• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flamethrower 1972's 'updating my F@H' thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power use maxes out at 285 watts each.
I'm not sure why you quoted me from February. Anyway, the 2080Ti, though a nice PPD increase, isn't very efficient compared to what's out there for the task. It's using MORE than your current card (which is 250W).

I have found the card I am going to buy to replace one of my 1080 tis.I am going to get off of Ebay a PNY GeForce RTX2080Ti Blower GPU 11GB GDDR6 4352 CUDA 1545MHz PCIe3x16 250W for $289.90 + free shipping. I will have the money next month and that should give my PPD a big bump.
...you can get an RTX 3070 for the same money. It uses ~3/4 of the power (220W) and has similar PPD (5.4M versus 5.8M).

I'm not sure why you quoted me from February. Anyway, the 2080Ti, though a nice PPD increase, isn't very efficient compared to what's out there for the task. It's using MORE than your current card (which is 250W).

...you can get an RTX 3070 for the same money. It uses ~3/4 of the power (220W) and has similar PPD (5.4M versus 5.8M).
Ok I will check it out thank you.$279 for a RTX 3070 on Ebay.

My suggestion is to reread this thread. Refresh your memory of what you've been talking about for the last couple of months. Use the PPD and PPW charts we've shared a few times to compare points and power use. :)

Like Woomack said so well previously in this thread, I'd also sell BOTH of your 1080Ti's and buy one better card with the proceeds. Less power use and noise (makes gf happy), and you get more PPD.

My suggestion is to reread this thread. Refresh your memory of what you've been talking about for the last couple of months. Use the PPD and PPW charts we've shared a few times to compare points and power use. :)

Like Woomack said so well previously in this thread, I'd also sell BOTH of your 1080Ti's and buy one better card with the proceeds. Less power use and noise (makes gf happy), and you get more PPD.
You do have a point and yes, my girl Bi$ches all the time about the noise.;)

You do have a point and yes, my girl Bi$ches all the time about the noise.;)
Let's do the math.................

Sell both 1080 Ti's; you'd get around $300 for the pair, depending on how you sell them. If you have another $300 at the end of the month, that's up to $600 for a single card. You can buy a brand new RTX 4070 Super for under $600. For the same 220W as the 3070, you'd get 12M PPD (double!) instead of 5.4/5.9M (3070/2080ti) and one, quieter card instead of using two cards (over 500W total) and not coming close to PPD or PPD/W.

Let's do the math.................

Sell both 1080 Ti's; you'd get around $300 for the pair, depending on how you sell them. If you have another $300 at the end of the month, that's up to $600 for a single card. You can buy a brand new RTX 4070 Super for under $600. For the same 220W as the 3070, you'd get 12M PPD (double!) instead of 5.4/5.9M (3070/2080ti) and one, quieter card instead of using two cards (over 500W total) and not coming close to PPD or PPD/W.
Where is the best place to sell them? Ebay or somewhere else?

RTX4070 costs around $500 right now. I guess you can find something cheaper. I don't know how prices will drop after recent cuts (or it's already after cuts). Super is better, but it probably won't have any price drops soon.

I'm selling on local auctions, but well, it's in Poland. You can try our forums, too. Maybe someone wishes to buy one of your cards.

The thing is, there aren't a lot of people here, so I'd look to do eBay, something locally, AND our forums to get them sold quickly.

If you decide to post here, PLEASE read the rules (twice! LOL) of the Classifieds section before posting a thread there.

I have been thinking that I take one of 1080 tis out and replace it with a card just a little stronger something used in $200 range anyone have ideas? How about a 3060.

I am going to get this.Almost 6mill a day thats almost 3x more PPD. (y)

If noise is still a concern, you may want to avoid blower-type cooling cards. They tend to be noisey and whiney. I take you decided against the cards discussed/everything you were going to do just a scant few days ago?

If noise is still a concern, you may want to avoid blower-type cooling cards. They tend to be noisey and whiney. I take you decided against the cards discussed/everything you were going to do just a scant few days ago?
I looked around at GPUS prices new or used and that one 5+mill and that is almost 3x more PPD then my 1080's Noise does not get to me.:ROFLMAO: And at $275.40 free shipping you can't beat that.PPD Avg 5,950,027.

Last edited:
Yup, you take care of them and they'll take care of you. While my 1080Ti's still work, they've been retired just like my 2080Ti's have in favor of the 40 series cards. Far better performance given the same power req's.
I am getting a PNY 2080 TI for my F@H rig I will remove one of the 1080 TIS and I am sending it to a member here on the form that's going to clean it apply new thermal paste and new thermal pads. I am then I am going to sell it or sell the other one.

Back