• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building this computer Vs Buying at best buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyngusitic

Registered
Hello all! i would love some feedback on this computer i plan on building this month, it will be my 2nd gaming computer ive owned since the one i have now is getting old(about 5 years)and i think its time to retire.

But ive got a few questions because i dont really like buying stuff online, I have a gaming computer I've picked out on best buy that i like, but ive been hearing bad things about buying from stores and cheap parts that come with.

this is the one at best buy im looking at

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPo...rive/1295117.p?id=1219047438229&skuId=1295117

Vs the one i want to build, please let me know if i am leaving anything out, or if you recommend something else, i really want to try to stay under 800$

BLUETOOTH: None
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color) [-12]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+10]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: * CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CS: None
FREEBIE_VC: None
FREEBIE_VC2: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD1: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+5]
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI 970A-G43 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie II, Winki 3, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE1: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply [+25]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TABLET: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+32] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
PRICE: (+782)$

All feedback is very much appreciated

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this computer? Please be as specific as possible.
  • What is your budget (in your own currency)?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripherals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

hey, all the information is there, I'm trying to stay under 800$ I've bolded all the information i feel thats most important, first time building my own, i dont know if im leaving anything out. Or if i should just buy the one from best buy.

So you do live in the United States and don't live by a Microcenter? Just making sure...usually people who put the currency symbol after the number aren't American.

yeah im from new jersey, the only close stores are bestbuy and costco, these details are from the site im building from (cyberpower)

Paying someone to build it for you isn't exactly building it yourself. :p You save a lot of money buy actually purchasing the parts individually and assembling it alone.

Sucky thing is you live in New Jersey, that's one of the three states that charge tax on Newegg orders (the biggest computer part store).

Yeah i know :/ well i dont know how to build computers myself, i was just wondering if it would be a better idea to build from the actual cyberpower site then buying a cyberpower pc from bestbuy, and your opinions on both builds

lyngusitic, welcome to the forum, the two builds you posted, I wouldn't buy:

The best buy one I cannot see what motherboard the system has. When going with the newer FX 6/8 series processors, a quality motherboard is an essential part.

The second build what I posted above also applies, I wouldn't put an Fx chip on that MSI board.

Knufire will put together a system that will meet your needs. He is very good at putting systems together for people that will fit your needs and budget.

Are you near the Microcenter in Patterson Nj? If you close you can always go to best buy and they will match the prices that Microcenter has.

Building your own system is easy, you just need patience and the gumption to do it.

lyngusitic, welcome to the forum, the two builds you posted, I wouldn't buy:

The best buy one I cannot see what motherboard the system has. When going with the newer FX 6/8 series processors, a quality motherboard is an essential part.

The second build what I posted above also applies, I wouldn't put an Fx chip on that MSI board.

Knufire will put together a system that will meet your needs. He is very good at putting systems together for people that will fit your needs and budget.

thank you very much for all the lightning speed replies!

which one of these motherboards would you recommend?

motherboard.jpg

Are you against building it yourself?

The lowest priced motherboard I would put a Fx 6 series processor on is the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, I would also get the Fx 6300 over the 6100.

Are you against building it yourself?

The lowest priced motherboard I would put a Fx 6 series processor on is the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, I would also get the Fx 6300 over the 6100.

this site is awesome, and no im not against building myself, i just dont trust myself with all the parts going together with out starting myself on fire :p lol

I added the fx6300 and the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. it came to 808$ still within budget

for the most part ive been gaming with the HP media center i purchased over 5 years ago (quad core) and the only thing ive upgraded was the graphics card (8800GT) from a 9600GT and a power supply. So far this computer has been my best computer and ive had no regrets, even though its not really a gaming computer, ive been able to play most games even up till now smoothly on medium - high graphics (high most games) having a little struggle with battlefield 3, arma 2, bioshock infinite, all still very playable on this computer.

but i want my new computer to be more then just "playable" i want all my games to run at 40+ FPS

if you notice anything else in my build let me know because i dont know if im missing anything, i really dont know anything about building myself, i usually always just goto best buy, thats where i got the pc im using right now

new specs after all your sugguestions

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+10]
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, Ultra Durable™3, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, IEEE1394a, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+26]
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+32] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Price $808

Please, just build it yourself and don't get it from CyberPowerPC.

I teach a class to high school freshmen about how to build a computer, it's that easy. If you can use a screwdriver, you can put a computer together.

Choosing what parts to get is harder than putting it together, and we're willing to walk you through the process and help you with both the choosing and the building. :)

I'll probably just get the one from bestbuy if it doesnt work out right in my build, i dont wanna go through the trouble building it myself

I'll probably just get the one from bestbuy if it doesnt work out right in my build, i dont wanna go through the trouble building it myself
Suit yourself, I purchased Pc's years ago from Cyberpower and had no issues with them, then I started building my own. Anyhow, the latest build looks ok, depending on the resolution you're gaming at and what settings you may be able to get a consistent 40 fps with it. What PSU are you purchasing, I don't see one listed.

Building a computer from parts can be quite intimidating to those who have never done it and don't feel confident with their technical skills, but it is also rewarding when you do build a rig yourself, not only in personal achievement, but also with regards to the quality of components you are free to choose. OTS (off the shelf) systems are constantly known for being built by manufacturers who cut corners to maximize profits, where some components will be quality items while others are not, leaving you with limited expansion and upgrade options where you're forced to buy a new system more often. Keep in mind that BestBuy, Cyberpower, and their suppliers ALL need to make a profit from the consumer, when you can cut out the middlemen and save money as well as have a better system that has more potential and last longer.

Suit yourself, I purchased Pc's years ago from Cyberpower and had no issues with them, then I started building my own. Anyhow, the latest build looks ok, depending on the resolution you're gaming at and what settings you may be able to get a consistent 40 fps with it. What PSU are you purchasing, I don't see one listed.

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

i have a 1680x1050 monitor also, thanks very much for all the help so far

Do yourself a favor and build this yourself.

You won't get this kind of performance from CyberPower this cheap.

Build.

Yeah i know :/ well i dont know how to build computers myself, i was just wondering if it would be a better idea to build from the actual cyberpower site then buying a cyberpower pc from bestbuy, and your opinions on both builds

Just a fyi: I didn't know squat about building a PC and was able to do it with about 3-4 hours of "research." I made a few mistakes (Ultra PSU, 2133MHz RAM for an i5 and low level GPU, which all work fine right now, BTW...) but actually putting them together is easy. The hardest thing for me was figuring out where to put the case power connections (reset, speaker, sound, fan control etc) on the motherboard and there are many walkthroughs online. All I used was a screwdriver.

thank you everyone for all the replies so far, this is what i have come up with, i heard the amd fx cards not working too well with the gigabyte motherboards so i changed it to this asus, let me know what you think?

Configuration
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+10]
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) [+0]

Back