• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing Geforce 6800 GT bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teryktian

Flashing Nvidia Geforce 6800 Gt to Nvidia 6800 Ultra

Flashing PNY Verto Geforce 6800 Gt to Geforce Verto 6800 Ultra

A $100 difference is a difference.

After reading a lot about “flashing Gt cards to Ultra”, my curious nature made me take out my PNY Verto geforce 6800 GT and take a closer look.

By carefully removing the heat sink and fan, I took a closer look at the card’s layout. It is true that the PNY GT is a n Ultra card, in a sense, it is the same circuitry board, but it is not, since it is not only missing an extra molex connector, but also some other components. So I will not list these here, since that is not the point.

This is not the case of a card just with disabled components, missing parts have functions. This is the first indication, that a GT card Cannot be turned into an Ultra That easily.

Of course you could get a Molex connector and the two missing capacitors soldered on at the back, but that is just partial job. I only could picture reference the Gt card to an Ultra, since I do not own the last mentioned card. Also, there are two chips missing from the front, but that may not affect the transformation , since that most likely is the digital processing units for the second “digital out” connector on the Ultra ( while on the GT there is one Analog display plug.

Flashing the card, phase one:

Searching for guides to flash, I was annoyed, not finding one comprehensive. So I decided to give you a quick guide, which is simple, instructive and quick.

Considering the Hazards of flashing a card, and have a $400 paperweight, I highly recommend to prepare, as much as possible. I am talking about hardware preparation, such as getting a UPS or Uninterruptible Power Supply, since power loss to the system while flashing can just make that paperweight happen!

So, I suggest you to get one. Also, you better have a Floppy drive, because you will need that. There might be a way or to to flash from windows, but that is not Safe!

Software preparation:

After assuming you have done the precautions hardware wise , you will need a few software tools, such as:

Windows 95 boot disk for Windows XP users (explanation later)

NvFlash v5.13 utility

NiBitor v2.0a ( in case you’d like to edit your bios file)

A healthy bios file from a reliable source

I found that the most trouble free boot CD I could use was a Windows 95 version. While using the Windows 98 boot cd with Windows Xp Pro, I’d usually see the “wrong boot disk” message, which you can bypass if you know your way around in Windows XP, but for a simple guy like us, the Windows 95 Boot CD is a solution.

If your Boot order for the system does not start with a Floppy drive or you just installed the floppy drive for this purpose, you’ll have to change that order in the BIOS. If you do not know how to do that, it is time to take the book out, which came with your system. Since systems vary, the way to get to it also might be different. But, usually holding down the DEL button at startup will open the Bios window.

Allright, back up your VGA Bios!

First, get a blank floppy and put (unzip) the nvflash.exe on it. You should have nothing else on this disk.

After the Booting sequence from the Windows 95 Boot disk is done and you have A:\ flashing on your display, replace the floppy with the one you have nvflash.exe on.

You need to backup your old bios and you do it this way:

Type: nvflash –b oldbios.rom

It looks like this on your screen: A:\nvflash –b oldbios.rom

Note:you can give any name to your oldbios. Just remember it has to be max. 8 character long. So let say you want to call your bios “mybios” it will look like this:

A:\ nvflash –b mybios.rom
Remove the disk and restart the system by pressing Ctr+Alt+Del

Bios modification, new bios flash:

Create a new folder on your desktop and lets name it Bios Tools. Extract the NiBitor.exe (program) here.

Copy the file here from the floppy that has “oldbios.rom” on it (or whatever name you gave to it).

Open Nibitor and open the bios file for editing.

Unless you know what are you doing, do not edit bios. You can find guides to edit bios files all over the internet. I only recommend changing frequency settings only.

My experiences:

I did a lot of flashes with my PNY card. I literally tried everything, but came to the conclusion that the best is leaving the bios alone. The only change I made was a moderate frequency change to the bios.

The Ultra flash did not work for me at all, going through all bios files from Aopen through PNY.

I could play with these settings openly, since I had a 3d party heat sink and fan installed.

Changing Voltage first.

The very first modification what one should try is to change the voltage first, from default 1.3 to 1.4 on a Gt. Unfortunately, this did not work out to me all, trashing my hopes for getting results out of my card. Not only it did not increase the processing or over clocking potential of my GT, but it decreased my results, almost in every benchmark I have done. No go here!. I set the voltage back to 1.3v soon as I could.

Memory timings.

This is the most dangerous area of bios modification. Under no circumstances change these settings without willing to take the risk of causing permanent damage to your card.

By the way, I would welcome someone, who could write an extensive guide about bios settings and calculations and post it here.
Even with looser memory settings, ( CAS 8 vs 6 or 7) my GT would Crash constantly and supplying raised AGP voltages would not help. Went through dosens of settings, none of them worked, but the original latency settings. I realized, this would be possible, but with deeper Bios changes than NiBitor can offer. Guys, write a program which can do this! I bet people would even pay for it!

Flashing, replacing the bios:

I usually named my bioses I modified MOD.rom files.

You save your Modified Bios Files or files downloaded to your floppy, which contains the nvflash.exe. For security, you could create a new one and secure your old bios file . Technically, you only need nvflash.exe and the new bios.rom ( I’ll refer to it as MOD.rom) on this disc.

Repeat the boot sequence : Boot to floppy drive, boot with Windows 95 boot disk, replace the disk with the disc containing the nvflash.exe after the boot sequence stopped and type the following to load your new bios:

Nvflash -5 mod.rom

Should look like this on the screen: A:\nvflash -5 mod.rom

(If you get a mismatch message you could try to replace the -5 with -6. Also, you can read the instructions of Nibitor to learn more.)
And hit “enter”, say “y”es when promted and wait until you see the:

Update successful message.

Remove floppy and do Ctr+Alt+Del to reboot.

Run a benchmark, I usually start with Aquamark to see if your bios works. Run it always on basic settings first! Not OC!

If you experience artifacts, freezes, distortions etc, immediately shut down your computer with the start button to avoid possible damage!
Well if this happen, it is time to flash your VGA card with another bios or simply, flash it back with the old one.

:welcome:

Thank you very much for that!

I have been thinking about flashing my 6800NU bios, but couldn't find a good guide to do it.

I think it is strange that you can't flash a GT to an Ultra. Considering, you can flash an ultra to GT.
Oh well, the GT bios are more efficient at any given clock speed anyway.

yea i have a blue pcb PNY 6800gt and after about 20 Bios flashes went back to my original bios. I am wating on a silverprop fusion hl and then I might try the 1.4 volt mod again.

Back