• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you still get text messages if mobile data is turned off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

It doesn't make much sense, but I was able to get text messages on my old dumb phone so...maybe?

SMS you can, yes (MMS you cannot). It(SMS) is a non-voice basic service similar to telephony and other basic services (think call waiting). It does not use cellular data.

So if I turn off Mobile Data MMS messages will be lost? Or will it wait 'til I can get a WiFi connection then download the MMS messages to my phone?

AFAIK MMS & SMS go over the cell towers (hence the terrible compression if you send a video, for example). If you use chat such as iMessage (Apple) or RCS (Google), those use the internet and would be downloaded after you connected to an internet source.

If you use RCS and it can't send, it will usually ask if you want to use SMS/MMS instead, which happens frequently at my office b/c my signal on Verizon is terrible in our building.

Back