• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing an old case and need some help with the power switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

Ok it's an old enlight case that had a AT psu installed in it(burnt out i think) so I ripped it out thinking simply replace it with a low cost atx psu. Well small problem...the old AT psu had the power switch built in. Can a new psu be bought that has the power switch built in? I'm not talking about the switch on the back of the psu either....I'm talking about the power ON switch that I've always seen connected to the motherboard header. This on though doesn;t even have a wire to connect to the header it instead has a power cable running to the psu and it soldered INSIDE the psu to power on the system. I think I could rewire it a new psu, but I'd MUCH rather avoid that. Where can I pick up the parts(if they can be bought) to fix the power switch so that it connects to the motherboard power on header?

I asked this simpilarly before, but don't think anyone really understood what I was saying so I've thought about and looked everywhere for the answer and still ahven't come up with it. I may drop by radio shack and see if they have the parts I think I need. Their website was crap so...hopefully this new post will clear up my question a bit and someone can point me in the right direction. I was originally going to mod the case, but it's just too small, so I'm making an email machine for my sister instead.

If the new ATX PSU is hooking to an ATX motherboard, then I think all you need is a momentary switch (should be available at RS) and some way to connect it to the MB's power switch header.

THANK YOU ! I saw on e of this when i dropped by today. I'll grab one tomorrow and let ya know for sure if it works.

I've got an ATX powered rig running in a cardboard box, and to make my life easier I just put a toggle switch on it: same wires you'd use to jump to power it on manually. Works fine.

A momentary switch works better in a case though!

I have another ATX psu running in an old AT case, and I just hooked the reset switch to the power on header. Also works fine.

Back