• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG FNG- First post and build log thread- Custom Parvum/SLI/Water Cooled PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would just test with the APU that's incoming, it will have an integrated GPU.

The TT X9 Snow White Edition came in today. Not sure if it's staying it's larger than I figured it to be........ will have to think this one over......

Looks great though and hell of a bargain for what I paid.

So have made some head way on my end I guess you could say, still tossing around a few scenarios but clearer picture for my gaming build while I wait for the borrowed APU to dial in the wife's build.

I ordered a 6600K CPU for my build. I think I'm going to leave the GPU on air, as from what I have seen I can have a lot of fun with a 970 on air, particularly the one I have on my list, but I am open to suggestions of course.

So this leaves the CPU. How much of a difference is an AIO like the EK Predator going to make over a high end CPU cooler?

Thanks for the help guys:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

Last edited:
Ok guys, getting ready to place my order for the remaining parts for my gaming build. But couple of questions here......

1) Noctua: NH-D14 vs NH-D15: Is the 15 worth the extra $$?

2) ASRock Z170: Extreme6 vs Extreme6+, aside from the front panel 3.1 USB on the + what else do you get for the higher cost? I don't need that front panel but want to make sure I'm not missing anything else........

Thanks

1) Not for gaming.
2) AFAIK it only adds the front panel, but compare the specs and see.

1) Not for gaming.
2) AFAIK it only adds the front panel, but compare the specs and see.

The specs seem to be a mixed bag all over because most folks have the specs for both listed together on their websites. However, from what I see on the ASRock website directly, the difference is just the number of the USB connectors. But I found one review that says their Extreme 6 (not the +) also came with the front panel so I'm confused. I did see the Extreme 6 is the bottom end of the 12 power phase :thup: I just don't want to pay un necessarily for things I won't use. I just want to be sure I have PWM fan headers to make life easy for the build is all.

As for the CPU cooler, yes it will be a gaming rig, but I will be pushing the clocks to have some fun for a while to wait out and see what comes this year before getting into the dedicated benching rig. So I want to be able to take the 6600K to the limit that SL says it will go to (4.8 on AIO) :D Just read the review on the Ninja 4 now and..........

Only look at the manufacturer site when comparing features between two models.

Well I ordered the rest of the parts I needed. Went with the D15 because it comes with the PWM fans, and I ordered (2) Noctua AF-14 PWM case fans for the front of the R5. I also changed the RAM to Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 at the suggestion of another member to make sure I have no RAM clearance issues with the D15 CPU cooler. I digress and went with the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ because EVGA just has great service and they do the upgrade stuff if something much better comes out within X amount of time, and because aside from having a dual BIOS this GPU also has a switch to go between them. Just makes me more comfortable to not brick a GPU later on lol.....

As for the motherboard, the sale price of the Extreme 6 was just too good to pass at newegg so that's what I went with. For this build in particular the extras of the 6+ just seemed like a waste for things that would not be used.

So here's the build link in final config:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

Plan is the (2) AF-14's up front, no rear fan or grille, and the (2) fans on the D15 blowing back towards the rear of the case. Leaving the moduvents up top. This should keep the case cool, quiet, and fairly dust free. I want to see how it operates like this.

I appreciate everyone's help thus far. In the next day or so the borrowed APU for the wife's build should be here and by the end of the week all of my parts for my build that I still need as well as the 750 Ti for the wife's build. So if all goes well I will be setting up software this weekend and early into next week and then I can start messing with OC's and what not and start playing some games.

Then the monitor hunt begins..........

Last edited:
Skylake in da house :D

IMG_20160126_133436020_zpsdl3edl09.jpg

IMG_20160126_133503180_zpsswo9a1d9.jpg

Ordered a Dell 2715H monitor. Price was right, and it gets good reviews and was recommend by more than one person I know who owns one. :thup:

Now on to configure my F@H rig........

Thideras has four of those, they're super nice.
Basically like a higher res and bigger screen version of my three U2414H.

Thideras has four of those, they're super nice.
Basically like a higher res and bigger screen version of my three U2414H.

That's good to know thanks. I will most likely add more as I upgrade GPU's later but figured this was a good start and with a 60hz max the 970 OC should at east give me playable frame rates in the games that I play currently.

I was looking at his LG but decided on the Dell after researching the two......

The Dell U2715H is a vastly superior monitor to any LG that I'm aware of.

Ok so thanks to Caddi Daddi for the help, this is what I have proposed for the F@H build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=xZ69TW

Can't believe I couldn't find an APU anywhere locally completely absurd lol. So I just ordered the 5400K from the Egg. Couldn't beat the sale price.

Just need to decide on an MATX case for the build..... would like something quiet since this will be running all the time.

:thup:

Ok so thanks to Caddi Daddi for the help, this is what I have proposed for the F@H build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=xZ69TW

Can't believe I couldn't find an APU anywhere locally completely absurd lol. So I just ordered the 5400K from the Egg. Couldn't beat the sale price.

Just need to decide on an MATX case for the build..... would like something quiet since this will be running all the time.

:thup:

Check this one out Evil.

http://www.nanoxiausa.com/pc-cases/mini-tower/deep-silence-4-micro-atx-htpc-case

For a single 970 and an A6 most likely. I'm not sure what brand Nanoxia uses for their fans but you could always upgrade to some Noctua industrial's or NoiseBlocker eLoops if they had a hard time keeping up.

For a single 970 and an A6 most likely. I'm not sure what brand Nanoxia uses for their fans but you could always upgrade to some Noctua industrial's or NoiseBlocker eLoops if they had a hard time keeping up.

Yeah this is what keeps me looking back to Fractal and their cases....but I have no exp with their matx cases........

Take the $100 case and add the cost of two good Noctuas and......

Back