• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surprising Results - 14900K Delidding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Big difference with that CPU. With how these run, that could make for some worthwhile performance increases or lower noise.

I saw some comments that 14900K runs slightly cooler than 14700K. It's hard to say if it's a matter of some samples or a general rule. I assume it's still a matter of IHS mount, as the difference between cores can be huge (the same as in previous generations).
A 2-3°C difference is often visible after a cooler remount. It's also close to an error margin when you run 250W+ CPU. Another thing is that the contact frame is a product marked with his brand ... just saying ;)

As long as I find this generation pretty much pointless, then my 14700K has a better memory controller. It's nothing really special, but it boots at 8800, and the 13700K had problems to boot at 8533. I can't confirm any stability as I had no time for that, but G.Skill announced 8600 kits, so they should run at least at XMP on my new CPU ;)

He did say at one point he was surprised because he thought the contact frame would give better results?

On the topic of differences in models from the same generation and from different generations ⇾ Intel's Lack of Progress on LGA1700, Clock-for-Clock (IPC) Testing

Do I want to waste time to see what the claim is? Just from the title I'm going to guess he's stating something that's expected but framing it as a problem of some sort?

I see it as a slightly better max frequency, slightly better IMC, and some improvements in the newer models (like 14700K has more cores now), so it's what I would expect from a "refresh". No one said it's a totally new CPU, so I'm not sure what people want. The new CPU will be probably in the next year.

Youtubers post random stuff only to bump clicks and views. It feels like most of YT content is for teenagers. It's getting annoying, as finding proper info seems too hard nowadays. Like most "reviewers" post unpacking videos and still get a lot of views. Who cares about unpacking?
Almost everything I've seen about the 14th Intel gen is like a flood of reposts.

I don't get why people care so much about the max CPU performance. Every respected reviewer says that CPUs don't matter much unless you play games at low display resolution or use them for something more professional. Still, people repeat the same disappointments about every new CPU gen (or refresh).

I've been a fan of delidding for a while and I haven't shied away from risking my top line gaming CPUs to do it.

But still, wake me up when I can get 6GHz all-core. Until then, my battleship doesn't need a reactor replacement.

I’d like to see a delid video using MX-6 instead of Thermal Grizzly’s conductornaut. I just don’t trust it over a long period of time.

I’d like to see a delid video using MX-6 instead of Thermal Grizzly’s conductornaut. I just don’t trust it over a long period of time.

It only has a point if the CPU runs without IHS. I'm using more standard TIMs with delidded CPUs as I dislike liquid metal in general. It's mainly because it leaves stains on coolers and is hard to clean. My plans almost always change and I barely ever keep any CPU on the same motherboard or with the same cooler for longer.
If you delid and want to put the IHS back, then use liquid metal from any well-known brand (as it's about the same stuff).

Back