• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok What'd I miss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

Well guys unfortunately I had to take a vacation. The rig in my sig is no longer, had to sell it. I have been gone about 2 1/2 years and I will be building a new rig this summer. The Gpu world is easy but jesus there are so many new cpus since the 7700k I don't even know where to start. Ryzen wasn't out yet and the 7700k had just been released. So I would like some advice or direction if you will, on which way to head. I've always been an Intel snob probably always will be but I know Amd is making waves. I kinda have my eyes set on 9th Gen Intel. Is it necessary? 9700k 8 core/thread 9900k 8/16. At this level is there even a difference anymore with multithread in gaming at 8 core? My buddy has an 8700k and Gaming 5 board he'll give me fairly cheap. Is there any reason to go beyond that besides sheer enthusiasm? I've always paid the extra money in the past for i7 over i5. If I go the 9900 series it's just ingrained in me to go i9 over i7. Anyway I know alot of you are enthusiasts and understand where I'm coming from. It's been a while, I'm rusty, Haven't done a lot of research yet. Any and All input is highly appreciated. Good to be back thank you.

I wouldn't spend the money on an Intel beyond a 8700k at this point. 8 core/16 thread is bragging rights and bench racing unless you use Blender a lot or other software that uses all available threads. This is all my thoughts, though. YMMV

If I just had to have 8c/16t I wouldn't be looking at an Intel at all. I'd be looking at AMD's Ryzen. If I had an actual need for moar cores I'd wait for the 12c/24t Ryzen due out shortly. My $.02

Alaric, good to hear from you thanks bud. Ya I'm actually skimming thru all these Ryzen threads trying to get what I can out of them. I'm really curious to see how the 3800x is going to perform. I'm just still not used to AMD being relevant. But I may wanna see what they're about to release.

You definitely do. Your buddy's 8700k will do just fine, but if you want to build at the top the upcoming Ryzen processors might take the crown away form Intel.

Back