• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building this computer Vs Buying at best buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970
Don't use this motherboard, stick with the Gigabyte 970 ud 3, ATMINSIDE, has one with a 6300 and it works just fine.

The Gigabyte has a better power section than that Asus.

Also, I'm running 4.4GHz on my Gigabyte, I'd say its just fine.

is the HD 7770 gonna be a nice upgrade from a 8800GT? I like how my pc runs most games already, it would be nice if it was smoother though.

is the HD 7770 gonna be a nice upgrade from a 8800GT? I like how my pc runs most games already, it would be nice if it was smoother though.

It will be, but a GTX 760 would do way better than the 7770.

At a $750 budget you should be looking at a 760/7950

Your much better off building the computer yourself. If you could see some of the ibuypower and cyberpower computers we get in the computer shop that flat don't work because of cheap parts or being poorly put together you would understand. Yesterday we had a cyberpower computer with a bad power supply and a coolermaster v8 that was mounted so bad it idled at 55c and would throttle if you ran anything. We tried to fix the mounting brackets but they were bent up we had to swap the cooler after that load temps were under 60c with Intel burn test. :)

I'm probably gonna roll with the build that ATMINSIDE posted earlier, the only problem i found with it is the case

"Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

Also having to order 10 different items from 4 different sites and hoping they all make it to my house.. Idk.. i need your guys opinions..

heres the build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qrfG

Last edited:
The list is just to show you what it is, you can order from wherever. (You said you were close to Microcenter, go there and get the CPU/mobo combo). Get the rest off Newegg/Amazon, depending which has the better price.

Only ordering from two places then, and because of microcenter's combo price, you get $40 off the mobo when buying with a CPU.

Edit: Don't worry about the "Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.", it simply means you won't have USB3.0 ports on the front.

The list is just to show you what it is, you can order from wherever. (You said you were close to Microcenter, go there and get the CPU/mobo combo). Get the rest off Newegg/Amazon, depending which has the better price.

Only ordering from two places then, and because of microcenter's combo price, you get $40 off the mobo when buying with a CPU.

Edit: Don't worry about the "Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.", it simply means you won't have USB3.0 ports on the front.

okay cool, but the microcenter is kinda far, I'll probably just get it all shipped to my house, i just never liked dealing with ordering stuff (had bad experience in the past)

But im gonna go for it and get this build, im drooling over it right now lol, I appreciate everything you guys do here, your very helpful and I'm sure you will see more posts from me about help trying to build this computer on my own. Should be about 2-3 weeks till i order it.

does this list need anything else? I dont see any audio stuff, or is that on the motherboard already?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qrfG

thank you everyone for all the replies so far, this is what i have come up with, i heard the amd fx cards not working too well with the gigabyte motherboards so i changed it to this asus, let me know what you think?

Configuration
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+10]
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+32] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Not sure where you heard that AMD FX CPUs don't work well on Gigabyte mobos. I have 2 rigs, both have Gigabyte mobo and FX CPUs. Both run quite well with no issues.

The motherboard has great onboard sound, all you need is speakers or a headset.

So I come back here to thank all of you for the great help and ATMINSIDE for the build he posted, which i built on my own yesterday, and for the first time building a computer, it was a lot easier then i had thought. Glad i listened to you guys about that. Got a way better computer then i would have ordered pre-built. The only problems i really ran into were my LED case lights on the cooler master storm enforcer, but that just happened to be a few loose plugs. Up and running now.. So far its awesome, i was able to use 512/512 texture packs on minecraft at a steady 60-80 FPS. I'm very satisfied.

The Final build:
amd fx 6300 6 core processor
8Gb RAM
1TB harddrive
GTX 760 2GB graphic card
HX750 watt corsair(for i plan on going SLI later)
cooler master storm enforcer mid tower with a extra 200m megaflow top fan
and windows 7.

Thank you all for the help!!
1185300_10200796869104934_1563921_n.jpg

Sometimes it's a hurdle to get the nerve up to do it, but you get to pick the components you want and in the end it's well worth it :bday:
Congrats on your 1st build :thup:

Crushin frames, Nice rig!
Only things missing are pics!!!

Edit, stupid work blocked the pic lol
looks great!

Last edited:
Get that case off of that carpet! Apart from wll the dust itll pick up, if you have a bottom mounted powersupply, and i think you do, you arent letting it breathe on the carpet. Put it on a desk or at least a piece of wood on the floor.

Back