• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltmodding laptop processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good evening. I've just taken off my heatsink on my p4 based laptop and replaced the white stuff with AS3 and it's made a huge difference!!! Runs cooler and runs the fans alot less which has helped to improve battery life. I am now looking for another way to increase batery life and got to thinking about volt modding the P4 in it using a pinmod. It's a desktop processor not the mobile so it should be the same procedure as a regular desktop P4. My question is does any one know if the laptop mobo will have a fit if the processor voltage is lower than normal? Also how tolerant are the P4s to undervolting? Appreciate any feedback from you. :)

I'm not sure if you really can. I know how to do this for the athlon, but I've never seen a pin mod for pentiums.

I've heard of people getting some 2.4c's to run at a mere 1v, but this requires quite a bit of luck. Would definately help the battery life if it worked though.

I don't think Intel has a pinmod for lower voltages, at least not yet. Maybe when we start getting the VRM pinout specifications for the 1.2v socket-478 Prescotts then we can carry that knowledge over. The only other problem is, would your BIOS in the laptop actually understand such a voltage mod?

That bios had no use for variable voltages, and the creators likely knew it was going into a laptop and as-such wouldn't need to support different voltage processors. It's likely that, even if a mod did exist, it still wouldn't work.

Mine is 1.55v. I could have sworn that a volt mod existed for these things, oh well. Is there by chance a pin mod to slow the chip by either multiplier or bus??

I'm wondering about this too. My HP laptop has a 2.3Ghz 512kB P4 CPU that runs at 1.3V. I can't find any useful info on it though. CPU-Z crashes, and both Sandra and an older version of WCPUID report the CPU as a Northwood 2.3Ghz running at 1600Mhz?! Must be the speed-step thingy I guess. The things I wanna find out is if this is a socketed CPU (so I can improve the cooling) and how I can make sure it's ALWAYS running at 2.3Ghz...

Back