• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VOLT MOD - PENCIL MOD - HARD MOD FOUND!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No tests or homework tonight so I can finally do it.

Hopefully I can push my Q6600 to 3.6GHz.

Everyone has different comfort levels... I was thinking I wouldn't touch this mod until I could observe the ripple and overshoot on a scope as I reduced the load resistance and made sure that when the processor kicked out of high load the supply voltage wasn't spiking past Intel's abs max ratings. I'd also wonder about soldering a pot with long leads onto the pin as this resistor is in the loop compensation of the controller and I'd want to be reasonably sure I wasn't going to destabilize the loop and set off an oscillation (good-bye all voltage control). I guess I'm saying a little knowledge is dangerous too...

Someone is trying to use big words and long sentences to make themselves look smart :beer:

it will be VERY intresting to see what kinda results you get and how far you have to pencil down (hope you have a multi meter) cus none of the tests results so far have been from a quad being pushed hard.

I've had good results. I can run 3.6ghz now, and I was able to run 3dmark at 3.7ghz but 3.8ghz locks up on me. I doubt any of it was really stable, I was just trying to see what I can do. Prior to the vmod, I could barely boot at 3.6ghz, followed by an immediate lock up.

Q6600 G0 -- 3.5GHz 389x9 1.5v BIOS Pre Results

BIOS:

bios_preVoltmod.jpg

Idle Pre Volt Mod:

idle_preVoltmod.jpg

Load Pre Volt Mod:

load_preVoltmod.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

POST RESULTS

will edit

I'm not getting any results. I've penciled it and it did nothing. My chip is different than yours though....This board is rev1...maybe its different?

My chip reads:
chip_voltmod.jpg

Has anybody confirmed this works on the revision 1 board or do you all have revision 2?

Interesting. Look at yours VS Mine. See the DU3? Your chip sits a different way from mine. Your DU3 is on a different side.

Any ideas?

chip_voltmod.jpg

just got done with the hard mod. 10K pot set to 1.488 res. no load 1.372 under load 1.360. no bad. better then the pencil. im looking to keep a little res. my res between the 2 wires was like 1982 or so. 1982+1488=3470.

what a mother f-er to solder. wow.

pics now up on 2ND post very very bad pics

I punched in the same settings as ps2cho just to see what my results were and to compare. I don't have any pre-volt mod numbers but here are my current ilde/load numbers. I'm running vcore at 1.5v in bios as well. I would have tried 3.6ghz but its 78°F in my room and my quad doens't want to play nice.

Idlevcore.jpg
loadvcore.jpg

wow 1.456 to 1.424 thats GOOD. way better then before! i know when i ran a q6600 on this mobo it was super SUPER bad. good job bro! thanks for posting that up.

Interesting. Look at yours VS Mine. See the DU3? Your chip sits a different way from mine. Your DU3 is on a different side.

Any ideas?

chip_voltmod.jpg
Mine is revision 2. The layout on yours looks a bit different. Perhaps this mod only works with revision 2 boards. :(

Last edited:
Well I guess we will have to wait for somebody who has a Rev 1 board to see if they get it to work.

i would go in with a mulit-meter and check voltage on the area. it should work. the direction is the same. i think your doing something wrong. show me when other then the DU3 its different.

I couldn't seem to get a proper reading from the multimeter either. I had it set to Ohms, but I couldn't get a reading at all. So :confused:

Back