• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best memory for amd 3900x with am4 x470 asus crosshair x470 hero?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

best memory for amd 3900x with am4 x470 asus crosshair x470 hero? ram i have i found out later wasnt the best you had to kick punch and brawl to get it to do ddr 3200 it will do it but cant get it to stay stable, as i said i found outi could have bought better ram for amd

I wouldn't spend a penny on upgrading RAM speed on that platform. If you need more capacity too, then sure why not. But if you're replacing XX GB with just 400 MHz faster RAM, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Don't expect tangible performance gains.

I was partial to the GSkill Trident Z Neo for AMD of that gen...

Anyway, I'd suggest looking at your board's Memory QVL list and pick something off there if you're looking for plug and play.

if i go to am4 with a x570 have any idea,s what ram works best for a 5900x amd cpu?

Last edited:
You're going to be in even a less juice for the squeeze situation. The difference between DDR4 3200 and 3600 is not perceptible in real world performance. Your Crosshair VII can already run the 5900x with a bios flash and won't break a sweat.

EDIT: Are you sure you can't get your ram stable. What do you have? What is it running at?

I put in some effort to make sure I had B-die but it probably didn't matter. Zen+ still had some memory compatibility issues and manufacturers weren't really setting up memory sticks for AMD at the time. I knew 3200 CL14 B-die would work well and give a lot of flexibility, and it has, but sometimes it feels like wasted potential (on the other hand). Plus it was a price premium (twice since I had a single poorly optimized game that caused me to upgrade to 32GB).

As an aside: A while ago I just came to the conclusion that the game runs poorly on any system, and I recently poked around a forum where people were saying you needed a 4080/90 to run it well in VR. Years ago it was a 2080. The game hasn't changed, I'm sure the framerate bar has moved up for VR (maybe with a 4080 it wouldn't make me nauseous and give me a headache) as well. On the other hand, if even the latest tech isn't good enough for such an old game, and this has been the case for years, the problem isn't the hardware. Either way I don't have the time or money to worry about it now.

ok decided id do memory as well make it a trifecta....so for a AMD 5900X& ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) what is best speed to get that isnt expensive i mean is it worth going over ddr4 3200? so if anyone can show me a 8x2 16 gig kit ddr4 3200 or higher that works best with this cpu and chipset?

You'll want to look at trident-z neo 3600 C18 if possible. I may have lost the point here but it seems like if you're going for all new parts it would make sense to do something newer.

Back