• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gray Zone Warfare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Just watched a closed beta (bunca' Twitch streamers) for this game and for those who like the PUBG, Tarkov, DayZ -type games, this one could be for you. It's built on the UE5 engine and it's own custom tweaks...it looks great. Here it is in Steam, Twitch (to see live game play).

This looks like it could push PUBG to the back burner for me. Loving the concept and the 'real' ballistics, etc.

It looks good. Although, the way the second hand holds the gun makes me nervous. Hopefully, they'll fix it later.

It looks good. Although, the way the second hand holds the gun makes me nervous. Hopefully, they'll fix it later.
There are definately some fixes... but it's a closed beta, I expect to see a few odd things. They'll improve off this, open a public beta and improve more....... we hope.

But out of the gate, I'm loving it... especially the graphics.

There are definately some fixes... but it's a closed beta, I expect to see a few odd things. They'll improve off this, open a public beta and improve more....... we hope.

But out of the gate, I'm loving it... especially the graphics.
Sure, UE5 is beautiful :)

Looks pretty for sure but the player characters look stiff so hopefully they will clean that up. It looks like a modern day Rust or Day Z without zombies to me. Am I figuring that right?

Looks pretty for sure but the player characters look stiff so hopefully they will clean that up. It looks like a modern day Rust or Day Z without zombies to me. Am I figuring that right?
You're on the right track. :)

It's not resource plundering and building-focused like Rust. It's more like a combination of DayZ and the inventory of Tarkov. It's PvP and extract, it seems.

Yeah, movement needs to be improved. Running looks hilarious... like tiny leg running, lol. Awkward FOV when ADS in some scopes... arms look funny holding guns.

Hopefully they will figure out a way to keep it semi-casual at least. I like DayZ style games but the learning curve for them keeps the casual players away so finding a nice full server with more than a couple regulars gets tough.

I did. Played about an hour today and look to have more time this evening (wife is out of town!).

I'm really not used to the in-depth inventory and the management. It's slow PvE out of the gate, but once you start finding more LZs and getting into more advanced towns and close to the other factions, you run into more real players. It's a bit of a grind, but follow the quests, get good stuff, go shred.

It's def. an alpha... was it worth $35? If I didn't randomly have it in my PayPal, I wouldn't have bought it today. But I'm glad I did. I enjoyed what I've seen, and want to see what happens when it ramps up.

I've got maybe 45 minutes in so far. Died once from gunfire and once from the server crashing where I lost my clothes. Still haven't figured out how to get new clothes so I'm running around as the most armed naked guy I can be!

It does have a way to go for sure but so far pretty fun.

We've pressed out and have a few LZs at this point. As time goes on and people get the map 'opened up' I think it will turn more to PvPvE, than the PvEvP it is now.

Also, once they open up that zone in the middle, the dynamic will change quite a bit too... but yeah, some ways to go, but enjoying it so far (and this isn't quite my genre... I do prefer something a bit faster than this, but less than valorant/cs2, lol).

I.......don't know how to get new clothes... LOL.

What faction are you? I ipcked the Crimson Shield.

Shield as well on US East. I've only tried the PvE version so far while I figure everything out. I've seen a bunch of people running around so loot has been scarce and I'm sure it would've been a total blood bath if we could kill each other.

Friendly factions get penalized for TKing... but I also got TK'd, lured in, even......dude showed me where one of the quest locations was, then killed me and took my stuff along with my teammate... so he was reported lol.

We had to go to Europe West servers to get in last night, lol.

I got some time to play last night but died pretty much the entire time. My first death was from taking on too many NPCs then many more deaths trying to get my stuff back. A couple were server crashes while I was in bad spots and one was my internet going out. The rest were NPCs camping on my body after killing me. I learned that handguns and shotgun are pretty much worthless and bulletproof vests are very, very important for survival. By the time I finally got to my original death spot all but one of my bodies were gone. At this point I'm down to about half of my starting cash and no weapons at all. Thankfully the server is pretty full so looting dead NPCs gets me stuff pretty quick.

On a good note I finally figured out how to get clothes on! The base layer doesn't go away but has a separate tab in the character screen to put them back on.

I also found I can jump on random outbound choppers to get new LZs. Some of them were way out there so this map must be massive.

It's easier with squads..or at least another player. Hit me up (MainFramR in-game) and if I see you online, we'll connect since we're in the same faction. Server location doesn't matter as my progress (LZs, etc) travelled to EU West and back again to US Central.

I also found I can jump on random outbound choppers to get new LZs. Some of them were way out there so this map must be massive.
You can do that??? I try to get on choppers that aren't mine and either get run over and die or it flys away, lol. That's a great way to skip the line and get new LZs... but, the further away you are, it seems the better the MPCs are, and you'll have more of a chance to run into real people.

I was in the same boat you were as far as dying and losing my stuff and rebuying, etc.

I found this awesome map that helped with the locations of the tasks...

EDIT: Yeah, making your way around the UI, efficiently, is difficult for me. If you're a Tarkov guy, it's easy, lol.

I haven't been able to get on return flights but in the base I've jumped on a couple outbound.

I saw in the new hotfix notes they added a reset so if I can't get this guy going I might try that. So far I've been getting enough to manage though.

"Gray Zone Warfare is a freshly released early access title that adds much needed competition to the Extraction Shooter genre. While different from its peers in many respects, it is also similar enough to where good development decisions could likely capitalize on the stagnation of an entire genre in a very compelling way.

Performance issues and other conceptual choices may be rough, and completely unpolished, but the level of potential here is amazing."

Busy weekend (big soccer tourney in Cincy for my oldest). I need to get back at it, lol.

Back