• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project R Unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great work Navig!

+1 re: MDF - it looks like just really (really) thick metal. Very well done on that paint job.

Yes, and the feel of it is almost mysterious. Like hard molded plastic.

Installed these pass thru windows.

Finalassemblybottomwindows.jpg

Installed some feet:

FAfeet.jpg

FAfeet2.jpg

Man I love custom fabrication. I do alot of my own building(furnature, speakers, cooling parts, props, ect) and all I have to say is good job. Beyond just the quality of the workmanship and the fact that you improvised bending techniques, you designed this yourself and that is a completely different level of skills. I would recommend that if you do end up making more of these, the front forms should be done using 1" strips of osb across every 2" recessed 1/8" with a sheet of 3 ply 3mm glued down and shot in with brads. C clamps with 1x2 strips for compression. Dennis was also correct in recomending that you anneal the plastic. The best way is to place the entire form into an oven just at the temperature that the plastic softens at to relive strain and eliminate fracture points in the material. Once there you want to let it cool as slow as possible. Reducing the oven to half temperature for about 10 mins then just let it sit in the oven until it almost reaches close to room temperature.

Again though props up to you. Designed and built a very interesting case/piece of art.

Next step in the final assembly:

After assembling this switch unit which holds the buttons for power, reset, lighting, and front USB/firewire/audio, I installed it into the main frame.

FAswitchcompartment.jpg

Then I put in the lower bracket to hold the 5.25 drive units:

FADVDdrivebracket.jpg

Put the fascia plastic on and the front is starting to look like something!

FAfrontplastic.jpg

Next I tackled a pretty difficult task. You may remember my hard drive rack idea last seen in mock-up here:

Harddriveracklabeled.jpg

Never actually been tested with real hard drives! But I put my faith in traditional woodworking techniques (dowel pins and glue).

FAdrivegluejig.jpg

In order to keep the mounting bars aligned (so they don't look like crooked teeth) and clamped until the glue sets, I put together a jig. Then it was glue and clamp.

And the result, wicked!

FAdrivesglued.jpg

And holds drives great:

FAdrivesmounted.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

I do think there was just way too much custom work for me to ever start reproducing this as a custom case.

I would definitely pursue better techniques for bending plastic, as I was not 100% satisfied with my current outcome. It might even be worth it to have the mold CnC'd. But sticking to DIY, I think my next attempt would involve fiberglass.

I definitely learned a lot from this project, and have plenty of ideas for my next build.

Next I assembled all the backside brackets and components:

FAbackbrackets.jpg

I also installed the lovely black and yellow PCI bracket, and now most of structure of the mod is reassembled:

FABackassembled.jpg

So next I moved on to lighting:

Unfortunately, the first thing that happened was a loud pop, and my CCFL inverter burst a cap:

FAccflinverter.jpg

I rummaged around and found another, then mounted up my 3 light bars and ran their lines.

Lights off:

FAfrontlightsoff.jpg

Lights on:

FAfrontlightson.jpg

Lights off:

FAbacklightsoff.jpg

Lights on:

FAbacklightson.jpg

Here are some pics showing the underside of the case, where all the wiring for all these lights reside:

FAundersidecablemess.jpg

On the left are all the connections for the fan controller (5 fans), and on the right is the distributor for all my lights, switched and unswitched. Plus I've got my on/reset switches, power/HDD activity LEDs, and my USB/firewire/audio cables in this box.

Its a bit messy, so I threw together a cover box:

FAundersidecablemess2.jpg

Then installed the DVD burner:

FAundersidecablemess3.jpg

And the lid, and that's the last you'll see of that!

FAundersidecablemess4.jpg

I like the attention to detail, how did you make those acrylic box covers?

The one on the right I made way back when I put together that light controller. It's just a flat piece of plastic the screws on top of the power distributer:

Powerstation3.jpg

Powerstation4.jpg

The one on the left is a little more fancy, here's a pic:

FAundersidecablecover.jpg

It's still just 2 pieces of plastic (one rectangular, one with a slot cut out) glued on end together, with a pair of feet made from angle aluminum.

Gluing plastic is a useful skill. This example is a butt joint. After prepping the appropriate edge (smooth, without ridges, but not polished) I simply used some 90 degree clamps to hold the two pieces together at the butt joint. Then I use liquid IPS#3 in a needle bottle and carefully drip some glue along the seam. Capillary action takes over, sucking it into the joint. Simply let dry.

Sorry on the slow updates again. I’m on a vacation roadtrip but I did upload some pics before I left.

FAfancablemess.jpg

Time to work on all the messy fan cables.

Going with clean and simple.

FAfancable1.jpg

Trim my fans and extend the wire lengths.

Add back the pins and black housings

FAfancable2.jpg

Sleeve it straight black weave:

FAfancable3.jpg

And here you go:

FAfancable4.jpg

Multiply by 5.

Neweggfairy.jpg

Hardware list:

i7 26K
Asus Sabertooth P67
Corsair Vengeance 4x2gb DDR3-1600
OCZ Vertex 3 240gb
WD Caviar Black 2TB
HIS 6950 2gb
Light-on Blue Ray reader/DVD burner
Corsair AX 750W
Thermalright Venemous X

However, this is going to change. For aesthetic reasons I show later, I decided I needed a downfiring heatsink, so I’m going with the Thermalright AXP 140RT.

Neweggfairy.jpg

Hardware list:

i7 26K
Asus Sabertooth P67
Corsair Vengeance 4x2gb DDR3-1600
OCZ Vertex 3 240gb
WD Caviar Black 2TB
HIS 6950 2gb
Light-on Blue Ray reader/DVD burner
Corsair AX 750W
Thermalright Venemous X

However, this is going to change. For aesthetic reasons I show later, I decided I needed a downfiring heatsink, so I’m going with the Thermalright AXP 140RT.

Stop teasing us with your nice hardware ;) show us the money shots!

Sorry for the teasers! There are several barriers to my completing this project.

1) I am currently in Portland, OR and will be slowly working my way down the coast back to my Norcal home.

2) I wanted to finish this project before I left, but I discovered several things.

3) This case is hella difficult to photograph well. Blank white paint, glossy reflections, curved plastic.

4) I found my Venemous X heatsink was so large it blocked all the internal lighting I so meticulously set up. So I've ordered a Thermalright downblowing heatsink.

But fear not, if you look at my past projects, I always finish with a set of money shots, a complete thread unto itself. It will come! After I get back maybe Saturday I've got several days devoted completely to finishing this project.

Tip you probably already know - photograph it outside during the day. Plenty of light for great photos and no awkward reflections. :thup:

Definitely will try that....except it was raining the week before I left!

Update:

So put rough fit my motherboard and video card just to make sure things were aligned.

FA6950colorproblem.jpg

And I realized that the video card was just going to throw off my whole color scheme with that bright red striping.

Can’t have that.

Let’s take it apart:

FA6950reduced.jpg

Fit some 3/8” aluminum bar.

FA6950bars.jpg

Paint the bars, a corner cover, and the pci bracket.

FA6950barspainted.jpg

Reassemble and that’s more like it!

FA6950done.jpg

And that my friends is all I got until I get back to my shop.

Thanks!

Also, good thing is I don't think I've actually violated the warranty on this card--nothing is irreversibly modded.

Back