• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Rest for the Wicked - Moon Studios' Stunning Tech Evolution - DF First Look

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

"Moon Studios - the creators of Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps - have finally returned with a spectacular new game, No Rest for the Wicked. Available now on Early Access for PC users in preview form, John Linneman had had the game for a couple of weeks, offering up this extensive preview on the latest iteration of the 'Moonity' engine along with his thoughts on the game so far."

00:00 - Introduction
02:16 - The Basics
04:06 - Curved World
05:39 - Lighting and Shadow
07:25 - World in Motion
11:01 - Future Effects
13:01 - Performance and Options Menu
15:56 - Final Thoughts

I see it has very mixed reviews. You can read what others say on Steam. It looks nice, but some mentioned issues can be very annoying to the point people won't play it for longer.

Edit:
It doesn't mean I won't like it. I have some mixed thoughts about it, but I have it on my Steam list. I'm just not sure if I should buy it or not. Their previous games were great, so once they fix all early version issues, then it can be good.

Last edited:
Well, early access will be early access. This game really reminds me of Battle Chasers (based on the comic), or what BC should have been...

Somehow, I couldn't resist, and I bought it. After BG3, I have nothing interesting to play.
I saw that many people complain about the performance, but I run it at max settings on 13900HX (low power mode) + RTX3060, and it works fine. DLSS is not supported for early access. Some other options are marked as available soon, too.
The menu graphics look blurry, and the characters in the creation look a bit weird. However, they look good when zoomed out in the game.
I guess that camera mode will be corrected, too, as the information "Camera Mode: Legacy" is in the corner, and I can't change it anywhere.
The controls are weird and uncomfortable for me. Maybe the game is designed for pads, as Steam suggests while starting it.
Maybe I get used to some things later, and it's still an early version.

Somehow, I couldn't resist, and I bought it. After BG3, I have nothing interesting to play.
I saw that many people complain about the performance, but I run it at max settings on 13900HX (low power mode) + RTX3060, and it works fine. DLSS is not supported for early access. Some other options are marked as available soon, too.
The menu graphics look blurry, and the characters in the creation look a bit weird. However, they look good when zoomed out in the game.
I guess that camera mode will be corrected, too, as the information "Camera Mode: Legacy" is in the corner, and I can't change it anywhere.
The controls are weird and uncomfortable for me. Maybe the game is designed for pads, as Steam suggests while starting it.
Maybe I get used to some things later, and it's still an early version.

You may want to give Dragon's Dogma2 a shot, I haven't tried it, but may give a similar scratch that bg3 was able to itch

You may want to give Dragon's Dogma2 a shot, I haven't tried it, but may give a similar scratch that bg3 was able to itch

I have it on my Steam list, but it's too expensive right now to "try it". Reviews are somehow mixed, but it looks pretty good and I wish to check it one day.

100% agree with @Flamethrower1972, game looks amazing, it's definitely going on my watchlist

1st 2h of gameplay, don't watch if you don't want spoilers

"The year is 841 - King Harol is dead. As word of his death echoes throughout the kingdom, the crown passes to his arrogant, yet untested son Magnus.

Even worse, the Pestilence, an unholy plague not seen for a thousand years, has returned. It sweeps across the land, corrupting everything and everyone it touches. Madrigal Seline, a ruthlessly ambitious figure in the church, sees the Pestilence as a chance to prove herself in the eyes of her god.

These forces converge on the backwater Isola Sacra, where rebel groups and the provincial government fight for control amid the isle’s crumbling ruins.

You are a Cerim – a member of a group of mystical holy warriors imbued with remarkable powers and sworn to defeat the Pestilence at any cost. But the task will prove increasingly challenging as you become entangled in the people’s plight and the vast political struggle of this downtrodden land. Chaos will pull you in every direction as you seek to cleanse the land of wickedness and shape the kingdom’s fate."

100% agree with @Flamethrower1972, game looks amazing, it's definitely going on my watchlist

I thought the same when looking at videos from smaller displays or screenshots. On my 32" 1440p it's mediocre at best. I had to set everything at max and graphics sharpness to 200% so it wouldn't be too blurred ... and it's still blurred to the point my eyes are tired from playing this game after 1h.

If you like the Souls series, then maybe you will like boss fights ... or any fights. If you look for a story and you aren't the best in hard fights or character control, then you will drop this game after 1-2h.

I was playing for 7h and asked for a refund. Reasons in general, as I said in the last posts:
- Blurred graphics - it should be much sharper and scaled for high displays, it may look good on handhelds, but not on large monitors
- Controls are pretty bad - I mean mainly running and jumping under the same button, default shield use, and often dogging doesn't work on time - a little delay and you are dead
- I'm more into exploring and the story. The world seems interesting. Fights take so much time that I don't even remember the story. I was stuck at the first boss with bad gear and no money to buy anything. I'm not going to learn boss mechanics for a couple of hours to pass the early game stage.
- Performance in general - I thought it was not an issue, but on the i9 CPU + RTX3060, it's below 30FPS when I set high details and 200% graphics sharpness. In comparison, BG3 looks better and has 100FPS+ at max details.
- I knew the game was in early release, but things like cutscenes look pathetic. During all the cutscenes, I had literally pinkish squares on the screen.

I loved Ori's series and how they made graphics there, so this is very disappointing.

Edit:

So you know what I mean about the graphics quality ....

Open both screenshots in a smaller window. Then open the first in a full screen on a larger display and next open the second one.
1.jpg

2.jpg

The first one is the best graphics quality preset.
The second one has the same max details, but with X/Y scaling to the max and 200% sharpness.
Both have disabled motion blur.

The default settings have 100% sharpness. Here is 0%:
3.jpg

Edit 2:

Steam rejected my refund request as I was playing ~6.5 hours (I believe that 2-3 hours the game was minimized), and refunds can be accepted up to 2 hours of playtime. I've never asked for a refund before. Well, so I'm waiting for all the updates and will check the game again in some time.

Last edited:
Back