• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K6-3+ and an I WILL XA 100 plus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evolmyke

Heres my situation... I currently have an Iwill XA100 plus with a old K6-2 450 chip. I was going to buy a new stick of 128meg ram and upgrade to an ASUS A7V or MSI PRO2A with a duron 600 or 700 and overclock. I'm now thinking twice about spending $$ now and getting this setup with DDR just around the corner. Does anybody know if a mobile K6-3+ 450 will work and overclock on my Iwill board? I dont mind spending $50 bucks on the new chip if i can get at least 550-600mz out of the K6-3+ just to hold me over for a while till DDR becomes more availible and cheaper. BTW my Iwill does offically support 2.0v and the original K6-3 450. THANKS!

Fascinating, someone else actually has the same mobo/cpu combo I got! I can tell you that using the default voltage settings and stock HS and a coolermaster fan I successfully was able to run my system for 48 hours at 518 MHz (115x4.5) just adjusting the FSB from the BIOS. I ran SETI@Home command line 3.02 the entire duration. Then I played UT demo for about 5 hours straight, no lockups. So, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to at least get the same results from yours. Of course, it depends on if your chip is as forgiving as mine, i think, I've heard interesting things about these K6-2's. Question, what advantages do the K6-3 have over the K6-2? But, if you can't o/c the k6-3 you sure as hell can with the k6-2. Just make sure you got a nice chunky sink if you raise the voltage.

Nick!

Actually, My question was if one of the new mobile K6-3+(.18 micron) chips would work on this mobo. They seem to be pretty good overclockers and usally get to bout 600mz. I can see on the net that they work on some other mobo's. But i cant find anyone/anywhere who has actually used this chip in my mobo( iwill XA100 plus).

If your board supports 2.0 or 2.1V core i see
no reason not to try it, I run a K6-3+450
(mobile) at 600Mhz now (use the 2.0 multiplier in bios or m/b jumper settings).
Requires lots of cooling to go above 550Mhz.

Chipenstein, I read elsewhere on the net that your board has to have bio's support to use the K6-X+ mobile chips. My IWILL does offically support the original K6-3 but not offically the K6-X+ chips. Do you think that if i do put the k6-3+ in that it would reconize it as the original k6-3 and let me overclock? I would hate to waste money on a new chip then have it not work at all.

Yeah, I know, I ain't much help as to the K6-3, dunno a thing about them; sorry. I'm just offering an alternative incase the '3 doesn't pan out. I have a question or two for you though:

1: have you had trouble getting the wake up timer thing to work correctly? Like, ever set it for some hour of day and have the thing wake up not at that hour, but that many hours after it was shut down?

2: ever use the WOL function? If so, did your board not really turn off (power light still on) and did your HD emit buzzing sounds?

BTW, my board revision is v1.3

Thanks..
Nick!

Back