• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink design thermal software testing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thingi

Well I *think* I've com up with a pretty darn good design for a heatsink. I've modelled the thing in Unigraphics v17.

The question is what software app will accept Unigraphics (or other CAD files I can export) that can model thermal stresses & patterns?

It doesn't matter if the app runs under Windoze or Linux. An open source app would be perfect, but closed source apps can still be considered.

Sorry for not posting this in the Software section, but it's pretty darn specilised software that I'm after. I've modelled the heatsink, die area and fans as seperate entities and defined there relation to one another

regards

thingni

Do you know what kind of fan you will be using, such as the set CFMS to maximize performance while keeping sound levels down?

forlack said:
Do you know what kind of fan you will be using, such as the set CFMS to maximize performance while keeping sound levels down?

I envisage pretty low fan rpm's if that's what you mean, yet the design will allow for very high turbulance within the heatsink. The total CFM's will be not be massive, but they will be put to better use than in 'normal' heatsink designs.

The sound of the heatsink should sound more like a low pitched whoosh than a high pitched whine.

thingi

Last edited:
So where do you go with your plans. Is there somewhere where they will make your HS?

One of my mates designs indycar engines for Cosworth and has a lot of contacts who can produce a heatsink for me. Even then It ain't exactly cheap... that's why I need thermal stress testing software.

thingi

I've seen some programs, but haven't looked at them. I will post later when I have time to look up the links. There are a couple "30 day" eval programs too.

roscal said:
QFin (evaluation possible for 7 days) - http://www.qfinsoft.com/

Icepak,.. (not free)

Well I've checked out QFin and it's awful. It's just SOOOOO basic. No importing of any CAD files :( It's really, really basic. This tool is not suitable for complex heatsink design :(

Now Icepac, that looks more like it. I've got a Demo CD coming in the post. Hopefully this should be far more suitable.

Both programs are made by the same company. Are there any other alternatives out there? Surely.......

thingi

I'm currently using a program from Harvard Thermal Inc. called Thermal Analysis System, works good for me!

Back