• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help building my new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As mentiomed previously, look at cpu reviews. There's, us, techpowerup, anandtech...all solid. To be quite honest though, you're living in the minutia a bit. Can you please give us a max budget for those three components? We'll get you the best out there for your money. We could have had that hardware list days ago. :)

I don't have a definite budget but I don't want to spend irrationally. I guess what I end up buying may be anything from entry level to mid level among the latest 1-2 generation of CPUs. I want the best performance to price ratio but prices differ in my country compared to what websites list in USD. Also some CPUs aren't available in my country at the moment, for example Ryzen 3300x, and Ryzen 3100 is ridiculously priced right now.

The website I'm checking for prices is this, I filtered for CPUs released in 2019 and later, though some CPUs are wrongly listed in those years:
https://www.epey.com/islemci/e/YTox...czo2OiI0NTYxNTAiO319X3M6OToiZml5YXQ6QVNDIjs=/

I don't have a definite budget but I don't want to spend irrationally. I guess what I end up buying may be anything from entry level to mid level among the latest 1-2 generation of CPUs. I want the best performance to price ratio but prices differ in my country compared to what websites list in USD. Also some CPUs aren't available in my country at the moment, for example Ryzen 3300x, and Ryzen 3100 is ridiculously priced right now.

Well, come on now... tell us what country you're in and what website you're using. We're happy to look there too. We won't spend your money irrationally, lol. If you want a negligible upgrade to already ancient systems, that's fine... but that feels a lot more irrational than buying the best you want to afford.... especially if you keep your PC's for a decade +.

So.... if you aren't going to list a budget, I'll leave you with this...............and wish you good luck. :)

AMD Ryzen 3600X or 5600X
B550 based motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL14

or

Intel 11400 to 11600K (or 10500, 10600K)
Z590 based board
2x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14/16.

That said, if you don't have any SSDs (why listing your complete system specs is important), I would get one of those for your OS as well. Way WAY faster than spinners...

EDIT: Thanks for the link to your website... that's ONE STEP closer to helping you better......:thup:

EDIT2: Those CPUs I suggested, I believe all of them, are on your website.

Well, come on now... tell us what country you're in and what website you're using. We're happy to look there too. We won't spend your money irrationally, lol. If you want a negligible upgrade to already ancient systems, that's fine... but that feels a lot more irrational than buying the best you want to afford.... especially if you keep your PC's for a decade +.

So.... if you aren't going to list a budget, I'll leave you with this...............and wish you good luck. :)

AMD Ryzen 3600X or 5600X
B550 based motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL14

or

Intel 11400 to 11600K (or 10600K)
Z590 based board
2x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14/16.

That said, if you don't have any SSDs (why listing your complete system specs is important), I would get one of those for your OS as well. Way WAY faster than spinners...

EDIT: Thanks for the link to your website... that's ONE STEP closer to helping you better......:thup:

I edited my message, I'm from Turkey, the website I'm checking for prices is this, I filtered for CPUs released in 2019 and later, though some CPUs are wrongly listed in those years:
https://www.epey.com/islemci/e/YToxO...5YXQ6QVNDIjs=/

I may also choose an entry level CPU if I may be able to upgrade to a much greater CPU that also has a good price/performance ratio later on the same motherboard.

creativus said:
I edited my message, I'm from Turkey, the website I'm checking for prices is this, I filtered for CPUs released in 2019 and later, though some CPUs are wrongly listed in those years:
https://www.epey.com/islemci/e/YToxO...5YXQ6QVNDIjs=/
I know. You quoted me saying as much. See both of my edits.

I may also choose an entry level CPU if I may be able to upgrade to a much greater CPU that also has a good price/performance ratio later on the same motherboard.
This chips I listed are entry-level....

Good luck! :)

One more question, how would you compare AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and Intel Pentium Gold G6400 ? I guess Ryzen would be better, especially considering it can be overclocked but G6400 is newer and has an iGPU and priced the same in my country, and I can't find a good comparison between them.

You may argue they are not good enough or offer the best performance/price ratio but remember that I will start using them with a GTX 750 Ti and later I may get a better GPU and/or CPU on the same motherboard.

One more question, how would you compare AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and Intel Pentium Gold G6400 ?
Well, the first thing I see is that the Ryzen should best that G6400 in multi-threaded anything. The intel is 2c/4t while the 1200 is 4c/4t. You do not want to go less than a 4c/8t part today (bare minimum IMO - I think this was mentioned already too). Ideally, you want 6c/12t as you have the budget for the upgrade. Why you want to cheap out now (cut off the nose to spite the face) and pay more later, I have no idea (you reason about the GPU isn't a good one).

Again, you want to stay away from Ryzen 1000 series. Ryzen 3000 series or greater would be best. 2000 series is worse than 3000 and especially 5000 series, but notably better than 1000 series.

but remember that I will start using them with a GTX 750 Ti and later I may get a better GPU and/or CPU on the same motherboard.
...and we've told you that isn't terribly relevant (you're reasoning for getting a low-end CPU because you have a slow video card) and not very forward-looking.

Well, the first thing I see is that the Ryzen should best that G6400 in multi-threaded anything. The intel is 2c/4t while the 1200 is 4c/4t. You do not want to go less than a 4c/8t part today (bare minimum IMO - I think this was mentioned already too). Ideally, you want 6c/12t as you have the budget for the upgrade. Why you want to cheap out now (cut off the nose to spite the face) and pay more later, I have no idea (you reason about the GPU isn't a good one).

Again, you want to stay away from Ryzen 1000 series. Ryzen 3000 series or greater would be best. 2000 series is worse than 3000 and especially 5000 series, but notably better than 1000 series.

...and we've told you that isn't terribly relevant (you're reasoning for getting a low-end CPU because you have a slow video card) and not very forward-looking.

I may as well sell my used CPU/APU and GPU in the future or use it in another computer, the performance won't differ much between a Ryzen 3 1200 and the best CPU in the market with the GTX 750 Ti, if I go with a CPU/APU like those I can upgrade my GPU and then my CPU at prices much lower than current prices later...

All of that said, I guess right now the upgrading options with Intel seem better:

I highly doubt CPU prices are going to change that much. If you take the time to do the math, buying two CPUs doesn't tend to be cheaper than buying one better one now. The only reason you do that is if you can't afford a more significant upgrade...you can (but refuse based on your questionable knowledge). You'll spend more money in the long run and in the short term don't have as good of an upgrade that you can....that makes no sense to anyone helping you so far.

You'll be waiting for a GPU for a while. Again, get the best CPU you can afford. It will benefit you now even with the 750Ti. You'll see improvements over your current system with a Ryzen 1200 or Intel CPU, but you'll get even more going with a modern CPU (8000 series+ and Ryzen 3000+, at least 4c/8t, preferably 6c/12t). Then when you buy a GPU, you won't have to buy another CPU.

Locked Intel CPUs are quite a deal, indeed. If you aren't overclocking, that is the way to go.

This feel applicable:

horse.jpg

I highly doubt CPU prices are going to change that much. If you take the time to do the math, buying two CPUs doesn't tend to be cheaper than buying one better one now. The only reason you do that is if you can't afford a more significant upgrade...you can (but refuse based on your questionable knowledge). You'll spend more money in the long run and in the short term don't have as good of an upgrade that you can....that makes no sense to anyone helping you so far.

You'll be waiting for a GPU for a while. Again, get the best CPU you can afford. It will benefit you now even with the 750Ti. You'll see improvements over your current system with a Ryzen 1200 or Intel CPU, but you'll get even more going with a modern CPU (8000 series+ and Ryzen 3000+, at least 4c/8t, preferably 6c/12t). Then when you buy a GPU, you won't have to buy another CPU.

Locked Intel CPUs are quite a deal, indeed. If you aren't overclocking, that is the way to go.

This feel applicable:

View attachment 213750

This may be a rather extreme example but the i5-4590 I was intertested in was selling for 400 TL, which is $47.71 and its MSRP was $192, which is 1,609.60 TL, that's about the quarter of the initial price...

I mean, yeah, if your CPU upgrade is going to be 7+ years down the road from laumch... but then you'll be doing the same exact thing upgrading to an ancient CPU then. What's worse is, presumably, you'll have a better video card by then (likely a lot earlier - you only play RL and don't want to/won't play anything else??) and that CPU will hold back your better video card.

Get whatever homie, almost anything will be an upgrade. I'm done spinning my wheel here though. :thup:

I mean, yeah, if your CPU upgrade is going to be 7+ years down the road from laumch... but then you'll be doing the same exact thing upgrading to an ancient CPU then. What's worse is, presumably, you'll have a better video card by then (likely a lot earlier - you only play RL and don't want to/won't play anything else??) and that CPU will hold back your better video card.

Get whatever homie, almost anything will be an upgrade. I'm done spinning my wheel here though. :thup:

Don't worry, I'll be fine, thanks for your interest anyway

Yep the 11400f is great but you will not be able to overclock. I believe you'll be able to OC the memory now. Otherwise it ticks all of the boxes, 6c12t with up to date tech. Be aware the "F" means it will not have an integrated GPU (most Ryzen CPUs don't have one either). With the non "F" version being only 200 lira more expensive, I would consider getting the one with integrated graphics in case your aging GPU dies and there is a gap before you can purchase a new one reasonably. It might not play rocket league but at least it will let you get online to shop new parts.

Are you planning to re-use your power supply or get a new one? I know the prices of some of them are high now, but usually unless you had a very high end model to begin with, its a good idea to get a fresh unit for a new system (especially with concerns of the local power quality). Since your budget is more of a "what's necessary" let's also include a high quality UPS.

Here are some suggestions to get you started. Since the site isn't in English I may have had some difficulty searching items (like only a few options for memory appeared). I'm still suggesting you do your own research on all the parts before you buy them, this is just a starting point.

-I5-11400 https://www.epey.com/islemci/intel-core-i5-11400.html
-Asus Prime Z590-P WiFi https://www.epey.com/anakart/asus-prime-z590-p-wifi.html (for motherboard please review features you want / need, this is just a solid entry model suggestion)
-HyperX Fury DDR4 RGB 16 GB 3600 MHz https://www.epey.com/bellek-ram/hyperx-fury-ddr4-rgb-hx436c17fb3ak2-16.html
-WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (500 GB) https://www.epey.com/sabit-disk/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-wds500g2b0c.html
-Corsair CX550F RGB 550W https://www.epey.com/power-supply-psu/corsair-cx550f-rgb-550w.html

Yep the 11400f is great but you will not be able to overclock. I believe you'll be able to OC the memory now. Otherwise it ticks all of the boxes, 6c12t with up to date tech. Be aware the "F" means it will not have an integrated GPU (most Ryzen CPUs don't have one either). With the non "F" version being only 200 lira more expensive, I would consider getting the one with integrated graphics in case your aging GPU dies and there is a gap before you can purchase a new one reasonably. It might not play rocket league but at least it will let you get online to shop new parts.

Are you planning to re-use your power supply or get a new one? I know the prices of some of them are high now, but usually unless you had a very high end model to begin with, its a good idea to get a fresh unit for a new system (especially with concerns of the local power quality). Since your budget is more of a "what's necessary" let's also include a high quality UPS.

Here are some suggestions to get you started. Since the site isn't in English I may have had some difficulty searching items (like only a few options for memory appeared). I'm still suggesting you do your own research on all the parts before you buy them, this is just a starting point.

-I5-11400 https://www.epey.com/islemci/intel-core-i5-11400.html
-Asus Prime Z590-P WiFi https://www.epey.com/anakart/asus-prime-z590-p-wifi.html (for motherboard please review features you want / need, this is just a solid entry model suggestion)
-HyperX Fury DDR4 RGB 16 GB 3600 MHz https://www.epey.com/bellek-ram/hyperx-fury-ddr4-rgb-hx436c17fb3ak2-16.html
-WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (500 GB) https://www.epey.com/sabit-disk/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-wds500g2b0c.html
-Corsair CX550F RGB 550W https://www.epey.com/power-supply-psu/corsair-cx550f-rgb-550w.html

I won't use multi-GPU and I use an ethernet cable for connection but in any case using a wi-fi card with a motherboard that doesn't have wi-fi must be cheaper, and when it comes to RAM support I guess using RAM above 3200 MHz violates terms of warranty and I'm not sure what support for frequencies above that would provide. The CPU is not overclockable so I guess better cooling and VRM features also don't matter.

What other features are we speaking of ? It may be better if it will support a future generation of Intel CPUs.

I will probably be using the same PSU and UPS, if we are to rely on that computer service's words, better won't offer better protection, if we won't, maybe electricity quality doesn't matter....

You could look at some B550 motherboards then. The x570 vs B550 is probably where the cost is incurred. I've never heard about using memory over 3200 violating the warranty but terms my be different overseas. Here at overclockers.com, we tend to assume someone is going to do at least a little overclocking, my bad, but you'll be on your own to research warranty stuff and figure out what's best for you in that regard.

My advice, which is repeated from over a decade of experience from those much wiser than me, is never skimp on power production. The Corsiar CX is far from an overpriced or overbuilt unit. I looked at most of the powersupplies available on the site you linked, and this was one of the few I felt I could recommend. Yes they are all much better these days, but you want something with decent guts if you're going to be feeding it crummy power. Especially when it's already causing problems. I don't want to drag someone I haven't talked to, since I didn't hear the words from the horse's mouth, but what this tech is saying doesn't seem to click.

Anyway I feel like re-posting the horse picture. You tell us that the budget is basically what it needs to be, then tell me that you just want to re-use a bunch of equipment that is already causing you problems. You're going to put your investment in new equipment in jeopardy. How are you going to power the old system for use with the TV without a new PSU?

You could look at some B550 motherboards then. The x570 vs B550 is probably where the cost is incurred. I've never heard about using memory over 3200 violating the warranty but terms my be different overseas. Here at overclockers.com, we tend to assume someone is going to do at least a little overclocking, my bad, but you'll be on your own to research warranty stuff and figure out what's best for you in that regard.

My advice, which is repeated from over a decade of experience from those much wiser than me, is never skimp on power production. The Corsiar CX is far from an overpriced or overbuilt unit. I looked at most of the powersupplies available on the site you linked, and this was one of the few I felt I could recommend. Yes they are all much better these days, but you want something with decent guts if you're going to be feeding it crummy power. Especially when it's already causing problems. I don't want to drag someone I haven't talked to, since I didn't hear the words from the horse's mouth, but what this tech is saying doesn't seem to click.

Anyway I feel like re-posting the horse picture. You tell us that the budget is basically what it needs to be, then tell me that you just want to re-use a bunch of equipment that is already causing you problems. You're going to put your investment in new equipment in jeopardy. How are you going to power the old system for use with the TV without a new PSU?

I discovered that the supported frequency varies with the CPU, 12nm Ryzen 3 1200 supports at most 2667MHz while newer Ryzen CPUs support 3200MHz, above actually violates warranty but I guess they may not be able to understand it...

I was thinking I might just get a cheap low power PSU for that but I will see that computer service again before making a purchase and I will ask him if a better PSU or UPS might be helpful for my new PC

I don't understand what makes a more expensive PSU or UPS more useful in a case like this. I read guides about choosing a PSU and they don't talk about electricity quality, according to those guides what my PSU lacks is better modular cables and higher efficiency ratings...

High quality PSU's give more stable, cleaner power with fewer ripples than cheap ones. Really, it's only important when you're overclocking to the limits.

High quality PSU's give more stable, cleaner power with fewer ripples than cheap ones. Really, it's only important when you're overclocking to the limits.

Can you support that with a link ? I want to learn about it.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I actually did overclock my CPU and GPU to the final or a near final point they were stable with, later most if not all overclocking capability on the CPU was lost, it's running stable on stock speeds now.

Back