• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED TEACH AN IDIOT MINING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Hi, I have now decided to try this mining stuff.
I have overclocked a little and know a little about the bios but old school am2+ is new to me.
I truly don't understand A bit of mining, but I have some junk around that will do it so why not.
The stuff, DFI lanparty, dark, DK 790FXB-M2RSH, AMD 9650 quad core processor, some ram, 450 watt power supply and 2 gigabyte 5450 video cards.
I do have an IDE hard drive if needed and a cd burner if needed.
I have already broken one of ZL1's rules, I spent the big 5 dollars on a usb stick, as I plan on using bamt to start to learn this.
so to start, hard drive or no hard drive, cd burner or not?

this was a great thing for me as I learned a bunch of new stuff and I want to thak the guys for all the help. the mear fact that the hardware refused to mine is secondary to me learning some stuff, great info for the new people to look through, awsome info linked also.

I got it mining by getting rid of the 5450 cards and putting in an hd7770 card, I made no other changes!!!!!!!

I will find an IDE drive in my junk pile and we will reboot.

Last edited:
eaglescouter, then no drives at all.
I will have to get a "wallet", does bamt have one in it?
if not, where will I need to store it?

BAMT does not include a wallet.
Run your wallet software on another machine. I use litecoin-qt for litecoins.

But what scrypt coin are you planning to mine? You need a wallet that supports that coin.

Or join a pool?
Or join a pool that mines scrypt and auto exchanges into BTC daily, and pays you in BTC. Then you need a BTC wallet instead.

You can get wallets from the coin's website, you need a separate wallet for each coin. (Bitcoin wallet will not work with Litecoins etc.)

As for your hardware, were you planning on using the 5450's?

You can also use an exchange address for your payouts if you don't plan on holding onto coin. Remember if you use a local wallet to keep it backed up, you lose your wallet you lose your coins, unless this has changed recently?

Yes I have a little time overclocking, but I am really lost on this mining stuff and I am sure that I am not the only one.

ok the thing is togather, I will have a cd drive as I don't have the old blanking plate for this very old case.
going to find bamt now.

hold on, I think my best bet is a pool and litecoin, any other ideas?

If you want stupid proof... go with the ones above. I wanted to try this but only with a 'set it and forget it' mentality. I switched between those pools once, but... otherwise, let a pool do it, and keep an eye out for the best pools.

790fxb-m2rsh is described as junk? I am dissapoint.

That is a monster board for AMD fsb overclocks.... Get a sempron and have a ball or I will trade you for some other amd board that I would prefer to call junk.

I don't know how well a 5450 will mine. I have one sitting here that I had not even contemplated running. I can't imagine that the electricity cost to run that 9650 cpu will be less that what you earn mining with those cards. If it is all just for fun and experience then it would be ok, but for profit -there won't be much if any.

Edit: after looking at https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison.
21kh each :(
I don't think it will be worth your time, unless it is only a learning experience. <--If this is the case, i suspect that that number is low and should be able to push further.

Sorry.

Edit2: Oh, and if this is for fun or learning experience, see my second sentence for something more fun.

Last edited:
Difficulty on Litecoin makes mining hard and less profitable...

You can try wafflepool.com, hashco.ws these pay you in Bitcoin, so you only need a Bitcoin wallet...

this

setup bitcoin wallet on your main machine, use a light client such as electum or multi-bit (they do not have to download the entire blockchain like the basic qt, helps)

then setup bamt, cake-easy thing to do; get bamt image, burn to usb, run it, access and edit cgminer config file located in folder bamt; add your pool info and username

if you pick waffle, you wont need a username or setup of any kind at waffle, if you pick hashco, you will need a username and a worker for your machine, tell me which you pick and i can walk you step by step if you need

ok, so I will need two machines for this that I can leave togather, so let me go put togather a win xp machine and I will be back when i find the stuff in my junk pile and get one running.

this is for training and learning, no profit involved right now.

the lanparty I got in a trade the other day so I thought I would just use it.
I know it's not "junk" it just came from the pile.

cryptoslax is like bamt. i have been messing with it for the last few days. i am a linux noob, so some things are difficult, but I did get it working.

well no .. you can run the lil wallet on your primary box too ;) the wallet is just your access key to your "money" its not a requirement for mining per se

alternatively run win7 on the miner and thats that

I don't know how well a 5450 will mine. I have one sitting here that I had not even contemplated running. I can't imagine that the electricity cost to run that 9650 cpu will be less that what you earn mining with those cards. If it is all just for fun and experience then it would be ok, but for profit -there won't be much if any.

Edit: after looking at https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison.
21kh each :(
I don't think it will be worth your time, unless it is only a learning experience. <--If this is the case, i suspect that that number is low and should be able to push further.

Sorry.

Edit2: Oh, and if this is for fun or learning experience, see my second sentence for something more fun.

caddi daddi, your best best is to use that 7850 you have, unless you are going to buy a new GPU to mine on.

Unfortunatly, those 5450's might barely break even on the power they use. :(

OOOOOOKKKKK, got me a little sempron-3200, win xp rig going, I'm on it now.
I'm just learning silver so we will go with this for now.

going to a win 7 rig will require the purchase of an operating system, $ 100.00 added to the $ 5.00 I allready had to spend and that will add 10 years to the pay back time.

now, to go find bamt and burn it to the flash drive.

bamter.org is dead, what should I do?

Back