• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of a special USB C cable do these new Portable NVMe SSD drives use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EarthDog, what does all this mean, what do you actually see when you copy/paste a file on the following drive, I mean they're saying five to seven GB/s for this drive:
https://www.storagereview.com/review/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-ssd-review

So what, you copy/paste a DVD size file and the copy/paste operation is done in under one second? Really, under one second for a 4.3 GB file? So fraction of a second?

Or you copy paste a blu-ray file that's say 30GB and that's done in five seconds. Really?!

I've already answered that question...lol, I dont know.

We know what the theoretical limits are (listed above), and we know drives vary wildly in how fast they transfer depending on file size(s), cache size/speed, etc. I'm not going to guess for ****s and giggles, but It will be less than 5000 MB/s (40 Gbps) since that's, currently, the fastest interface we have on the USB/TB front. Maybe an AIC from a pcie 4.0 x4 (64 Gbps) would remove the glass ceiling? But not sure about (usb) cables supporting those speeds. No clue...

You'll just have to keep your pants on until they're available and tested. :)

It's unsettling how many so-called reviews are being posted without clearly telling people actual real life data. I mean numbers on boxes have not meant anything for years.

Here's an important question.
Before this Samsung drive came out, word was out about this problem, and here it is manifesting itself in real life where the write speeds are a fraction of what they initially are, so people think something is wrong with their drive, like so: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1262379-samsung-980-pro-1tb-slow-write-speeds/

Question is: Are other drives like that Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus completely free from this technological Samsung BS, where the Samsung write drive speed ends up being only a fraction of advertised due to the way it was made...

Okay, now that we've established that, there seems to be a 3 foot maximum for these cables.

3 feet is the bare minimum to have easier connection access. So what's considered a good deal on a 3 foot 10GB/s cable?

The original cable is 1 foot, and even 2 feet is too short, the *entire* point here is to have quick permanent access...

$5.99 for 3 feet, will this do:
https://www.amazon.com/OrxnQ-Delivery-Braided-Marker-MacBook/dp/B07SS8NJ9H

P.S. They are selling not so expensive cables longer than 3 feet claiming they can do 10 GB/s, what do you think happens when you actually test them, since they are out of specs?

So that cable resulted in something being very wrong with my portable SSD disconnecting / and needing to be disk-checked frequently. Original cable fixed all that but it is too short of course. Meaning, you may lose data if you use some of these cheap-o cables.

I am now trying this one:

I thought you said there was a 3-foot maximum for these cables. In fact, you even quoted yourself stating that. This one is 4 feet. Would that not be an issue too?

I think where all this gets confusing is that there is no one standard. Just because there's a newer specification doesn't mean that nobody is allowed to use or sell the older specification. USB-C is the physical connector, while the protocol USB 3, 3.x, lightning, HDMI, rapid charging, 60W, etc all has various specifications and both the hardware and the cable have to match up to those specs to get that performance. But all the cables look the same. We call them USB-C cables, but they are truly a USB 3.1 or lightning cable, or 60W charging cable with a USB-C connector. But there is no easy way to differentiate them.

Very frustrating.

Back