• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to Rosetta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
With the new A3 core coming into FaH I'm losing 40% of my points on A3 core WUs (~1150 vs. 1900) on my X2 and my laptop is just making deadlines running 24/7.

I decided I'd switch back to Rosetta - got both sig-rigs on it now :)

Welcome back! I'm hoping a bunch of dual core people will make the switch now that the A3 units are murdering their points. That's part of why i'm here :D

Welcome back! I'm hoping a bunch of dual core people will make the switch now that the A3 units are murdering their points. That's part of why i'm here :D

Yeah both are dual core - the laptop is ancient but I'm a little peeved that a 3 GHz Athlon X2 is getting such a massive points drop.

I do get some sort of enjoyment at watching my RAC slowly rise ... need to see what else I can muster :D. Need to get the boss in a good mood.

In a strange twist of fate, the dual Xeon 2.8GHz (ancient!) box that has been sat broken under my desk at Uni for months *actually* boots now. Downloading Debian for it just now, I can run it headless under my desk and crunch some Rosetta. :)

(not my power bill)

Ah the competition might be getting stiff then :>

Rosetta is great, at my around 3ghz i start getting bonus points on WUs compared to what my box asks for.
My dad's Phenom II gets huge bonuses sometimes, and always gets more then asked for.
Got 124 points for a 55-60 point WU a couple days ago :D

EDIT:
Sometime this morning my rosetta client had a brain fart, this afternoon it started about eleven threads all at once, sucked up 3gb of memory, and died.

What's nice is that the log file saw what was happening and suggested i reset the project.
Click one button and Presto! Back in action.

Last edited:
The dual 2.8 GHz Xeon w/ HT is folding now. It's not a particularly fast rig but ought to help a little. I have the HT enabled and it's crunching away at four units :)

Welcome back to Rosetta, David. :thup:

You know, I think that Vijay and the rest of the F@H project have lost site of their original intentions for their project by just using the unused cycles of people's everyday computers because of the strong base they had with teams that would build dedicated machines specifically for their project. So they keep coming up with more and more advanced methods of crunching/folding, which basically leaves everything but very high end equipment in the dust. And I think that sooner or later this will backfire on them as people get tired of upgrading perfectly good equipment just to be able to competitively fold. I've found that the BOINC project isn't as bad on equipment needs as F@H and even older systems can produce good return on their crunching time. That's a big reason I quit Stanford's project some years ago. And unlike all the buggy folding clients, BOINC has matured really well and is much better at "plug and play" for unattended machines. I've been gone from the house for going on 17 days now and checking my computers on the Rosetta site shows all 3 of the machines I left on Rosetta happily crunching away and turning in healthy RAC. :D

Welcome back to Rosetta, David. :thup:

You know, I think that Vijay and the rest of the F@H project have lost site of their original intentions for their project by just using the unused cycles of people's everyday computers because of the strong base they had with teams that would build dedicated machines specifically for their project. So they keep coming up with more and more advanced methods of crunching/folding, which basically leaves everything but very high end equipment in the dust. And I think that sooner or later this will backfire on them as people get tired of upgrading perfectly good equipment just to be able to competitively fold. I've found that the BOINC project isn't as bad on equipment needs as F@H and even older systems can produce good return on their crunching time. That's a big reason I quit Stanford's project some years ago. And unlike all the buggy folding clients, BOINC has matured really well and is much better at "plug and play" for unattended machines. I've been gone from the house for going on 17 days now and checking my computers on the Rosetta site shows all 3 of the machines I left on Rosetta happily crunching away and turning in healthy RAC. :D

I think I'd agree - I've been on the fence about folding on my laptop for a while. It needs to be on 24/7 in order to return WUs, and I'm only getting about 2 units/week.Rosetta seems to be more suited to it. I'd never even dream of folding on this dual Xeon box - its not worth wasting the electricity - but seems to be doing well with Rosetta.

I'm not trying to slag off the FaH project - I just cant afford to keep up with it.

To me, Rosetta is more like old school folding. No "hi-performance" clients.
Plus, with the BOINC manager, you can do multiple different projects. Currently my cpu's are on Rosetta and I just re-loaded Seti for the gpu's.

Back