• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering trying to mine....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting. Now you did say you were using dstm miner now right? And not Nicehash's miner?

Interesting. Now you did say you were using dstm miner now right? And not Nicehash's miner?

Note, I did update my post a bit more with some extra values and ranges in my previous post.
Yes I'm using dstm miner right now. He does have a 2% dev fee and mining Zcash only. I was using EWBF but I was scoring what ended up being 2-3% less with his, with or without the fee.

I played around a little at lunch time with different miners / and rates and even back with Ethereum to mine. For Eth its close but not worth it to me yet to switch back to that even with my reduced speeds on at least my 1060 and 290 cards and its close but still not enough for me to switch production since my 1060's suck at Eth thanks to Hyrix memory. I'm sure I had better memory on those cards I could easily get back into it. Heck my 290 can score 22.5MH/sec at a highly reduced TDP (60%) with 800Mhz core and 1350Mem. I get roughly still an extra $30-40 a month more on Zcash vs Ethereum.

Yeah, it seems ethereum is an AMD mining coin for the most part.

Guess its more with the fact that even at full tilt on my old card it can still mine with the best of of most of the other AMD cards out there (excluding Vega).
Then again drop $3,000 on a Volta card and enjoy 77+MH/sec out of that beast! Insane.

Yeah, it seems ethereum is an AMD mining coin for the most part.

disagree here
i find nvidia's cards to be more efficient per watt in eth
for ex my 1070 does 30mhs @ 120w
the 480s do 29mhs @ 135w
only difference is the price of the 1070 is higher, but as of late not so much higher since 580s went the hek up too

570's are where it's at. nearly the same performance as 580's at a cheaper price.

my 580 is less than 2 MH faster than my 570's. and it seems that most 570's AND 580's fall in the 25-30 MH/s range varying across all models, mem sizes and mem types.

570 4GB models are the best value IMO, but i wont pay more than $250 for one. and no more than $280 for a 580. but thats hard to come by recently.

Depends a bit on what's available at what price when you look. When I picked up the 3x 580 8GB, it really wan't a significant saving to get a 4GB model or 570 instead. I figure, with 8GB card it'll have better potential resell value for gaming if that ever happens. I don't actually ever sell much kit...

Depends a bit on what's available at what price when you look. When I picked up the 3x 580 8GB, it really wan't a significant saving to get a 4GB model or 570 instead. I figure, with 8GB card it'll have better potential resell value for gaming if that ever happens. I don't actually ever sell much kit...

Only reason why I got the 6GB vs 3GB cards for my 1060's because of potential resale value eventually.

Whew glad I pulled out when I did with Ripple.... Guess right now its just mine and hold til the market regains some strength and bounces back from the extreme jump.

picked up another MSI Armor 4GB 580 from microcenter this morning. $279.

they had just got a shipment of tons of 1060's, 1070's, 1080's 1080ti's, rx 570's, and 580's.

they now limit you to 2 cards. however i do not know if that is per transaction. maybe you could just walk out to your car and walk back in.

but the guy did confirm that it's only a limit of 2 per sku, so you can by say 2 of one card, and 2 of another, and so on.

Is that the baltimore/towson store?

1957 E Joppa Road
Parkville, MD 21234

Correct? Thats about 2 hours drive, I wonder if the deals are good enough on the 1070's and 1080's to make it worth the drive. Tax is 6% in MD right? Is there any local taxes?

I edited my thread, is there any local tax?

Nothing is coming up on their website, I guess those are too fresh. I guess I'll wait until they are listed and just see the prices and just put a hold on it. Can't risk driving that far for no reason.

no local tax, just 6% state tax.

it seems they haven't updated their website. it also showed no stock when i went to the store, but when i walked in i asked the guy what he had and he said they just got a bunch and showed me. looked like they had a handful of most of the cards.

MSI 570s and 580s in both 4 and 8GB, 1060's, 1070's, 1080ti's. i didn't see the exact stock for each one. if you head down, i would just ask the guy what they have available. the fact that it's not on the website will probably keep the hounds non-the-wiser for a short while.

The one listed a few posts up. In the Baltimore area.

I always wonder when/if I will bump into you guys. I think Nebulous is the only one close to me. :D

I finally got my miner to work with 2 cards, but I must have a bad PCIe slot because on my Maximus Extreme (LGA 1155) I cannot get more than 2 cards working no matter what I do. This is the same mobo which does not work with 32GB of RAM in any configuration, so I'm thinking something is pooped on this board.

I have an old P67 with a bad PCIe x 16 slot (thx Dad), and a 2600K, but I want to make sure I'm using a CPU with lowest power requirements possible. I need to post some of my pics.

I got the 8th card installed in my rig.

7uuULzd.jpg

But with 8 cards installed, it won’t POST. Thought it was just a problem with my gigabyte board. No bios settings seemed to work.

Swapped in the Asrock H97 Anniversary. Reinstalled windows, got up to 7 GPUs working fine, but again once I added the 8th the board won’t POST. Either no video, or it freezes at the splash screen. I’ve tried updating the BIOS to the latest version (which was an endevour in itself...), and all combinations of available BIOS options. “Above 4G decoding” is not an available option on this board. And I think that’s my problem. I guess most older boards just don’t have the capability to assign more than 7 PCIe devices. I need a board that supports it, will have to be a newer one I guess. I did manage to trick it once. I took a change and plugged in the USB cable from the 8th card right after POST and before windows loaded. Windows saw the 8th card but reported errors on it (not unexpected since I’m doing cowboy stuff here lol).

For now it’s running the 7 cards but I have all 8 installed. I’m checking the thermals with this tight spacing. After running 8hrs cards are still holding 65C target temp but with higher fan speeds. About 40-60% fans, and about 930W pull from the wall. Idle it pulls 145W at the wall.

Also just to note more cowboy stuff. Even though this is a platinum rated high end PSU, it only has 6 8-pin PCIe connectors. However, it does have 2x 8-pin CPU connectors. I made an adapter to pull the power from the 2nd unused CPU adapter to power cards 7 and 8. It’s been running alone on just card 7 for over a week. 12v is 12v and this PSU has a single massive 100A 12v rail so it doesn’t really matter where I pull from. But for anyone that might try this, DO NOT try to plug in a CPU 8-pin straight to a PCIE 8-pin. The power and ground connections are opposite and you need to flip them or else you’ll likely bork something up. I took great care to ensure I was doing this right.

Last edited:
Strange. Personally I would still try molex to PCIe adapters instead of using the CPU cable. I know it's all 12v and same rail, but I dunno at this point it seems worth a try.

Nice rig. Hopefully you'll get the 8th card up and going. Plan on making any more rigs or just sitting with the one?

Back