• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can cpu air coolers be used for freezing temperature? Would the heat pipes still work or freeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coolmanesque

I plan to use cpu air cooler on cold side of a powerful peltier (200w) which can cool to sub zero temperatures. So that the fan outputs cold air. But I am not sure if vapours inside heat pipes would freeze. Is a cpu cooler even good for this purpose i.e heat sink attached to peltier, cooling the radiator and hence outputting cold air?

Solution
To answer your question though, no you should not use them below freezing as they can freeze and rupture. I contacted Noctua asking if their coolers could work in a sub-zero environment and that is what they told me.
I don't think Pelts are designed to be used that way. I used Pelt cooling and the way it was used is that the cold side makes contact with the CPU. The hot side is what makes contact with the heatsink and the fans pull the heat away.

Using the pelt the other way using the cold side to make contact with the heatsink, you will fry the hotside part of the pelt within minutes of even seconds.

I don't think Pelts are designed to be used that way. I used Pelt cooling and the way it was used is that the cold side makes contact with the CPU. The hot side is what makes contact with the heatsink and the fans pull the heat away.

Using the pelt the other way using the cold side to make contact with the heatsink, you will fry the hotside part of the pelt within minutes of even seconds.
Don't worry, the hot side will be water cooled using big rads. Air cooler in cold side is to throw cool breeze.
Post magically merged:

What about heat pipes using non water coolants like alcohol?

Manufacturers generally don't disclose what coolant they use in their heatsinks so you wouldn't know which use alcohol. But logic would say they could go a bit colder but how much is a gamble. It's just not how they were intended to be used.

Manufacturers generally don't disclose what coolant they use in their heatsinks so you wouldn't know which use alcohol. But logic would say they could go a bit colder but how much is a gamble. It's just not how they were intended to be used.
Alright. I will need to open a new thread then.

Nebs has already explained the best way to use a Peltier.

No. A thread about what would be best alternative way to use peltier to produce chilled air. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.
I think it's covered above?

I still don't see a reason for another thread to ask for other uses of a pelt when you have a thread asking about a use for a pelt already, lol. We can edit the thread title if needed to make it broader, but, feels like it's all the same discussion to me(?). Just ask here. If we need to split it off, we can. :)

Last edited:
Ok lets make this real simple:

The gasses/fluids in the pipes of a heatsink is not designed to be sub-zero chilled. The fluids inside are designed to move like so: CPU heats the contact plate thus heating up the fluid turning it into gas. Gas will rise up the pipes because of heat and fins with fan dissipates heat away from the pipes. Gas will revert back to fluid and the cool fluid will drop back down to the bottom and the cycle repeats itself.

Sub-zero cooling to the pipes will result in freezing that fluid. The heatsink will freeze up and since the pipes are sealed, the fluid may expand causing one or more of the pipes to also expand and possibly explode. Much like putting a sealed plastic bottle full of water and freezing it.

I think it's covered above?

I still don't see a reason for another thread to ask for other uses of a pelt when you have a thread asking about a use for a pelt already, lol. We can edit the thread title if needed to make it broader, but, feels like it's all the same discussion to me(?). Just ask here. If we need to split it off, we can. :)
Uhh what? I am not asking use of peltiers, where did I ever mention that. It will be about how to use cold side of peltier TO PRODUCE CHILLED AIR blown from fan. I thought it was obvious.

Uhh what? I am not asking use of peltiers, where did I ever mention that. It will be about how to use cold side of peltier TO PRODUCE CHILLED AIR blown from fan. I thought it was obvious.
Even if it produces chilled air, it won't matter as the heat load will be dumped into the same room by the water cooler on the hot side.
Due to efficiency losses, you'll net adding heat into the room, rather than cooling.

Hi there

I am looking at doing the same thing as OP, but the plan is to not reach sub-zero. I want to DIY a desktop cooler to be used in hot weather. The plan is to use a digital thermometer to turn off the Peltier module when the desired temperature on the cold side is reached (say, 10°C–15°C). I was thinking of using a horizontal CPU cooler, as it will make for a nice design.

Would using a CPU cooler work in this aspect?

Wouldn't ATMINSIDE's answer still apply? The heat generated by the pelt + fans would result in more heat being added to the environment not less, I believe this is why compressors and evaporators aren't located in the same space in A/C units and the heat is expelled elsewhere other than the room/space you want cooled.

It would; I missed that comment. The cooling of a Peltier module is only about 5%–10% efficient, which means a lot of heat is being dumped into the same space. I guess if I have a closed water loop with a copper coil pipe at the end, I could put that coil into a reservoir of cool water, pump it through a radiator with a fan, and insulate the pipes. It will work better and be cheaper to run. I have a big fan; I will just need thick enough pipes, a water pump, insulation, and an old car radiator.

I am disappointed that the Peltier module won't work like I hoped. It would have made a really nice, compact desktop cooler or heater.

Back