• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bat Outta Hell Week for Rosie!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now the nice thing compared to fah is that the client has a store of wu's to crunch right?

Oh and what about my first question,the correct way to shut off the client...just close it?

Hi teamates,

When shutting down do you need to pause the work before closing Boinc?

Hopefully in a few days I will not contantly be looking at my stats for my meager update...:screwy:

First timer anxiety!

Hi dfonda,

When shutting down, I usually just go to the 'activity' tab and suspend it first, then exit. If I am lazy, I just exit BOINC without suspending it. Haven't lost a WU yet..

As for stats, meh... RAC is screwy. It takes ~2 weeks for you to see actual credits matching your average credits.

It is the same when you stop all of a sudden. My RAC is artificially inflated. I stopped for ~ 2 weeks and RAC is still reporting 3K+ even though I just resumed crunching again.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just put in 2 quads and 2 dualies, mostly stock as heat is an issue. Will put all CPUs back to Rosie in a couple of weeks.

Glad to see you back with us, even in a limited way, WP!

I thought this heat wave over So CA was over, but it's *BACK*! :(

So far, I'm still running full blast for Bat Week. Hopefully, it will get no hotter for the rest of the week.

Now the nice thing compared to fah is that the client has a store of wu's to crunch right?
right you can store WU's done by number of days. all my rigs are set to store 7days of work just in case.

I joined your competition with a Q6700. It doesn't run full time but it's what I got. Good luck to ya guys.

@don256us - thanks, we're glad to have you! :clap:

The front page of Rosetta's website mentions that they'll have the system down for a "few hours", for a memory upgrade and full database backup.

It started at about 11:00 am, and it's still down at 7:00 pm., so they must have hit a snag, somewhere.

We should all have a cache of at least a few days of work to fold, so the folding should go on, unabated.

* Fold On *​

Bat Outta Hell Week - End of Day 3:

At 8:45 p.m.: (All times PDT)

Here's where we stand now:
Code:
[color="LightBlue"][size="3"]

34  	VTC  	                    41  11,276  20,368,942
35 	Team Starfire World BOINC  106 	 5,699 	20,238,026
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]36 	Overclockers.com	   146 	41,134 	19,862,400[/COLOR]
37 	AMD Users 	           484 	35,030 	19,849,558

[/color][/size]

We have again pulled ahead of AMD Users - this time by 13k points. With our RAC 6k more than theirs, we may be starting to pull away for good.

BOINC stats has not been given the updated data yet, so we're still behind AMD Users, on that stat page. Not to worry, they'll catch up. :D

Today, we earned 104,000+ points (credits), for our team! That is the ninth-most points in the world, for today. For a team not even in the top 30, that's fantastic, and shows one thing - we'll be in the top 30, before long. :cool:

<< The Bat Outta Hell Rally is ON >>

Our team RAC was 27k, and now it's 41k - in just three days!

Distances:

1234* Team Starfire - 376k
1234* VTC - 506k

We're a long way behind Team Starfire - usually anything more than 100k and I don't even consider it for a pass yet - but this is the

Bat Outta Hell Week!

and we have more focus than ever, a surging RAC, and new and returning Rosie teammates, as well.

This Bat has found it's wings!

Hoow!, Hoow!, Hoow!

<< Go! Go! Go! >>

Our Most Current Team's Rankings: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_teams.php?sort_by=total_credit&offset=20

Our Most Current Members Rankings: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_members.php?teamid=230&sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=0

Our Team's Stats (All the stats, but 4-10? hours behind): http://boincstats.com/stats/team_stats.php?pr=rosetta&st=0

Our Members Stats (All there, but behind somewhat): http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats.php?pr=rosetta&st=0&ti=230

Last edited:
Bat Outta Hell Week - Start of Day 4:

At 7:00 a.m.: (All times PDT)

Code:
34  	VTC  	                         41     11,236  20,373,506  Up 5k
35  	Team Starfire World BOINC  	106  	5,916   20,242,610  Up 4k[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
36 	Overclockers.com 	        146    46,024   19,930,055  Up 68k[/COLOR]
37 	AMD Users 	                484    38,342   19,898,313  Up 49k
[/color][/size]

AMD Users are now 32k points behind us, and continue falling back. With our RAC 7k more than theirs, I expect no further leapfrogging.

BOINC stats has not been given the updated data yet, so we're still behind AMD Users, on that stat page. Not to worry, they'll catch up. :D

Our team RAC was 27k, and now it's 46k - in just four days!

Distances:

1234* Team Starfire - 376k 312k
1234* VTC - 506k 443k

We're a long way behind Team Starfire - usually anything more than 100k and I don't even consider it for a pass yet - but this is the

Bat Outta Hell Week!

and we have more focus than ever, a surging RAC, and new and returning Rosie teammates, as well.

I'll post up our individual RAC's at the end of today - it is awesome, to say the least!

Every team needs to recognize the contribution of it's members, and that's what I'll be doing today on day 4 of the Bat Outta Hell Week.

Special welcome to Don256us, and strong folding by Evilsizer, Dr.Shivas, jiNtatsu, trackdrew, Ben, and so many others - it's inspiring.

<< This Bat has found it's wings! >>
BatCloseUp2.png

Hoow!, Hoow!, Hoow! :

<< Go! Go! Go! >>

Our Most Current Team's Rankings: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_teams.php?sort_by=total_credit&offset=20

Our Most Current Members Rankings: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_members.php?teamid=230&sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=0

Our Team's Stats (All the stats, but 4-10? hours behind): http://boincstats.com/stats/team_stats.php?pr=rosetta&st=0

Join Our Team - Keyword "Overclockers.com": http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team.php

Our Members Stats (All there, but behind somewhat): http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats.php?pr=rosetta&st=0&ti=230

Last edited:

First, you have to understand a bit of our Rosie team's history. This team was *very* small and *barely* known, until last year when the The Pirate Fleet sent over some "Trash Talk" about how they were going to pass us, after stealing all our rum and "wimin", (all in cartoon pirate speak). They sent it to the FAH and SETI forums, (Rosetta team had no response iirc), and that's where it caught our eye.

This is the thread - hilarious you have to say: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=574132

What the hell?

Many of us had no clue we even *had* a Rosetta team. The original founder was not around, had never folded a single WU - it was a team becalmed in 101st place. It was "advancing to the rear", in mil-speak. :D :D

Peglarr was the top point guy, SunRedRX-7, sir_LOIN, karbon, Hamm3r, and a few others were also active folders at that time - and that was about it. The Pirate Fleet raced right by us, chortling in cartoon pirate-speak, as they went. There wasn't anything we could do about it on such short notice.

Grrrrrrrr!

The same day, Donuts, Ben.world.order (BWO) and myself, joined our Rosetta team, and started whipping up some enthusiasm for chasing after these funny-talking Pirates.

We got it! Some SETI crunchers (mudddoktor) and some FAH folders(Thideras, Evilsizer, Jolly-Swagman) joined us for short or long term enrollments.

We took out The Pirate Fleet, in just a few weeks. :cool:

Success breeds success, and we needed all the help we could get: Surfpunk, Baditude_df, DrShivas, JiNtatsu, DJCorpse, ian.wheat, Bootlag2004, TC, and many others, all lent a much needed boost.

Then there was Pixie. She brought over enough folding power to *really* get this team racing along! Although FAH is her primary concern, when she's giving a part of her folding farm to Rosie, you can really see the points rack up. You know why she's surpassed Peglarr as our #1 folder on the team.

The teams success attracted even more folders: ohiosurfer, nucligator, Flexy, ghost_recon88, trackdrew, m0nk, Leeroy, GrayHatHacker, KonaRaven, Jackson, and many others.

Now we've had another boost with BAT OUTTA HELL WEEK, and as a result, several folders have joined us. Some for the short term, some for the long term - all of it is greatly appreciated:

JerseyTomato, klear, dfonda, hrsetrdr, PenguinNinja, Ben, Rick, and several others.

This is just from memory, and by no means is it going to be right on. It also leaves off dozens of names of our teammates - but they're all appreciated, and I'm sure they know that I can't begin to list every name and do it justice. That's for the stats pages.

Here is our top 40 in RAC:
Code:
[COLOR="Red"] 1) drshivas 		     8,434.06[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"] 2) Adak 		     4,961.08
 3) Evilsizer 		     4,893.02
 4) Donut 		     4,760.26
 5) ben.World.order 	     4,703.05
 6) pixie 		     3,842.35
 7) jerseytomato 	     2,579.89
 8) m0nk 		     2,483.72
 9) Surfpunk 		     2,357.57
10) SunRedRX7 		     2,282.76[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]11) Thideras 		     2,265.05
12) Leeroy 		     2,106.48
13) JiNtatsu 		     1,541.54
14) baditude_df [Founder]   1,488.18
15) peglarr 		     1,413.18
16) NUTNDUN 		     1,378.07
17) KonaRaven 		     1,212.67
18) DJCorpse 		     1,116.11
19) trackdrew 		       996.04
20) dfonda 		       969.88
[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]21) Jackson 		       949.20
22) muddocktor 		       873.60
23) JollySwagman 	       660.98
24) klear 		       573.84
25) Bootlag2004 	       464.52
26) Katharine 		       444.89
27) MrGuvernment 	       398.33
28) ben 		       332.21
29) ohiosurfer 		       298.52
30) tgxiii 		       290.60
[/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]31) Penguininja 	       216.52
32) Paul Birch 		       176.08
33) nudave 		       157.40
34) ZL1 		       116.44
35) Don 		       112.97
36) Psycophreak 	       106.79
37) Duner 		        97.45
38) ghost_recon88 	        83.41
39) James 		        80.99
40) Deadly Syn 		        57.13[/COLOR]
And our top 40 in Total Points:
Code:
[COLOR="Magenta"] 1) pixie 		    1,994,777[/COLOR]
[COLOR="LightBlue"] 2) peglarr 		    1,912,615
 3) Donut 		    1,556,008
 4) tgxiii 		    1,498,030
 5) Leeroy 		    1,495,180
 6) drshivas 		    1,076,372
 7) ben.World.order 	      957,490
 8) DJCorpse 		      843,629
 9) Thideras 		      834,675
10) baditude_df [Founder]     773,559[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]11) SunRedRX7 		      715,216
12) Surfpunk 		      601,558
13) NUTNDUN 		      591,083
14) Adak 		      544,987
15) GreyHatHacker 	      489,680
16) Evilsizer 		      455,642
17) Bootlag2004 	      368,861
18) m0nk 		      328,800
19) sir_LOIN 		      314,573
20) TC 			      287,322
[/COLOR][color=#bbccff]21) JollySwagman 	      273,545
22) bugsbunny874 	      271,958
23) muddocktor 		      247,721
24) trackdrew 		      244,629
25) Tyrinon 		      241,645
26) Hammer 		      241,008
27) Don 		      207,950
28) Mikey 		      207,712
29) MrGuvernment 	      207,156
30) hitokiri_808 	      206,359[/color]
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]31) silent bob 		      172,588
32) Jackson 		      165,993
33) JiNtatsu 		      149,927
34) Teque5 		      142,881
35) ian.wheat 		      124,510
36) KonaRaven 		      120,140
37) nucligator 		      108,563
38) Michael J. R. O'Brian     94,114
39) dyoder 		       92,297
40) Hardin 		       87,750[/COLOR]

Without all the great folding, from all of the above, and many more who haven't quite made these lists, we wouldn't be heading for a top 20 Rosetta team.

I thank you - THE PIRATE FLEET -- uhhh, not so much! :D :D :D

Last edited:
I find the history of our different teams to be a great read!

How about some more?

How does/did a Rosie team go about changing the founder?
Did the team name change or just the founder(Baditude)?

Is there a table listing rac for each Cpu?

I am guessing the Rosies in my sig will do at least 2400 rac total. Is that a fair guess?

Last edited:
The team name didn't change, although I can do that. Maybe we should vote on it? I like our website name though. It lets people know exactly who's blowing their doors off!
As for the foundership change, I just put in a request directly to David Baker to have it shifted over to my name after Adak moved on. Adak can give you the details of his trials and tribulations if he wishes, but can tell you there was a bit of bad blood there. :bang head Right Adak?

But Adak, being the fine gent that he is, never Really left. He seems to be a Jack of all projects and we're glad he's back for a bit to fire things up once more!

A big thanks to all of our F@H brothers and sisters as well. It's great having you guys over here. :)

fonda - http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/hosts_user.php?userid=316170
When you're on our team page at rosetta, just click on your name and then on Computers - VIEW

And I'm not sure what your machines can do. My i7 920 will do well over 3K by itself. So could my Q9550 at 3.8GHz.

Last edited:

How about some more?

I am guessing the Rosies in my sig will do at least 2400 rac total. Is that a fair guess?

This is the original "trash talk" (more like hilarious pirate speak), from The Pirate Fleet - complete with their pirate flag, no less: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=574132

There was a big stink across all the BOINC projects, about the founders, and the way they're changed, and the way the points are handled when a folder moves to another team.

*BIG STINK*

If you want an example of a real scoundrel or two, catch up on my thread in the Other DC Projects which have the word "scoundrel" in them. You'll be amazed at the dirty tricks that were played by several nefarious characters - one in the Czech National Team, and others on a wide range of teams. That is a two thread post. Shows how you could have someone move onto a team, and in a short amount of time, steal away all the team points.

My attempt at becoming the team founder was mired in this *big stink* context. An administrator there *really* ticked me off on the matter, and I quit folding for Rosetta, for quite awhile. Fortunately, Baditude was around to take over.

There is a list of the top computers in Rosetta here (it's first page is all Xeon's): http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_hosts.php

(aka "The Chris Brew List") :p

Evilsizer's i7 is on page 2 or 3.

The best way to know what your computers will do for RAC, is to let it ride for 3 weeks. Since RAC is such a geeky equation, you might better be served just by noting your daily output at BOINC STATS, and if you have 6 days of good data, then add them up and divide by 6.

RAC is tilted heavily to allow only slow increases, and slow decreases, so be wary of thinking of it like FAH's 7 day average - it is quite different.

Last edited:

How about some more?

to give you an idea about RAC my Atom 330 box just broke 300, my [email protected] is doing 1.1k about to hit 1.2k. my [email protected] running 24/7 is at 3.5k getting closer to 3.6k, i7 has HT enabled. kinda shocked i was number 2 in RAC for for a short while...

*edit*
yep Adak the i7 is #39 for top hosts! WOW, i wonder where it would be at if i could get 4ghz stable with HT! :O :drool:
you LGA771 rig give my i7 a run for its money, only about 200-400 rac behind it once it is built back up.

yep Adak the i7 is #39 for top hosts! WOW, i wonder where it would be at if i could get 4ghz stable with HT! :O

I'll let you know in about a 2 weeks! hehe.

Gotta get yourself a D0.

Last edited:
Bat Outta Hell Week - End of Day 4:

At 7:00 p.m.: (All times PDT)

Code:
34  	VTC  	                    41  11,020  20,376,722  Up 3k
35 	Team Starfire World BOINC  106   5,924  20,245,747  Up 3k
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]36 	Overclockers.com 	   146  48,718  19,981,960  Up 51k[/COLOR]
37 	AMD Users 	           485  38,879  19,923,613  Up 25k
[/color][/size]

AMD Users are more than 50k points behind us, and continue falling back. Our RAC is now 10k more than theirs, I expect no further leapfrogging. Their team is now of no further interest, and will not be included in these updates.

Our team RAC was 27k, and now it's 48k - in just four days!

Distances:

1234* Team Starfire - 376k 312k 264k
1234* VTC - 506k 443k 395k

Bat Outta Hell Week!

and we are rallying; closing the gap between us and them, with excellent speed.
:burn: :burn: :burn:

<< This Bat has found it's wings! >>

BatCloseUp2.png

Hoow!, Hoow!, Hoow! :

<< Go! Go! Go! >>

Join Our Team - Keyword "Overclockers.com": http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team.php

Last edited:
I'll let you know in about a 2 weeks! hehe.

Gotta get yourself a D0.

well i got a new job out in NM so im looking at long work hours. a D0 might be in my future but for rosetta only boxes. gaming is taking more a back seat not many games to look at. i cant stand some of the stuff they are doing, i was miffed when i had to attach Fear2 to my steam account. i only ever play single player for alot of a games, few i play multiplayer. last MP game i played was CSS...

actually i was thinking of either a LGA771 setup for rosie or a dual LGA1366 mobo. my first though was LGA771 since i could pad mod the cpu to a higher FSB. that would be a sweet setup, i mean look at adak's LGA771 setup in a few days. at a mear 2.5ghz for two quad cores it does more RAC then my i7. :eek:

RALLY THE TROOPS!! WE ARE GOING TO TAKE THIS BEACH!!!!

well i got a new job out in NM so im looking at long work hours. a D0 might be in my future but for rosetta only boxes. gaming is taking more a back seat not many games to look at. i cant stand some of the stuff they are doing, i was miffed when i had to attach Fear2 to my steam account. i only ever play single player for alot of a games, few i play multiplayer. last MP game i played was CSS...

actually i was thinking of either a LGA771 setup for rosie or a dual LGA1366 mobo. my first though was LGA771 since i could pad mod the cpu to a higher FSB. that would be a sweet setup, i mean look at adak's LGA771 setup in a few days. at a mear 2.5ghz for two quad cores it does more RAC then my i7. :eek:

RALLY THE TROOPS!! WE ARE GOING TO TAKE THIS BEACH!!!!

There are some downsides though:

1) This is a 2 cpu setup, so it's made for server work, not any kind of O/C'ing. BIOS options are slim for that.

2) The reason it's a good cruncher/folder, is it has a large cache built in -
which ensures it's not a real power-miser, although my particular board tried to be just that.

3) Since my cpu's are physically very close together, aftermarket cooling options are very limited. Some server boards are designed with their cpu far apart (note to self).

4) Mobo size is quite large - not many cases will handle it.

5) Cpu and RAM cost are doubled.

6) Mobo has a lot more traces, increasing it's cost.

The way I look at it is my i7 does 4/5'ths or so, of the work of my dual quad server, and the price of all i7's will be falling quickly as soon as the next generation of cpu leapfrogs over it. It does this while running at 2.93 GHz.

The prices of Xeon's won't be falling nearly as much.

If I had it to do over right now, I'd probably aim for eventually having two i7 systems, (920 or 940), and 2 to 4 graphics cards, total. You'll never race past ChasR or Pixie with that, but you will be able to add a lot of folding power to whatever project you decide to contribute your resources toward, and do any other type of computer work or play, that you want to.

Back