• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC-ques. tbird 900 IMPORTANT!!!!! need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmpman73

I was wondering if you had to use a pencil to "unlock" the processor (connecting the l1 bridges). what does that do? How do you know if it is locked or not? I overclocked my amd k6-2 400 to 500mhz without unlocking anything or touching the processor by adjusting jumpers on my mobo and checked it with benchmarks. so my question is: can you overlock the cpu without messing with the processor (using the pencil), but just adjusting the jumpers on the motherboard or through the bios? I have an asus a7v and an athlon tbird 900

Thanks in advance :)
Patrick

nope

it like this

when socket A first hit the market you didnt have to worry about it being locked

but AMD tied to stop us overclockers by cutting the traces on the L1 bridges so we couldnt change the multiplyer

BUT if you get a pincel and you reconnect then then you can use your jumper to change the multiplyer

untill you do the pencil trickk then the jumpers dont work

Exactly, you must use a pencil across to L1 bridges to allow the Motherboard to adjust the multiplier. I have found that a 2B pencil works best, a drawing pencil. This pencil lead has the lowest resistance, meaning a better connection, although I used a normal pencil and it works too. The easist board to overclock with is the Abit KT7 since the multiplier, front side bus, and voltage are all in the BIOS, not jumpers on the Motherboard.

its a boxed chip, does it matter? I dont think I can take the fan off it because it is on pretty tight

Back