• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pfsense gigabit router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I have 1gb connection to my house and I was wanting to see what I would need hardware wise to run gb ethernet ports and get 800-900mbit transfer rates. Most home routers get bogged down easily no matter what they claim.

I don't need WiFi. Strictly going to route traffic and do NAT. Not looking to install any other fancy software etc. Ideally would like 4 individual Gb ports. 1 for WAN, 3 for LAN. Has anyone here built one cheap? I was debating on buying a $100 router with AC WiFi, but to be honest I feel I'm lucky if I get 2 years out of the devices before I am constantly rebooting them or replacing them due to them being finicky. IE: I have an AC 1900 netgear I'm rebooting 2 times a week due to WiFi stops working. It's gb ports, but I am lucky if it does 200Mbps WAN to LAN.

I want something stable that lasts me 5 years.

usually getting bogged down is the wifi connection.

if you're not using wifi and only using the ethernet LAN ports, then you should see full gigabit on most routers. (provided it's not broken/defective)

i have a cheap Netgear R6700v2 and i can see full gigabit speeds on all of my systems connecting via ethernet. i also have a gigabit internet connection at home via Fios

this is a speed test that i ran remotely while VPN'd into one of my ethernet systems.

My connection: Laptop -> iPhone wifi hotspot -> VPN server at home -> RDP -> Ethernet connected system (NVIDIA_RIG)
Internet connection for this test: Fios box/hub (not their router) -> Netgear R6700v2 -> Cisco SG200-18 switch -> NVIDIA_RIG

ct2NMrr.png

as you can see, no WAN to LAN issues here. upload speed probably impacted by my VPN connection/other things happening on the network/just bad luck (speeds aren't guaranteed)

Last edited:
for pfsense you want 1 wan 1 lan, hook the lan to a switch.. or else you're gonna have a bad time. lol
just about anything works for pfsense, grab a cheap intel pro-pt/1000 off ebay for like $10 slap it in just about anything and it will be fine for basic routing, now if you are doing packet filtering or squid or the likes, plan on a more powerful cpu like an i3 or i5 to maintain gigabit internet.

Decided to get a T620 plus, added an intel dual port Nic and loaded pfsense. I am now getting GB speeds. And no, the majority of routers out there can't do 1gb lan to wan. Many do 1gb LAN to LAN. I tested 3 different routers and none could do over 500 LAN to WAN. Using iperf, LAN to LAN they could do 1gb.

Can mark this solved.

Back