• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
THERMO DYNAMICS YEA !

THIS IS AN OUT STANDING READ I THINK IT SHOULD BE A SICKY ON THE HOME PAGE OF THIS FORUM AT THE TOP. JUST TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE HAS A CHANCE TO READ. IT WILL HELP ALOT OF THE NEW PEOPLE(LIKE ME) UNDERSTAND THE MECHANICL THERMO DYNAMICS OF THEIR CPU'S AND CASES:burn:

Wow, lapping my heatsink dropped my cpu temp 9 degrees celcius, and raised my system temp 6 degrees for some odd reason.

that makes relative sense, if your core temp dropped nine degrees then the heat energy has to go somewhere - so its hanging out in your case for now, exhaust fans might drop core temp even further.

It is still rather strange, its unusual that the case temperature would rise that much.

However if there is a 'hot spot' somewhere that will certainly explain it.

M_N

great info maximus as i'm reading this sticky for the first time

Maximus Nickus said:
Cooling-The Definitive Guide

A great tip to maximise the use of airflow in your case is to do the following:
You will need 1 sheet of see-through glass or plastic the size of your case panel, and 1 incense stick.
Simply replace the side of your case with the sheet of plastic/glass and put the incense stick in front of the PC (not to close…do I smell burning?) and watch the smoke move around your PC, this allows you to see “hot-spots” and other problems with your airflow.

I'd like to add one bit of info to the above, which is that smoke is VERY BAD for electronics. I don't know about specific kinds of incense but regular cigarette smoke contains among other things small amounts of acid. Over time that smoke will build up a thin layer of 'gunk' on your computer internals and will shorten the life of them. Your case fan will help this process since it draws/pushes more smoke to go through your pc.

A once in awhile test described by maximus above probably won't do any damage, the shortening of life I talk about is far longer than the turnover ratio of people getting newer PC's.
and heck, with faster systems coming out everyday, maybe you'd want an excuse to get that new system...

Re: Re: Cooling-The Definitive Guide

slapshot45 said:
great info maximus as i'm reading this sticky for the first time

I'd like to add one bit of info to the above, which is that smoke is VERY BAD for electronics. I don't know about specific kinds of incense but regular cigarette smoke contains among other things small amounts of acid. Over time that smoke will build up a thin layer of 'gunk' on your computer internals and will shorten the life of them. Your case fan will help this process since it draws/pushes more smoke to go through your pc.

A once in awhile test described by maximus above probably won't do any damage, the shortening of life I talk about is far longer than the turnover ratio of people getting newer PC's.
and heck, with faster systems coming out everyday, maybe you'd want an excuse to get that new system...

You are certainly correct, however incense it usually relatively harmless, and when you consider the amount of people who smoke in the same room as their PC you can clearly see that it doesn't have a drastic affect. However as you said I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence.

Thanks for the contributions, :)
M_N

pour a mixture of Water and a FEW DROPS of Washing up liquid (stops it sticking) onto the paper.

so what exactly is "Washing up liquid?" is that like just plain hand soap or dishwashing soap or maybe i'm wrong all together...and is it worth it to buy BRASS-O just for a few drops to clean the bottom probably once or twice? or could i do w/o it?

kimbahpnam said:

so what exactly is "Washing up liquid?" is that like just plain hand soap or dishwashing soap or maybe i'm wrong all together...and is it worth it to buy BRASS-O just for a few drops to clean the bottom probably once or twice? or could i do w/o it?

Washing up liquid is that Greeny slimy solution that is used to clean up your dishes. It is used to provide a smoother surface to stop the Heatsink from sticking, providing a flatter smoother end product.

You could use Brass-O (I use it myself) to polish up the bottom of the Heatsink / Waterblock, but I mainly use it for looks. You can certainly do without it because it doesn't affect performance of a newly lapped Heatsink.
If the base has tarnished however it will certainly help performance.

Good Luck,
M_N

Whats about lapping HS and Heatspreader of a P4 ? Is it risky 'cos of metalldusk getting throught the small hole in the
corner ?

Do you recommended this ? Its Cooper under the nickeled Surface...

greetz

I have seen people lap their P4 and even AMD's and gained a few Degree's. But I would not recommend it.

With the current line of Heatsinks and Thermal products it really wouldn't make much of a difference, and it is rather risky. If you can afford a new P4 and your desperate for a few Degrees then give it a go by all means, but the risks outweigh the benefits IMO.

Good Luck,
M_N

The 'Washing Up Liquid' I refer too is the slimy (often green) solution you use to wash up your cutlery and dishes, I use it simply because of the slimy texture that stops the Heatsink sticking to the sandpaper.

Of course you don't have to use washing up liquid but I have found through trial and error that it works very well, you may also wish to take into account that washing up liquid is safe for prolonged use and skin contact, other items may not be.

M_N

I have a question regarding the volume of a case in air cooling rigs. I am under the impression that the smaller the volume the better, as the speed of air molecules inside the case would increase (intake and outtake fans remaining the same. This would increase the cooling potential right? For example, a shoebox with and 80mm in and an 80mm out would have higher velocity of air INSIDE the box and say, a refrigerator box with an 80mm in and an 80mm out. By this rationalization, a smaller volume inside is preferable, assuming a decent path for the air, and unrestricted in/out ports right?
thx.

Dr.Octopus said:
I have a question regarding the volume of a case in air cooling rigs. I am under the impression that the smaller the volume the better, as the speed of air molecules inside the case would increase (intake and outtake fans remaining the same. This would increase the cooling potential right? For example, a shoebox with and 80mm in and an 80mm out would have higher velocity of air INSIDE the box and say, a refrigerator box with an 80mm in and an 80mm out. By this rationalization, a smaller volume inside is preferable, assuming a decent path for the air, and unrestricted in/out ports right?
thx.

In essence you seem correct, however there’s a lot more too it.

You see the speed of the airflow may be increased, but you see the volume of air in a case would have to be very small (around the diameter of the fan) to affect the airflow enough to maybe affect the temperatures.
This is because of some fan designs, they are designed to push out air in a linear fashion and not over a wide area, thusly a smaller area would do more of a job isolating the fan than increasing the velocity of air.
This depends on the fan of course so you would have to experiment.

What does make a difference to temperatures in a small case is Ducting, isolating the path of airflow is a very good option for increasing the cooling capabilities.
This is because you are isolating the cool air so it reaches say the CPU much cooler than it would have if it had been travelling through the case, bearing in mind this will only work well if you have a high case temperature or a hot spot within your case.

You must also weigh the advantages to the disadvantages, in a small case the lower volume of air tends to heat up very quickly as to larger cases and thusly you would need a much higher rate of airflow to replenish the cool air supply.
I have seen large Server cases with a mere 2x 80mm fans (1x Intake 1x Exhaust) outperform small cases with 4x 80mm fans (2x Intake 2x Exhaust.) This is due to the larger Surface Area you have to work with, > the larger the area the less heat there will be in one given place of that area.

So yes in theory your idea will work, but it really depends on the fan design used. And even if you did manage to increase the speed of airflow you will loose much more than you gain.
For the best temperatures larger cases are the way to go.

M_N

Back