• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

someone help me find info on lappy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

im tryin to find out if my cpu can be upgraded in my compaq Evo N115 laptop, it currently has a 1.2 ghz duron, 128 megs of ram, dunno if its 100 or 133, 20 gig hard drive, 13 inch lcd, cd rom.

does anyone know of any direct resources for info? i googled a bit with no luck. i would also like to replace the cd rom drive but dunno if it has to be a specific drive or what. and does anyone know of any hard drives that have a low power consumption? i took out the modem card thing in an attempt to slightly drop the power sonsumption, i tihnk my battery is prolly shot. would i be able to remove the floppy drive to save a little? how would it react, anyone know?

and would anyone know what to use to overclock the S3 video? i dont thik ill be able to mess with ram clocks as it seems to be shared wit hsystem :-( but maybe a little more core could help in halflife.

BTW this is my first real laptop.. only other was a compaq 386 with 8 megs ram and a 200 meg hard drive that weighed almost as my full size antec full of stuff

Edits: Putting all of my follow ups in here to save space

followup 1:its been charging for a fll night, and im aout to unplug it and see how long it lasts.. i know it goes down like 5 times as fast as it charges, but ive only taken it to about 70%

for my own note i unplugged it at 3:05

followup 2:

as of 4:08 it said 1 % and o minutes left till 4:35, when it wnet to 0 and started beeping (jsut as i opened counterstrike) its currently 4:38 and its still goin , gonna take it till it crashes then post yet again

followup 3:time of death was 5:03. just after i insalled MBM, went to openm it and it went. it dont wanna power back on rightaway, ill see what it does if i let it sit a few mins. so almost 2 hours of usable battery life, with an hour of that being at or below 1% according to it, and was loaded with counterstrike most of that last hour.

followup 4: argh. when it died it took out a few system files with it. repairing the installation right now, and hopefully i wont have to format completely. when i took out the battery it was quite toasty warm, and when i pushed the buton on it it lit up the 25.

Last edited:
It's pretty difficult to provide you exact answers but according to my knowledge I think your bus speed is 100MHz. For the hdd power consumption you'll have to depend on the power saving features software provided by compaq. removing fdd will be ok but not a much use. Mostly try to use the battery in full cycle method to save it's lifetime. How long your battery holding after a full charge?

Most of the times you'll be able to change the cd-rom drive cause most (90%) having the same architecture. for a cdr-m maCHINE YOU'LL BE NOT ABLE TO REPLACE A DVD-ROM AND EXPECT TO USE THE DVD'S.

Had a nice chat with this guy, and found him the home page for his model at Compaq's site.

It takes PC133, and that jump in CPU speed is nothing more than AMD's Powernow! working like it's supposed to... :)

B.

Back