• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Post Like a Boss!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Looking to elevate your forum game. Want your posts to look as professional as our green moderators? Whether you're a newbie or an advanced user there is always something to learn. This post will teach you the best ways to receive quick and accurate replies. It will also list some common BBCode and ALT-Codes to help you Post Like a Boss.

First and foremost if you're new to the forums, Welcome! Here is a link to some helpful tips to get you started.

To the newcomers. If you're creating a post and asking for help with an Overclock or are looking for help with a system that just isn't running right, start out by posting in the proper section. If you're really not sure where to post a hardware question than go ahead and post it in the General Hardware section. Don't be upset if a Moderator moves your post. They aren't doing it to spite you, they're actually just trying to help by getting your post maximum visibility to those that follow specific sections.

Next, give your post a good descriptive title. There's nothing worse than a title that just reads "Help!". This isn't helping anyone. Try something like "Help! My i7-4790k is reaching 97°C before BSOD!". As you can see this title will weed-out the AMD fans and tells the helpers that you're having temp and BSOD issues.

Third, edit your signature to list your rig's specs. This is invaluable to those trying to help. Note: You need 10 posts before your signature will show up so if you're a new member also list your specs in the first post. Here is a great example and where you can find the "Edit Signature" option.

View attachment 199953

Finally, post screen shots that pertain to your particular issue. Having temp issues? Post a shot of HWMonitor(free) making sure all voltages and temps are visible. Tell us if this is under load or idle. Keep in mind idle temps are generally not very accurate and we will usually want to know your load temps. List what you're using to generate the load on the CPU/GPU. The common programs we suggest for creating a load are Prime95, Aida64, and Intel Burn Test (all free). If overclocking then it's also best to show the three most used tabs of CPUz (CPU, Memory, & SPD). Images can be added using the "Insert Image" icon or the "Attachments" icon.

View attachment 199954

This should be enough information to get you started. Many times you will be requested to show other bits of information which could include BIOS screen shots. These are generally case by case so just be prepared to help us help you. :)

For the more advanced users, lets get into the codes.

Note: Here's a link to the full BBCode.

Here is how to do our most commonly asked question, "How'd you do that?"

• 25°C - The Degree Symbol - There are two methods. 1. Hold ALT and type 0176 on the Number pad. 2. Type [deg][/deg]

• Highlight - [Highlight]Very Important Text[/Highlight] the result looks like this...
    Very Important Text

• Strikethrough - [s]original text before editing[/s] the result looks like this...
    original text before editing

• Subscript - H[sub]2[/sub]O the result looks like this...
    H2O

• Superscript - E=MC[sup]2[/sup] the result looks like this...
    E=MC2

• Jumpto - [jumpto=aname]Text that takes you places.[/jumpto] The result takes you to the anchor. (Requires an anchor)

• Anchor - [aname=aname] Type in your anchor location here.[/aname] The result is an anchor point. (Requires a jumpto)

• Making a list with bullets- [list][*]Insert text [*] More text[/list] the result looks like this...
    • Insert text
    • More text

• Making a numbered list- [list=1][*]Insert text [*] More text[/list] the result looks like this...
    1. Insert text
    2. More text

• Making compound lists- [list=1][*]Insert text [*] More text[list=A][*]Insert text [*] More text[list=a][*]Insert text [*] More text[list][*]Insert text [*] More text[/list][/list][/list][/list] the result looks like this...
    1. Insert text
    2. More text
      • Insert text
      • More text
        • Insert text
        • More text
          • Insert text
          • More text

• Forcing vB to display the BBCode instead of executing the code - [PLAIN]Code[/PLAIN] ← The result is this

• Creating a simple table - [table="width: 500, class: outer_border"]
    [tr]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]3[/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]5[/td]
    [td]6[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Hint: Click "Insert table" at the top of your post.

• Linking a Youtube video -[yvid]rg5LAjsd8xo[/yvid] and the result...

Do you have tips, tricks, or other recommendations? Post them here.

Note: Many of these features have dedicated icons at the top of the posting window.

Last edited:
Is this for code only? As its important to create a thread title that reflects the thread as well. People may think that a 'cute' title brings in views, but the reality is a proper title will get the best people in with answers. This also helps the website itself when google can pick it up. ;)

We also have a 'taking your post to the next level' that members should read as well.

Yeah, this thread was originally intended to share code "secrets" to help dress up posts for those who care enough to do it. I can certainly share the link to the other posting suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the last one!
View attachment 199899

Yeah there was several issues with certain codes not functioning. I contacted one of the admins and it's resolved now but it definitely stumped a couple of us for a while. Lol

Seems to be opera culprit because when I open this thread, I get notification to download some kind of flash file..probably opera handling it incorrectly

Shows up correctly when [vid.....]xxxxx[/vid......] code is used though without ...... And when address corrected to http instead of https. Alaric I believe showed me that trick a while back

Post updated.

Is there anything else you would like to see in this? I'll add an example pic of the CPUz tabs & HWMonitor once I get home.

Shows up correctly when [vid.....]xxxxx[/vid......] code is used though without ......

Taco, you can eliminate the need to use the ..... to break the code if you use the noparse command. Like this...

[noparse][vid]xxxxx[/vid][/noparse] it will display as...

[vid]xxxxx[/vid]

Last edited:
It looks like we lost the Highlight feature during the migration. Gonna do some testing to see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing this up ATMINSIDE.

Test2: text

Last edited:
Back