• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Charity Build- Narcolepsy UK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glent

Registered
My son Connor is 12 he diagnosed with Narcolepsy and Cateplexy in 2011. He wishes to do something very unique to raise awareness of his conditions .
These builds will be given away!

About Connor and his project

What is Narcolepsy and Cataplexy?

Narcolepsy affects energy levels, its referred to as ES (Excessive sleepiness ) or EDS (Excessive daytime sleepiness ) This means Connor has an overwhelming urge to sleep more often than average, This can and will happen involuntary and of course this is frustrating for him.

Many assume its a trivial thing thinking it can't be that bad...but its more then been just being tired.

A long time sufferer said this to me
“Imagine starting every day feeling exhausted like you've never slept for days, you can't just catch up on sleep, it doesn't work like that”

its a constant and can very difficult to do day to day tasks. Most of the time he can't watch all of his favourite movies, he can't be out with friends for long periods, he can't bathe without someone being near by incase he falls asleep. People often joke about saying it would be a blessing, its really not.

While the severity between one case and another varies, before his change in lifestyle and regular medication he would often sleep in excess of 20 Hours a day

Cataplexy is the condition Connor does not tolerate very well. A Cataplexy attack is cost most often by laughter or other triggers including embarrassment or shocks
For some temporary weakness in facial muscles is common, Connor case causes frequent collapses, not being able to move from seconds to minutes.

There are some other unpleasant symptoms such as hallucinations and sleep paralysis

Unfortunately Narcolepsy tends be difficult to diagnose, it often is misdiagnosed as other similar conditions. Some cases have taken 10 years to confirm.
With the correct medication and lifestyle changes, Connor can lead a relatively normal life. Sadly there is no “cure” for Narcolepsy yet . Connor and other sufferers would hope that one day soon there is.

He wants to raise much needed awareness of Narcolpesy & Cataplexy. Connor had a simple idea, using technology as an incentive to raise awareness. We discussed his plan and reached out for support. His requests where filled by an unbelievable list of sponsors.

Narcolpesy UK does a phenomenal job of supporting and advising so many people. All funds raised are donated direct to them.

Narcolepsy-UK-logo-resized.png
For more detailed information please visit

http://www.narcolepsy.org.uk

What is the event?

This is a Donate to enter event -virtual raffle

How does it work?

Every donation secures a place in the raffle (Virtual Ticket). From the list of donators, Winners will be randomly picked and awarded the prizes

What is the prize(s)?

Two complete Computers. Pre assembled by connor and ready to use. Plus runner up prizes such as cases and hardware.

Where did the prizes come from?

Every single piece of hardware was sponsored (given) to Connor, The parts have come from around the world, from individuals ,shops and the manufactures themselves.

Donations from anywhere are welcome. Unfortunately due to complications with shipping costs, tax and imports duty. This is a UK only event.

Interested? Then head over the link below and enter

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ConnorsBuild

Sponsors for Build one, 1st place prize in the draw

newfractal.png

[/QUOTE]

Sponsors for Build TWO (2nd place prize in the draw)
hazared.png

Runner Up Prizes
CoolerMaster Cosmos II case
CoolerMaster 850W PSU + Fan Controller

coolermaster.jpg

Good luck to all and thank you to ALL of his sponsors for making this idea become reality!

Todays current total as of 16/08/12 is £1,193.88 !
The target has also been reduced from £2.000 down to £1,500

Remember this is most importantly about raising awareness. One day soon we hope for a "cure"

if donating is not an option for you, you can help us promote the raffle event via Facebook & Twitter

Connors Facebook page
www.facebook.com/ConnorsCharityBuildForNarcolepsyUk

Thank You
John

First post edited 28/08/2012

Last edited:
That is great that companies jump in to help like that! Good luck with the builds and good luck to your son. :thup:

When companies donate to causes like this it really puts them in a better light in my opinion. Im glad antec, fractal, gigabyte and all those companies are donating into this. Keep us updating with all your builds and thanks for throwing the companies that donate some good advertising and word of mouth.

You have a fine looking son and I know you and your wife are very proud. Building the rigs was probably the easiest part. Amassing the parts required the most work and determination. Congratulations to your son for his hard work, planning, and simply sticking with the project. That boy will go far in his life.

Bob

Its nice to see people taking up these kind of roles in help of charities, its nicer to see companies back them up. Corsair, I know from other builds are one of the best companies for doing this. Don't think there the kind of people who back down from supporting where they can

Ok, manufacturers for next builds.
- Gigabyte, check.
- Antec, check.
- Steelseries, check.
- Sapphire, check.
- Kingston, check.
- FractalDesign, check.
- Crucial, check.
- Corsair, check.

Congratulations on this, it's really good to see kids getting more involved with the modern technology people are relying on more and more. Any chance of a link to where we can enter these raffles from?

// SkuToV

That is great that companies jump in to help like that! Good luck with the builds and good luck to your son. :thup:

Thank you

When companies donate to causes like this it really puts them in a better light in my opinion. Im glad antec, fractal, gigabyte and all those companies are donating into this. Keep us updating with all your builds and thanks for throwing the companies that donate some good advertising and word of mouth.

Thanks, We Will be making regular posts :)

You have a fine looking son and I know you and your wife are very proud. Building the rigs was probably the easiest part. Amassing the parts required the most work and determination. Congratulations to your son for his hard work, planning, and simply sticking with the project. That boy will go far in his life.

Bob

Thanks Bob, Words can't describe how proud we are.

:cool: Good work!!

Keep it up :thup:

Thanks!

Thats a really nice idea, Subscribed :)

Its nice to see people taking up these kind of roles in help of charities, its nicer to see companies back them up. Corsair, I know from other builds are one of the best companies for doing this. Don't think there the kind of people who back down from supporting where they can

Support from all companies involved has been amazing!

Ok, manufacturers for next builds.
- Gigabyte, check.
- Antec, check.
- Steelseries, check.
- Sapphire, check.
- Kingston, check.
- FractalDesign, check.
- Crucial, check.
- Corsair, check.

Agree!

Congratulations on this, it's really good to see kids getting more involved with the modern technology people are relying on more and more. Any chance of a link to where we can enter these raffles from?

// SkuToV

We planned for this to be UK only,mostly for fear of the a the prize being lost or damaged. If theirs enough demand outside of the UK, we'll consider opening this open to more areas.

Donation page is up at
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ConnorsBuild

Connors been eager to start work, Loads of things are here now and he's already done a window cut to the antec case.

20120527_134159.jpg

We'll get the next shot up when the trim arrives.

Thanks all

Thanks to our new sponsors!

crucial_logo.png

20120607_093543.jpg
16GB DDR 3 Crucial ballistix!

&

corsair_logo.jpg

20120607_093317-1.jpg

Corsair Hydro H80 and Force GT 120GB SDD!

Connors really not doing to well today so no work photos yet, The final pieces for build two should be here soon, We'll get to work asap.

Huge thanks for all the support guys, pardon the cliché but this means so much to him!

Looks like your progressing pretty well!

Its really nice to see these big companies getting involved and supporting these sort of projects. I know what brands are going to be on my short list when I start shopping for new parts. I just ordered some crucial memory earlier this week but the bank holiday is holding up the postage

Thanks for posting the donate link, I donated a little bit the other evening, I hope you meet your target.

Wait. This 12 year old boy, can build an entire computer, AND mod the case...

I'm 19, and I can't do the latter! Awesome cause BTW!

Such an awesome project. Excited to see how it all comes out. Cheers to you and your son, keep up the good work, he is doing great!

Subed!

great log! keep it up mate. Its starting to take shape :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Looks like your progressing pretty well!

Its really nice to see these big companies getting involved and supporting these sort of projects. I know what brands are going to be on my short list when I start shopping for new parts. I just ordered some crucial memory earlier this week but the bank holiday is holding up the postage

Thanks for posting the donate link, I donated a little bit the other evening, I hope you meet your target.

Thank you and Good luck!

Wait. This 12 year old boy, can build an entire computer, AND mod the case...

I'm 19, and I can't do the latter! Awesome cause BTW!

hehe he's a very talented boy!

Wait, me does not understand.

Why does he need an Antec cooling solution and a Corsair one?

Two computers are being built :thup:

Such an awesome project. Excited to see how it all comes out. Cheers to you and your son, keep up the good work, he is doing great!

Subed!

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, Connor has been struggling with his conditions the past week. He is now feeling better. We'll get to work asap!

Support is still pouring in , We are now in a position to offer runner up prizes aswell.

More news to follow but I will leave this teaser image for one of the prizes!

mqdefault.jpg

Till next time friends and thanks for all the support

First Post updated.

Just a small update today. Connor did what he could, we'll plan to finish up tomorrow.

The following are mocks only. Not final

Antec Case (2nd prize)
The window had been already mocked up,

20120527_134159.jpg

We had a minor slip drilling some pilot holes for the jigsaw. Never mind

Time to cut it.
20120614_144435.jpg

Was a rough ride but he got it done!
20120614_200843.jpg

Time to mark the window
20120614_143016.jpg

Tools ready..Check
20120614_175853.jpg

Connor wanted the window to sit flat and not behind the side panel. We plan to achieve this using some channel moulding.

Work is still rough and requires some sanding & Filing to be done.

20120614_180343-1.jpg

20120614_182324.jpg

Connor will be working something like this

530a266a2ac692dc36f70925ce46b3faimage280x280.jpg

into the design, We have some nice carbon fibre on the way also..Its going to look great.

More to follow...

The image I posted earlier can be revealed.!

Welcome and thank to the latest sponsor of the project.

coolermaster_logo.jpg

They sent some epic gear over.

coolermaster.jpg

!!Cosmos II and a 850w Silent Pro Hybrid PSU!!

These will be used a Runner Up prizes. Even more reason to donate eh?

Till till next time , thanks to to all the sponsors involved and to all for reading.

Back