• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X79 LGA2011 with Xeon CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

i assumed the old LGA2011 socket for the X79 systems died long ago replaced by the newer versions. and assumed the 4930K was the best non-Extreme CPU available. i know Xeon CPUs were popular CPUs used for budegt upgrades in some systems, done the old LGA775toLGA771 mod on a couple of systems. but never thought Xeon CPUs in a X79 board till just now. anyone have more info on this? what are good CPUs to use or what issues are commonly found using them? while i dont necessarily NEED +12 cores, if the clock speed is fast enough would it really hurt? my CPU is already a 6 core w/ HT but i hear how HT is not very effective compared to dedicated cores.

I've got a whole bunch of PC's, yet one of my favorites was my old E5-2667 on my ASRock motherboard.
The E5-2667 and the E5-2689 are very capable CPU's.
I remember I was able to overclock it back in the day, BCLK oc I think? It was so far ago.

I always advise people to buy these X79 kits from AliExpress because they are pretty amazing, they're like 180$ for a E5-2689 + 32GB Ram 1600MHz + Random chinese X79 motherboard. The good thing about the chinese mobos is that they come with native M2 slots (at ultra speeds).

I am from Brazil and stuff is pretty expensive here, so people have to go for the cheaper stuff. But I wouldn't buy a X79 if I was from the US, since you can get 'cooler' stuff there.

I've had Intel X79, X99 and now I use X299 (I also own a whole bunch of PC's but they are at my company) Threadripper, Xeon and so on... I don't use them myself.
Given the choice today, I would go for a newer Threadripper or USED X299 FROM EBAY - yah I am that cheap, lol.
My use is heavily mixed, gaming+virtual machines (databases, programming, kernel programming, etc) - for that I went X299, and it was cheap too, since I bought most of the stuff used from EBAY.

So X79 is going to fill in X58's spot?!

Possibly true for me, as a spare project, especially if I can't get the RAM stable on my socket 1366 rig, which the only thing I changed, was the motherboard! I changed it to an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution. Same case, that Alienware case don't deserve to be scrapped!

The funny thing is, it looks like for RAM latency, my hefty Ryzen rigs will get killed by a socket 1366 rig! Heck, saw that even the ill-fated FX series can kill a Ryzen in RAM latency! (looks like anything before Vermeer or Renoir!)

Same with socket FM2+! (And of course, the seemingly-potato-for-2020-standards Kaveri, reportedly can normally have lower RAM latency (in ns) )

And I bought my Asus P6T6 WS Revolution from eBay, too, in summer, 2019 and it possibly has bad RAM slots or a broken trace! Windows 7 SP1 unexpectedly said "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" when updating a clean installation of Windows 7 SP1.
Even with the same RAM and latency configuration set to 9-9-9-24, the same as on the Asus P6T Deluxe! Looks like it got through with only the usual 3 sticks. I now can't even put in a 4th stick, unlike my other Asus socket 1366 motherboard!

For goodness sakes, I could run 14 GB of RAM fine with my Asus P6T Deluxe.

Last edited:
Back