• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not Enough USB Controller Resources

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I am getting an error about not enough USB controller resources. However that makes no sense as I only have 9 or so USB devices plugged in. I have lots of RGB stuff which uses a total of 4 internal USB headers and 1 external USB port. However, beyond that I only have a keyboard, mouse and headset. I still have 7 open USB ports on my motherboard. So what gives?

It's all about endpoints, id imagine.

Move anything you can to 2.0 ports and see if that helps. Though 3.0 is faster, iirc, 2.0 has more endpoints and can support more (#) and more power hungry devices.

You have 10 ports on the rear IO, four of which are 2.0. You also have 2x 2.0 headers, a 3.0 header, and 3.x front panel Type-c header on the board itself.... i think you're saying all of the headers on the board are in use, but 7 ports free on the rear IO, right?

If your kb/mouse/headset isn't on 2.0, move em and see if that helps.

Edit: Found an article...
https://appuals.com/fix-not-enough-usb-controller-resources/

Last edited:
Correct. So what's the max endpoints any one device can use? I assumed one device = one end point?

The article I linked mentions the number of endpoints vary by device. It isnt 1 device = 1 endpoint.
What is a USB endpoint?
An endpoint is the most basic form of USB communication. An endpoint will carry data in only one direction (either from the host computer to the device or vice versa). That’s why there are two types of endpoints (OUTs and INs).

When you connect a USB device, your computer will create a number of EndPoints (channels running to or from the device). Flash drives will use 3-4 endpoints, where headsets and other sensors might use up to 10 IN and OUT endpoints.

Intel i believe has 96 total.. something like that. AM4 has more.

But all you should need to do is move some devices to USB 2.0 ports.

For USB 2.0, it's 127 devices, about the same for USB 3.0 but some MB manufacturers may limit to 96 devices.
What I think what is happening here is the current limit of the port is at it's max of .5 amps (500ma). In the Device Manager go to USB and open the properties and click on the Power tab to see how much current is being used.

Back