $2 and they will polish it like they do all their trade ins and it should be good as new.

is this an old ps2? or a new style ps2?

if its the old one, it might be on its last legs. is this the only game it happens with? mine did the same thing, it started taking like 5-10 resets to get madden to load, always giving the "disc read error" and even then it would crash a lot loading up a game. then all my other games started acting up.

there are fixes on the interweb, basically the laser from the dvd drive is dying. you can "fix" it, as i did, but they are all temporary fixes, eventually the ps2 will stop working period. when it stops loading regular dvd movies, its basically dead, and you will probably have to buy a new one.

Have you ever cleaned the DVD drive laser? That gets dusty and can cause read errors. My PS2 would play music cd's fine but couldn't load games. I took it apart cleaned the lense (just wiped it) and it was perfect again.

Also isn't gt4 one of the first games that had read problems with the old disks.

I know people had a fit when their old ps2s wouldn't switch between layers on the Xenosaga game. (Think videos were on one layer, game on the other)

hUMANbEATbOX said:

if its the old one, it might be on its last legs. is this the only game it happens with? mine did the same thing, it started taking like 5-10 resets to get madden to load, always giving the "disc read error" and even then it would crash a lot loading up a game. then all my other games started acting up.

there are fixes on the interweb, basically the laser from the dvd drive is dying. you can "fix" it, as i did, but they are all temporary fixes, eventually the ps2 will stop working period. when it stops loading regular dvd movies, its basically dead, and you will probably have to buy a new one.

The PS2 Have is the old one. Its not the flat small ones. Its the fitrst version when it came out. The thing is it work on the PS2 fine and dandy. The all of a sudden it didnt play the game.

Try this, it might work, turn on the ps2, then put the CD in, then press the power button to reset, then turned the ps2 to standing up position, or if you put it on standing up then turn it down. If it still didn't work then put in a codebreaker load disk or something like that, then after it boot, ran the game from codebreaker.

Good luck.

Do other DVD's work?

You'll probably have to adjust the laser height to get it working again, but like what was said, it's really only a temporary fix. Here's a pretty good article about how to do it.

This is so odd, I don't have a ps2 but a good friend does. He was looking for a new racing game so I suggested GT4 it would not load at all after several days it started to really get him PO. Anyway I was over at his house and he dared me to make it work I tried to load it up, sure enough no go. I carefully examined the disc (with a magnifier) no anomalies, except for maybe one piece of dust. So with nothing to lose I wiped the disc with the palm of my hand and bingo it worked and has loaded up successfully every time since, hundreds of times.

yeah the DVD's work and other games do too. even games that are 5 years old. its odd that I have a game thats a year old and it doesnt work right.

hUMANbEATbOX said:

doesent matter, the new are as bad as the old with this type of thing.

the GT4 dvd is a DVD9 game meaning its a dual layer disc, hard for PS2s to read but it shouldnt give errors, what i have noticed on alot of them its either #1 the lens is too dirty and it struggles to real the dual layer game any way and it just gives up after x ammount of tries or #2 the lens is failing or out of aclibration, enough to read normal games but when it comes time to read a dual layer disc it just cant do it.

start with the cheepist first, if you have a tray loading PS2 (the fat one) go get one of those cd's with the brush on it to clean the lens off inside the PS2 so you dont have to open it. if you have a pop top PS2 (the newer annorexic one) go to a camera store and get a in expensive lens cleaning brush. its like an air douche with a brush on the end, its function is obvious. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE LENS WITH THE BRUSH go lightly over the side pumping air, if you get one that isnt a pump thing dont worry about it it was just an added feature.

as usual i hold no responsibility to what happens, things can go wrong.
i've fixed quite a few consoles (3 of them being PS2s) and i have only had one dreamcast not come back from the dead, most of the issues were minor or common problems easily fixed but thats when you buy them cheap, PS2s and game cubes for $20? cant beat that!

Well follow the suggestion the other guy made and take it to gamestop or game crazy... or any place that deals in used games and have them polish the disc for you. Either that or return it to the place you bought it and exchange it for another disc.

Back