• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT7 - A7V Temp query..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spacejazz

O.K I'm really confused. I'm running a Duron 700@[email protected] which is nice and everything but the CPU when loaded is around 56c and 53c when idle (via ASUS Probe).

What I'm wondering about is how accurate that is as I've read several times in articles that the KT7 shows around 20c cooler than the A7V. Something about the probe being closer to the core. Great, but when I read folks boasting 33c on a KT7 does that mean it's at 53(ish) on an A7V (making sense?). In other words people are recording temps but it's relative to the mobo which are hugely different to one another in temp readouts ARGH!!!

I'm running a FOP32-1 in an AOpen case (nice case =) and it's summer time (Australia) so I can live with the fact it'll drop in a few months time, besides, as I said, I don't know what's accurate and what's not.

One more thing. The ASUS Probe util is on an A7V mobo CD yet the default CPU alert is 84c (or thereabouts), don't they explode(!) at 70 odd?

TIA and sorry for the super long Q.
spacejazz

That seems awful warm for a FOP32, my FOP38 <same sink, bigger fan> runs at about 40C loaded up. Comparing temps between different boards with different sensors or even different methodology with more exacting equipment is a bad idea, i use an a7v so you can use my temps to give you an idea though, the temp probes on these boards arent super acurate but they should be in the ball park. I dropped my overheat warning to the minimum <65C or so> at that point they stop working reliably, if it let it be set lower i would have...but such is life, odds are your computer will freeze before you hit either of those temps.

I think I'm someway into solving my own question...

Powerup - Windows loaded: 20 - 30 seconds: ASUS Probe reports 38c

Logon to overclockers.com: about a minute: ASUS Probe reports 42c

Time to get to this forum and post this er, post: ASUS Probe reports 45c

Is it possible that the CPU can reach 38c in 20 - 30 seconds yet only climb a further 7c in several minutes under a GUI? hmmmm.

Thanks Mike,
Really appreciate the input. I was getting 40c at 700! I assume the ambient room temp (around 30c) plays a part in all this.

I'm looking into a 'blowhole'(?) setup for the summer as I'm only a couple of thousand Km's from the equator.

Thanks again Mike, I'm somewhat envious =P
=======================================
p.s I should have mentioned that the goofy post I made above was from a cold boot at 4:45am at arond 20c ambient.

Back