• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Rob

Registered
hi, got a new build coming up, few things i need help on, Would sli 650ti be better then a 7950 for single monitor gaming. or for $350 ish get a evga 670 ftw. also stuck on a case. ones im looking at have usb 3.0 on the front or top of the case and have a sleek design.
the cpu is going to be clocked round about 4.0 4.2, will be used for games, video encoding and a few graphical programs, nothing to over the top.
also would it be worth using the hyper 212 in push pull if im not overclocking it further and what fans would be recomended for it.
budget is $1800 and getting things from pccasegear.comspecs as.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional-M Motherboard
Graphics:SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Superclocked, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 3GB with Boost
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Solid State Drive: Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD
Hard Drive: WD Green 2TB
Optical Drive: LG BH14NS40 14X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM
Case: *Corsair Obsidian 350D Case with Window, Thermaltake Urban S31 Mid Tower, Fractal Design Define R4 or the R2
Power Supply: Corsair HX-650 V2 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X

Mr. Rob
As per the GPU, you are always better off getting the best single card you can afford over dual, especially a single monitor. What resolutions are you planning on using?
If you are only planning on a slight overclock the CM 212 will do fine, I was able to get my I5 2500k to 4.7 with push pull on one. Furthermore, with a slight OC in mind you may be better off saving a few bucks and getting the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 M.
As far as the case I have heard good things about the Fractal R4, i haven't heard much about the others.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!
  • What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Hard Drive
  • Solid State Drive (optional)
  • Mouse (if necessary)
  • Keyboard (if necessary)
  • Monitor (if necessary)
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)
Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

yes yes :blah::blah::blah: I know you already anwserd some of these I am just to lazy to edit it out:p + it is late here...(or would that be early?)

i have thought about the asrock e4 m aswell as a single 7950. saves a few moneys that could go towards maybe an i7 ?
resolution wise i think it will just be 1080p. thinking of getting the asus 27" 144mhz monitor. looks pretty neat

im from oz so i would be getting all parts locally.

its about lunch here. just watched the capitals go 1 up :)

Are you planning on ever going SLI/CFX if you get a 7950/670/7970 now? Or sticking to single card for this machine? What graphical programs? Are you actually going to write to Blurays?

well i was thinking about running 2 evga 650 ti's as i can pick them up for roughtly 170 each. or for 300 a his 7950 or a egva 670 2gb ftw for 420.
so cheaper with better preformance would be best.

multiple monitors will be used maybe. depending on which monitor i get.
any recomendations ?

i think program wise it will be just cad.. the only reason i chose a blu ray burner is cause i watch them. the burner was 20 bucks more. cant help to have for the future.

so this is going to be the build list. what are peoples opinions on the cm hyper 212's fan? never run cm in any builds before.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K as much as the 3770k would be nice i dont think its much gain for what it will be used for.
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 - M
Graphics:EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Superclocked
Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D Case with Window with BitFenix Alchemy 30cm blue strip
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X wSP120's push pull.

$1400 total leaves $400 to add to a new monitor or change something. ?

so this is going to be the build list. what are peoples opinions on the cm hyper 212's fan? never run cm in any builds before.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K as much as the 3770k would be nice i dont think its much gain for what it will be used for.
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 - M
Graphics:EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Superclocked
Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D Case with Window with BitFenix Alchemy 30cm blue strip
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X wSP120's push pull.

$1400 total leaves $400 to add to a new monitor or change something. ?

I am going to guess this is a "back up" system due to you already having a high end system in your sig...(if true I would still go with a 7870 or 7950)

well i was thinking about running 2 evga 650 ti's as i can pick them up for roughtly 170 each. or for 300 a his 7950 or a egva 670 2gb ftw for 420.
so cheaper with better preformance would be best.

multiple monitors will be used maybe. depending on which monitor i get.
any recomendations ?

i think program wise it will be just cad.. the only reason i chose a blu ray burner is cause i watch them. the burner was 20 bucks more. cant help to have for the future.

Make sure your blurry drive includes blurry playback software as windows doesn't play back blurry discs natively. It says blurry instead of blu ray because I'm on an iPad. Sorry.

the rigs not for me, just another in the house so people get off mine.
my rig is amazing. so i wouldnt be gaming on the other, someone else may, but not needing more then half of what mine is

i like the msi 7970. but i think the visual looks of the sleek lines and flatness of the evga 650 ti sc looks pretty nice aswell as dispersing heat at the rear of the case. im running evga in my rig and never had a problem with them.

Stick with the original choice for board or Asus p8z77 m pro. The extreme 4 m is kinda meh. It's nothing like it's bigger brother. 7950 gets my vote. Especially if it's not your machine. 7950 for a secondary machine is more than enough. I wouldn't bother with any type of sli or xfire.

Back