• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What UV dye do you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Alright, I've been using Swiftech HydrX for a while. The cheapest I can find (after factoring in shipping costs) is here:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hyexduco.html

I was going to buy 2 of them for $8.75 shipped 1st class. I know I only need one, but I'll just stock the other to save on shipping for another yr or so down the line when I may need it again.

I haven't bought it yet because I'm wondering if I should change things up. Do any of you have other recommendations? I came across Fluid XP+ as well, here.

In my years of water cooling, I could NEVER get around the build up on my tubing. I've made threads about this before, but I still haven't found a solution. My tubing always gets foggy and I always end up replacing the tubing. I guess it's not a big deal as I bought like 25ft of tubing for less than $25 (I still can't remember where - someone here @ OCF pointed me to it and I wish I could find where it was) - the tubing was WELL WORTH the $$ (1/2"ID, 3/4" OD)

Anyway, I'd like to know your opinions on UV Dye and if you have comments on why I'm always foggy after several months.

What I've tried:
-cleaning with vinegar
-using anti-freeze
-using anti-algae drops
-using water wetter
-ALWAYS use distilled water
-all copper blocks, never anything else

Tubing:

Anyway, I'd like to know your opinions on UV Dye and if you have comments on why I'm always foggy after several months.
  1. Dye - My opinion: don't use it. If you want color, get colored tubing. Why? See #2.
  2. This is the reason your tubing is cloudy. It doesn't matter if you use distilled water or tap water (as far as coloration...tap water is horrible for many other reasons), if you use dye, there is always the potential that it will cloud your tubing. It's an unfortunate fact of water cooling life. The only sure way to avoid it is to use the coolant that we recommend day-in and day-out: Distilled + Biocide (either silver kill coil or PT Nuke PHN).
There are ways of making your rig nice and colorful without dye. Pick your poison, I chose Primchill PrimoFlex Pro LRT green. If you're concerned about color in your reservoir...light it up:

:santa:

Last edited:
I was afraid you guys were going to tell me not to use dye, as I read at many places about them breaking down around 6-8 months in from the heat.

Either I'll leave my system the way it is now without dye, or I'll just put the dye in and change my tubing twice a yr.

When your tubing gets cloudy, try and clean it up with pipe cleaners and hot soapy water. It may not come back a second time.

Well, I used the same hydrx formula for over a year and had absolutely NO issues. I just tore my loop apart and I had 0 algae growth and also 0 clumpage. I did just switch to colored tubing, but I would recommend the hydrx as well...

Well, I used the same hydrx formula for over a year and had absolutely NO issues. I just tore my loop apart and I had 0 algae growth and also 0 clumpage. I did just switch to colored tubing, but I would recommend the hydrx as well...

Your tubing wasn't stained?

Your tubing wasn't stained?

Not even the slightest bit. The only thing that did stain was a 1/2" -> 1/2" barb installed for when I planned on adding in my gpu. I just took a comparison pic so you can make up your own mind.

The tubing on the top ran with the hydrx/water combo for over a year.

The bottom tubing is left over brand new clear tubing.

dsc00754v.jpg

I can't tell the difference, can you guys?

No... still makes me wonder why my tubing is ALWAYS stained. :(
I don't use the same rad, blocks, or tubing as when I first started, and I always clean with vinegar when putting the WC setup back together. :(

Lol dirty water? Maybe it has something to do with which brand of tubing you're using. I used the stuff that came with my swiftech kit. Either way, just get colored tubing.

Lol dirty water? Maybe it has something to do with which brand of tubing you're using. I used the stuff that came with my swiftech kit. Either way, just get colored tubing.

I've tried clearflex, tygon, masterkleer... I've tried many different things... I guess my only true test is all brand new parts and using only distilled with an additive to prevent algae...

I'm telling you, the color+performance of this primoflex pro is outstanding. I looked at a comparison the other day and it won in the flexibility category. It bends so easily and doesn't lose it's shape until you make a bend that's completely impractical.

Didn't see it on your list, so you might wanna give it a try.

EDIT: I think you're just looking for an excuse to get all new hardware. Lol, if you have the $$$, go for it!

Last edited:
I'm telling you, the color+performance of this primoflex pro is outstanding. I looked at a comparison the other day and it won in the flexibility category. It bends so easily and doesn't lose it's shape until you make a bend that's completely impractical.

Didn't see it on your list, so you might wanna give it a try.

EDIT: I think you're just looking for an excuse to get all new hardware. Lol, if you have the $$$, go for it!
I already got a bunch of new stuff. I changed the motor on my MCP350 pump to a newer one that I was able to mod with a switch to go from default 10w to 18w. :) Basically, I'm running it as a 355 now.

Then I got a new AM3 motherboard with enough SATA for my needs, my Phenom II 945 isn't even 2 months old, and I finally put my HD4890 back into my computer, only this time with an MCW-4870 that man keeps it really cool!! 30C idle.

I also dusted out my rad, and got a brand new waterblock for my 945... the Enzotech Sapphire. So far the new cooling setup and addition of the GPU into the loop dropped my CPU idle and load temps by about 8C. I'm running 3.82ghz now but that was my first boot up, and it passed OCCT and Linpack auto runs... I still haven't even pushed! :)

I actually made a ridiculous bend unintentionally with my new loop and Primoflex Pro LRT took it just fine. In the pic I posted above, look at the bend from my GPU to the res intake. That bend is nuts. It's ever so slightly oblong, but definitely not kinked and flowing just fine.

EDIT - Here's a better pic so you can see the bend:

hokie,
Beautiful setup, bro!! :)

I was going to have a tight bend myself when I put my system back together, but I made the tube longer so it wouldn't be a tight bend... I'm regretting it as it would have looked nicer if I didn't do that.

Thank you very much! I really need to replace that orange fan now that my orange tubing is gone. Unfortunately that means removing my rad to do so...might be a few days.

Anyway...on topic, it's more expensive, but you won't be disappointed if you buy new tubing and go with the Primochill Pro LRT. To give you a better idea how tight that bend is, the tubing actually touches the video card power cords.

I actually made a ridiculous bend unintentionally with my new loop and Primoflex Pro LRT took it just fine. In the pic I posted above, look at the bend from my GPU to the res intake. That bend is nuts. It's ever so slightly oblong, but definitely not kinked and flowing just fine.

EDIT - Here's a better pic so you can see the bend:

So that's what the green tubing would have looked like. I was deciding between the blue and the green. Looks great hokie:thup:

Thanks! It actually looks a lot better than the photo. UV light makes it slightly opaque and the flash apparently puts off a good bit of UV light. Just looking at it, the tubing is a gorgeous clear green. Deep coloring and translucent.

UV itself will cloud some tubing, though in the computer world it'd probably have to be quite a few UV LEDs to do it. Vinyl is especially prone to it.

Back