• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant Testing By Skinnee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting block choices and fans used, such a low flow rate, great data, thanks Skinnee!! that was alot of time for such a minimal difference in the products.

Thank you, skinnee!
:clap: :salute: :thup: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I'm sure this will quickly become a major reference for many forum discussions here and elsewhere. :)

Now, who's going to write the front page article for this??? :burn:
http://skinneelabs.com/coolants.html

EDIT: just finished reading, I think this image speaks for itself [/QUOTE] And shame on you for choosing the SLI graph when this one is just as, if not more, relevant ...
:chair:

[ATTACH]86442._xfImport[/ATTACH]

But regardless of which graph you choose the bottom line in skinnee's own words is:
[QUOTE] ... [COLOR="Yellow"]coolant choice will not make any difference in thermal performance for your setup[/COLOR].[/QUOTE] [SIZE="1"](And I will add - with one obvious exception)[/SIZE]

Attachments

• Skinnee_CoolantTest_CPU.png
    Skinnee_CoolantTest_CPU.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 106
And shame on you for choosing the SLI graph when this one is just as, if not more, relevant ...

I was gonna post both, I had em both in and then I decided it would be too much image to present the exact same data and people would just rush past and not read the data on at least one (if not both) of them, so I just deleted the one on top (because it was closer to my cursor, lazy ole me)...I didn't figure it made much difference which one since I weighted them equally as the results were virtually identical...how do you figure it's more relevant (just out of curiosity, because I really do strive for quality in my posts...more so recently)

Because, generally, people tend to cool the CPU whether they cool the GPU(s) or not. In other words, more people care about CPU temps than GPU temps. And of all the people who have loops on here how many run SLI? I know it's just a matter of heat load but a lot of people that will be looking at those graphs won't connect the dots.

Also, I know your penchant (the general consensus here, really, including me! ;)) for distilled plus. Posting the one (of two) graphs where distilled is THE best seems kind of bias, you know? I mean, I agree there's no difference in fluids (except that one) but look at the breast-beating (in humor, I'm sure) that has gone on just in this thread already because of that 0.1°C difference - LOL!

Last edited:
Funny you mention that about SLI, because every time I do a system loop without SLI I get folks in an uproar for not using SLI.

I just can't win. :rofl:

Front page article is already done and waiting to have one of the editors click 'publish'. :)

you know what is really upsetting to me...
the fact that with all the systems i have built( and trust me i have built systems that cost more than Ferrari's), that i have been saying this all along as well as the others who have experience.
why that is such a pita is that every few months you get people that will insist without a doubt xxx did 10c or better than their previous distilled setup but without having data and will pretty much pick fights and throw insults. I may not come across as polite with the way i type and for that im sorry , think more of spock from startreck being analytical and not emotional and you will get the tone i am in behind the screen .

but in the end some of us old geezers have made many many systems and in my systems at least the overwhelming data has all been real world and not "theory" but because i am not aloud to post it, none of the upstarts will pay it any attention.
some of you might actually know who or what i am to the PC cooling world and would still not credit its value.

its part of why i dont post so much anymore.

i want to thank skinny and all you other old timers for using your brains and data and skinny for all his effort in doing this when nobody is paying him to do it.

sorry everyone this post is not meant to be inflammatory but i had to get that off my chest after about 9 years here .

Funny you mention that about SLI, because every time I do a system loop without SLI I get folks in an uproar for not using SLI.

I just can't win. :rofl:

Front page article is already done and waiting to have one of the editors click 'publish'. :)
I wasn't complaining about the SLI. I know it's just a matter of heat load and, if anything, I think it's better that you use it because that covers everybody. If it runs X°C with an Intel and a pair of GPUs then I'll be getting much better temps from a pair of AMD CPUs. :D

Great to hear the Front Page is ready to go. With luck it'll be up first thing in the morning - a nice wake-up call for Monday. :D

... but in the end some of us old geezers have made many many systems and in my systems at least the overwhelming data has all been real world and not "theory" but because i am not aloud to post it, none of the upstarts will pay it any attention. some of you might actually know who or what i am to the PC cooling world and would still not credit its value.
I've seen your work so I won't argue with you - unless you try to tell me heater cores are inferior ... :p

Last edited:
...then I'll be getting much better temps from a pair of AMD CPUs. :D

Oh noes... I wouldn't trust AMD's thermal sensors at all. I hope thats not what you meant and meant heat loads. :)

and thorilan, I do know who you are and your compliment means a lot, thank you!

Oh noes... I wouldn't trust AMD's thermal sensors at all. I hope thats not what you meant and meant heat loads. :)
Maybe I should have said "performance" instead of "temps" - but I don't compare Intel temps to AMD temps, if that's what you're thinking, though I know it may have sounded that way. ;)

As I understabd it K10's don't even pretend to measure actual temps but the programs give that impression and, quite frankly, it's too involved to explain the difference to most n00bs - it just confuses them. :p Functionally it doesn't matter anyway ...

Last edited:
you know what is really upsetting to me...
the fact that with all the systems i have built( and trust me i have built systems that cost more than Ferrari's), that i have been saying this all along as well as the others who have experience.
why that is such a pita is that every few months you get people that will insist without a doubt xxx did 10c or better than their previous distilled setup but without having data and will pretty much pick fights and throw insults. I may not come across as polite with the way i type and for that im sorry , think more of spock from startreck being analytical and not emotional and you will get the tone i am in behind the screen .

but in the end some of us old geezers have made many many systems and in my systems at least the overwhelming data has all been real world and not "theory" but because i am not aloud to post it, none of the upstarts will pay it any attention.
some of you might actually know who or what i am to the PC cooling world and would still not credit its value.

its part of why i dont post so much anymore.

i want to thank skinny and all you other old timers for using your brains and data and skinny for all his effort in doing this when nobody is paying him to do it.

sorry everyone this post is not meant to be inflammatory but i had to get that off my chest after about 9 years here .

I have always wondered what your sig meant. I started thinking maybe you worked for a system builder that specialized in water cooling (rare, if they even exist). It is starting to sound like a more industrial application, but all of the principles are the same. There are several times that I have seen you post things that were always answers to questions on my mind. Even if I didn't post up about it, I have always followed your advice, and will always continue to do the same.:thup:

Your work here IS appreciated, even if some of us don't show it. The same goes for quite a few members here.:D

Because, generally, people tend to cool the CPU whether they cool the GPU(s) or not. In other words, more people care about CPU temps than GPU temps. And of all the people who have loops on here how many run SLI? I know it's just a matter of heat load but a lot of people that will be looking at those graphs won't connect the dots.

Also, I know your penchant (the general consensus here, really, including me! ;)) for distilled plus. Posting the one (of two) graphs where distilled is THE best seems kind of bias, you know? I mean, I agree there's no difference in fluids (except that one) but look at the breast-beating (in humor, I'm sure) that has gone on just in this thread already because of that 0.1°C difference - LOL!

:shock: I didn't even think of that...yea, I just picked one (well...my lazyness did lol), but I totally see your angle...yea, that was my bad, I'll update OP tomorrow

as for the temps, the feser whatever it is is just purified water, so, for me at least, it was a win on both graphs, I certainly would have annotated or posted both if i thought it was relevant at the time, now I do see my folly (and will be updating as such). In short, MA B DAWG!!!

Speaking of crap - did you ever get those duplicate graphs figured out ...?!? :burn:

touche - fixed just now too. :)

Yeah, the Feser Ultra Pure is purified water or bi-distilled as the sticker on the bottle states.... Bottled in China, shipped to Germany, sent to a reseller and shipped to your door for $20 plus shipping. :p

I don't know if it is from China or not, but it does offer an option to folks where distilled water is outrageously priced or just isn't available.

Last edited:
Awesome job with the testing, and for doing 3 runs and listing SD so we can see error rate!

Most interesting to me was learning nanofluids so far (even zinc oxide ones and not just fluid xp's ion scavenging ones) do not perform any better than just plain water...guess that explains why so long in coming to market.

And the ~.8C difference in load temps with ~15% glycols in distilled water (feser one, etc) is the same I have seen when running 15% pentosin when I had aluminum ultra waterblock.

Back