• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Contacts on 1ghz Storm chicken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randy R.

Registered
4 yrs. of Intel and I've finally decided to try a1ghz T-Bird on a Abit board, KT7 raid. I have read the how-to's of unlocking the multipliers, and it seems easy enough, but does the same rule apply for the voltage contacts?

Thanks,
Rando

Thanks Bobby, I look forward to diddling with something new. I'm running water & pelt with my current setup, slot 1 PIII 650@950, but I don't think I'll use water with the AMD, only the pelt, just have to decide which sink/fan is going to perform the best with the pelt.

Thanks again
Randy

Randy R. (Dec 18, 2000 03:56 p.m.):
Thanks Bobby, I look forward to diddling with something new. I'm running water & pelt with my current setup, slot 1 PIII 650@950, but I don't think I'll use water with the AMD, only the pelt, just have to decide which sink/fan is going to perform the best with the pelt.

Thanks again
Randy

I've heard that you won't see any real benefits of peltier cooling AMD socket A chips unless you use a powerful pelt like 100W+ - they're simply too hot normally. And with a pelt like that you'd have to watercool (the PEP66 may be a great hsf but it just can't handle that sort of power :p ). I think Proze wrote a little post called "peltier/water cooling a ghz duron - results" in the old forum's cooling, heatsinks and peltiers section. You could try looking for it there, he said some useful stuff.

Just found that article - hope Proze doesn't mind my posting it here :)

Date: December 09, 2000 02:44 PM
Author: Proze ([email protected] (Senior Member))

hey peeps, esp. azz, jeff and ericsson, who've been interested in my project to use a water/peltier combo to cool my duron. well, the project's been completed, so i
thought i should let y'all know what i found.

what i had: a 600mhz duron running at 1102mhz (105*10.5), cooled by a 100% homemade water system. i live in south africa, so my ambient temps are HIGH, and
hsfs have never seemed to work for me. my temps hovered between 35C and 47C, depending on processor usage and ambient temp.

what i wanted: a cooler proc, and some extra mhz for my trouble.

proposed mods: water/peltier cooling for the proc, coolers on the northbridge and pll chip. i thought better of the voltage mod once i saw the size (or lack of it!) of
where i was meant to solder. maybe one day...

what i used: tidal pool waterblock, pump and radiator from my old system, 50x50mm 118W leufken peltier, 230W (12A@12V) seventeam at psu, 5mm thick
50x50mm copper coldplate, arctic silver, two socket 7 coolers, bolts, epoxy, etc.

what i did (not in-depth): mounted the peltier/water cooling on the proc, and sealed the whole setup with silicon and closed-cell foam, as per switftech's advice on
socket sealing. mounted a socket 7 chip on the northbridge. mounted another on the pll chip, using a copper spacer to clear a tall cap near the chip (this IS NOT easy
to do).

my results: cool proc? yes. more mhz? a few. resounding success? nope. i can now run at a 110mhz fsb, from a previous max of 105mhz. also, my max stable speed is
now 109*10.5=1145mhz, up from 1102mhz. this could be due to the pll and n.bridge cooling, as well, though. the big difference is in my temps. unlike ericsson, i got
(and am getting) much better temps with the peltier. i'm running at 10C as i type, with winamp running and the internet connected. i idle at between 3C and 5C, and the
temps get up to 27C after gaming for an hour or two. this big difference is due largely to the fact that the watercooling is taking strain under the heat from the peltier and
processor.

ending off: would i do it again? no, probably not. the peltier is a big mission. it chucks out A LOT OF HEAT, and it's hard to keep it cool. you'll need two good
radiators to cope properly. and insulating it is a task that shouldn't be underestimated. i'm not pissed, though. i have great temps for a 1.1ghz chip, and it was fun. if
you're looking for my advice, go with plain watercooling for these amd chips. i didn't gain many mhz for my effort. maybe the voltage mod would benefit me and more
cooler temps more. i might do it sometime when i have more energy. do however, do the pll and northbridge mods. they're pretty easy and worth the effort. feel your
pll chip and you'll see why.

any more questions, feel free to ask.

cheers, proze:) - senior member

**AMD Duron 600@[email protected] on ASUS A7V rev1.02, Creative GeForce DDR @ 145/350, SBLive! Value, 10.2GB Western Digital **my latest with a duron
and geforce ddr, 6244: http://www.madonion.com/compare.shtml?848407

Thanks for the information Rob, I appreciate your time, and it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth, being my current water setup is slot 1 I would have to make a new waterblock etc. Looks like I'll just pick up a hedgehog and try to bump it up a few more rpm's.

Randy

Back