• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux tweaks and Optimizations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dolemitecomputer

I have been using Linux Mandrake 8.0 for the last month or so and wanted to know if anything can be done to improve performance in it. I know in Windows you can remove invalid registry entries, temporary files, disable startup programs etc. but are there similar things you can do in Linux?

Well linux doesn't really have a registry system like windows, they were smarter when it was designed. You can disable start up programs, you might want to go through you /etc/init.d/ directory. I think that's where they are in Mandrake. Might be /etc/rc.d/

Also compile programs and your own kernel increases the speed, but this might be beyond you. Mixing source and binaries is always a pain in the hand.

How much speed are you trying to get out of it? I find and untweaked Linux to be much faster than a tweaked windows.

I believe many distros have some means of optimizing your hard drive. That is supposed to increase the performance but will damage some drives. I'm not very familiar with what exactly it does.

You can use RAID, although it costs $lots and doesnt work with ReiserFS.

Back