• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Space

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

So is anyone playing this? I'm surprised I haven't seen much talk of this on here. I started playing it when I first got it, but I had also picked up Fallout 3 at the same time, so I've been playing that non-stop for a while (well, not non-stop. walking around gets me sick aftera couple hours)

So, I started playing Dead Space again last night and have made it to chapter 3. I like it, its pretty kewl so far. The fact that it's a third person game that controls like first person is kinda wierd, and takes some getting used to.

Also, its pretty obvious that this was made for a console originally, because the keyboard and mouse controls are funky to say the least. but I plugged in my Playstation 2 controller and its extremely enjoyable now. The fact that you have to create your own gamepad config in a text file out side of the game is kind of annoying, but at the same time, its nice to be able to control every aspect of the layout.

I've been playing on max settings flawlessly since I started, and it does look pretty! :D And I gotta say, starting out with a cutting laser instead of a gun is pretty cool. Expecially since the gun does crap to them unless you put ~100 bullets into them. So far my favorite weapon is the Line Beam. Its pretty fun to have a couple things come at you from the wall vents and to either
A: Slice all of their legs off in one shot
B: Use Stasis on them and launch a "Mine" that slicing everything into piece when it explodes :p.

overall, its a pretty good game, but I also enjoyed DOOM 3 a lot, so that might be part of it, lol :D

I also really loved deadspace, I didn't really find any problems with the keyboard controls, but it was nicer to lean back with a game controller. Personally I found the best weapon was the plasma cutter, since you could change the orientation of the barrels I found I could easily adjust the gun to slice enemy limbs from whatever arbitrary angle they might come at you from

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I finished it when it came out, much fun! I didn't go too nuts with the weapons, stuck to the plasma rifle and primary starter 'gun'. I found that the game is really taxing on the nerves, the audio score alone is top notch. Hehe, when I got the game, I blanketed the windows, shoved a towel under the door and put sticky notes on all leds to fully blacken the room. :)

Another one of those motion sickness guys.

I hate space games and I hate insect-like aliens. So, needless to say, I was not at all impressed by Deadspace. I was even LESS impressed by it once I got Fallout 3.

Once I started playing fallout, it was like Deadspace never happened.

That's probably why you don't hear many people talking about it...

Indeed the game is the bomb. I have it and consistantly played it 1-2 hours each night til it was complete. It was one of the games that I couldn't put down yet didn't want to rush through it since I loved it so much. Defiantly a good one, and as well I rarely had more than my 2 guns (starter + plasma rifle). If not mistaken I started going through it on a harder level for the heck of it :)

Good game, really hope they come out with a second, or expansion or something. Gimmy gimmy gimmy.

Oh and I never played Fallout or Fallout 2 or Fallout 3.

A lot of people were talking about it when it was first released a few months ago. I really liked it and it also reminded me of Doom 3.

definitely one of my favorite games so far. i have played a lot of the recent titles fallout not included and have really enjoyed it. the view does take a bit to get to get used to. i played with my speakers cranked and i definitiely jumped several times. solid horror game with excellent game play/graphics and superb audio.

well, I have gotten to a point where I am completely frustrated... I can't get past the damn part where you have to shoot the asteroids manually. He tells me "Just one more minute, Im almost there!" and then 2 minutes later says "I've almost got it fixed, just hang in there!". argh, he makes me wanna point the massdriver at the bridge and shoot his ***! and the fact that I've got dozens of asteroids and debris fragments coming at me at once at al times withe a gun that is NOT the best for aiming just makes things all that much more frustrating... well, time to go back to trying to beat this damn thing :p

EDIT: lmao, no sooner than I get on here and ***** about it than I decide I'll try it with the mouse, it might be easier. well, I got it my first try with the mouse, lol. although, when it showed up saying mission complete I litterally only had 1 point left on the hull, and I had missed an asteroid. if he had popped on a half second later I would have lost again, lmao.

A surprisingly good game IMO. I picked this up last weekend and have been playing non-stop.

No problems with the mouse/keyboard once I realized I needed to turn off vsync.

is that what it is? the vsync? I couldn't figure it out. the mouse just felt akward to use. kinda hard to explain. w/e I've been doing fine with the controller.

I started playing it on the 360 when it came out. I normally get Shooters for the PC but since everyone said the m/kb was crewed up I went the console route. I was playing about every night but got sidetracked by other things. I need to go back to this againg as I was enjoying it. It does remind you a bit of Doom3.

Pc version plus 360 controller = WIN!!

I loved this game... they did a fantastic job at creating an atmosphere, it would keep you on edge and you would be constantly on edge about if evil nasty things were just about to jump out at you!!

Genuine bed wetting stuff... Doom 3 didn't scare me at all!! but this... different story...

:D

lol, I love how they play dead. most of the time they'll keep coming, but every now and then you'll shoot one and cut its head/leg/arm/tentacle off and it will fall down "dead" and then when you start walking by it will jump up and slash at you. first time that happened to me I was like HOLY ****!!! lmao... I've gotten to the point now where if I go into a room and there are corpses laying around I wont aproach them. Instead I'll stand back and shoot off their limbs. I've caugh a couple of em playing possum like that. you shoot their arm off and they jump up screaming and writhing, and then fall over dead. It also works for keeping the reanimators from having something to reanimate, though it does expend a bit more ammo.

Yup, about time for my nightly dose. I'm enjoying the game now that I've worked out the mouse bugs. Controls are a little wonky but the gameplay sorta allows for a level of sloppiness. I would still prefer it in first person, even with a HUD, would've been not so...taxing. It takes so much effort to turn around and look here or there. And I've never liked a character that can't "jump." Regardless, on chapter 3 and moving forward.

oooh... beware the test-tube baddy... thats all I have to say for you... lol :p

EDIT: also, remember to follow the little blue line. It's your friend.

Last edited:
Yeah, the blue line is cool. And I've seen 'breadcrumbs' under control options, what is this? This is also the first game to overheat my computer. I was getting in my licks last night and after about 45 min BSOD. Fired back up and windows BSOD'd. Tried once more same thing, so I went to check the water hoses (the dog has pushed the radiator into the corner before and kinked the water lines and had the same problem, just sooner). Anyway, the hoses were 'hot!' Nice thing about the Reserator is it keeps circulating even when the machine is off. Anyway, let it cool for 30 minutes and it fired right up.:thup:
I do think this game has a memory issue because I've had random crashes to desktop after 40-60 Min. of gameplay, almost on a regular basis. I've run Crysis, FC2, ME,and other new releases and have never had this issue before. Hey EA, still waiting on that PC patch!

Back