• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXPIRED I see a flag and I think it's red.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I've started to visit Newegg again. I noticed that they have a new discount "Group Buy" program. If enough people sign up to buy the item(s), they will sell them at the listed price. Seems fair enough. Talk to vendors and see where the bulk discount is and then buy them from the vendor and sell them to the people who signed up to buy them. Make a profit too. Seems legit until I noticed that this unit is "Newegg Refreshed". They have these items or some form of control over these items and are playing a game as if they can only sell them at the low price if...

Seems fishy to me.

1712940790340.png

I don't know if this example is worth the price or not. No VESA mounts so it's a "No" for me. That's not the point. They can only "Unlock" this price if enough people sign up.

I've been noticing these too. Nothing I've been interested in though. I figure Newegg is trying to build on the raffle style mania they had during the covid shortfalls. People would sign up just in case then probably had a good chance of buying if they "won".

Haven't run across that yet... Hrm.

I don't see anything fishy about it though. It's pretty obvious the price of the product is $119. It's just a special offer if enough people buy it. I can see how it may 'push you' towards buying it, but, so many other things do that already.

No problems here with it. :chair:

Haven't run across that yet... Hrm.

I don't see anything fishy about it though. It's pretty obvious the price of the product is $119. It's just a special offer if enough people buy it. I can see how it may 'push you' towards buying it, but, so many other things do that already.

No problems here with it. :chair:
Yeah. Maybe. It may not be dishonest but I think it's less than honest and that bothers me a bit. Seems a slippery slope.

It is not sold or shipped by newegg. Just like Amazon, I do my best to stay away from all the (sometimes shady) partners these companies (& others) seem to team up with.
That's a good point but I will counter with it being Newegg branded as "Newegg Refreshed". I supose you're right though. This way they can buy the "refreshed" product at a low price but only if enough people sign up? Maybe? The transparency in the deal does help.

I will counter with it being Newegg branded as "Newegg Refreshed"
I hear your counter and raise another, lol.

Click on Refurbished you get this...
Screenshot 2024-04-12 141116.png

Newegg doesn't have ownership of that boat. It's just a label (albeit small, lol) that states the product is refurbished. It has nothing to do with Newegg in this case.

But yeah, it's just an offer... to me, everything else is the same level of 'obvious' (actual price, new/refrub, 3rd party/NE)... you're taken by the banner! :)

I hear your counter and raise another, lol.

Click on Refurbished you get this...
View attachment 365750

Newegg doesn't have ownership of that boat. It's just a label (albeit small, lol) that states the product is refurbished. It has nothing to do with Newegg in this case.

But yeah, it's just an offer... to me, everything else is the same level of 'obvious' (actual price, new/refrub, 3rd party/NE)... you're taken by the banner! :)
I call.

Untitled.jpg

It shows that it's "NEWEGG REFRESHED" and while I did not all cap in earlier iterations, they did. It seems to indicate that Newegg themselves is doing or have it done. Meaning that their hands are in it already before the purchase. Yes?

FFS, lol. I miss the green highlighted 'button' that says it, but nailed the tiny print on "refurbished"? :rofl:

Yeah, that would make me think Newegg had its hand in it. TAKEMYCHIPS! :soda:

I'd wonder what that actually means, NEWEGG REFRESHED. LOL. But that's my only 'hmmm' about this. :)

EDIT: Looking it up.........................

Screenshot 2024-04-12 142604.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 142619.png

Do all refurbs have that? If not, that's more a badge of honor (positive), than a scarlet letter (negative), no?

Let's split the pot. :p

Last edited:
FFS, lol. I miss the green highlighted 'button' that says it, but nailed the tiny print on "refurbished"? :rofl:

Yeah, that would make me think Newegg had its hand in it. TAKEMYCHIPS! :soda:

I'd wonder what that actually means, NEWEGG REFRESHED. LOL. But that's my only 'hmmm' about this. :)
Yeah. I supose that's where the "rub" is. How do "they" define "Newegg Refreshed". On the surface and to many if not most reading it, I would think that it means that they themselves have commissioned the refresh.

I also get that it's not the biggest "ah ha" moment either. Just caused me to pause and mention it.

Weird, so it's massdrop for Newegg?

This was my exact thought. Newegg getting into the Massdrop market.

I actually love the idea, as the "Massdrop" price has always been well below the normal market value. It just sucks when the item doesn't hit the target and you "lose out" on the sale.

I've started to visit Newegg again. I noticed that they have a new discount "Group Buy" program. If enough people sign up to buy the item(s), they will sell them at the listed price. Seems fair enough. Talk to vendors and see where the bulk discount is and then buy them from the vendor and sell them to the people who signed up to buy them. Make a profit too. Seems legit until I noticed that this unit is "Newegg Refreshed". They have these items or some form of control over these items and are playing a game as if they can only sell them at the low price if...

Seems fishy to me.

View attachment 365746

I don't know if this example is worth the price or not. No VESA mounts so it's a "No" for me. That's not the point. They can only "Unlock" this price if enough people sign up.
I also don't see anything that catches my eye. And the rest of my build are going to bought through amazon. For a 27-inch 1080p at 75Hz not a good price IMO.:)

Seems fishy to me.

View attachment 365746

C'mon 27" is like a postage stamp... :chair: :D

I ordered a Desktop HD from Newegg the other day (Shipping was sooner then Amazon) I never noticed this new thing Group buy.

Yeah. New to me. I'm still not 100% on this thing but it is what it is.

27" too small?! Postage stamp!? :rofl: My 32" is too big for some of my games. To hard to look around to find data when it used to be in my face, much like my seating position to my monitors.

Back