• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Aquarium Oil Submersion Break-Down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anonaru

Hey!

I told a bunch of people here a long time ago that I would make this thread, showing people how I made this:

Video of Oil Rig

I'm going to post what pictures I've made already, then compile the how-to, what steps I took to eliminate hot spots, and post you some temp numbers!

This is the finished project-- I intend to work backwards for sakes and purposes. The project was a smashing success, and is by far my biggest conversation piece in the shop. It runs cool, its clean, its quiet, and there's no hotspots! A bubble rock strip, creative pipe laying, and a little imagination made something come together great:
attachment.php

I'm posting the other two pictures I already have up on this site, as I'm not at home right now. Look at mah fans!
attachment.php

This is the block dry, before I did the optimizations and mods required to run in oil. Also, before I added the all-vital Triceratops head--

attachment.php

When I get home, I'll begin a big rundown, and I may even make a video:salute: Godspeed!

Well done!

But there is something I've always been wondering: how do you "cool" the mineral oil?

Edit: and subbed!:thup:

How many people have asked you why you don't have fish in it?

Cool idea, make a divider that separates the front from the back. Fill front with water, fill back with oil, dump fish in front, then win at life.

Well done!

But there is something I've always been wondering: how do you "cool" the mineral oil?

Edit: and subbed!:thup:

I thought the video showed the HUUGGEE rad that's on the back of teh tank? If not, I'll get you some nice shots of that-- Basically a powerful pump pushes the oil through a rad system where those 12 fans are spinning very slowly (900 RPM I believe)

This keps things ice-cold and damn silent :attn:

EDIT:

How many people have asked you why you don't have fish in it?

Cool idea, make a divider that separates the front from the back. Fill front with water, fill back with oil, dump fish in front, then win at life.

LOL, you have NO IDEA! I was thinking about adding a slim tank to the front and throwing a warm-water fish, since the temp of its back wall would be a steady tropical level. Maybe a betta? Some flashy little tetras? I duno, I'm not a big fish guy. I do get people asking 2-5x a week, though

Last edited:
I thought the video showed the HUUGGEE rad that's on the back of teh tank? If not, I'll get you some nice shots of that-- Basically a powerful pump pushes the oil through a rad system where those 12 fans are spinning very slowly (900 RPM I believe)

This keps things ice-cold and damn silent :attn:

EDIT:

LOL, you have NO IDEA! I was thinking about adding a slim tank to the front and throwing a warm-water fish, since the temp of its back wall would be a steady tropical level. Maybe a betta? Some flashy little tetras? I duno, I'm not a big fish guy. I do get people asking 2-5x a week, though

The video is extremely laggy where I live (despite the 100Mb connection...).
I could not see it, lol!

Thanks!

Hi, I'm a laser-cut acrylic mounting board! This was a pre-made part (If you couldn't tell)

Better view of the rad + Green LEDs, etc.

When it isn't midnight I'll actually make some sense out of what I'm attaching.

Dat rad!

Toodles!

What specs are on that system? I don't see it in your sig.

Haha, its a project in-store. Its technically mine, but most of the parts are being "borrowed" or written off as shrink, you know. :)

I'll get ya the specs when I make a more comprehensive post in teh morning, I promise :attn:

Oh! I thought it was yours, at the shop. Really, you got to do a cool *** project, at the shop.

Either way, it wins.

That's wonderful!
It may not be especially practical, but I absolutely love it!

I'd go with a Betta, be sure to include a filter and a meaningful amount of water for it, though. The mythos surrounding bettas and their ability to live in a tiny cup of water are complete crap.
(and keep the oil out, heh. Being a part-time air breather it wouldn't appreciate a scum of oil on the surface much I don't think)

Oh! I thought it was yours, at the shop. Really, you got to do a cool *** project, at the shop.

Either way, it wins.

Running / co-owning a highly profitable computer components and service shop has its perks, I'm tellin' ya. The hardware is some mine, some not, a few components were damaged in shipping, etc. Most of the rest of the project (rocks, bubble rock, tank, fans, rad, acrylic mounting board, tubing, surgery, bleeding hands) came out of pocket. We do some mod work for / with people, so it definitely helps start that conversation!

EDIT:

That's wonderful!
It may not be especially practical, but I absolutely love it!

I'd go with a Betta, be sure to include a filter and a meaningful amount of water for it, though. The mythos surrounding bettas and their ability to live in a tiny cup of water are complete crap.
(and keep the oil out, heh. Being a part-time air breather it wouldn't appreciate a scum of oil on the surface much I don't think)

I wouldn't go any less than a 2-3 gallon sleeve, though the mod would have to be fully custom if I wanted it to look even half decent.. I'm told that as long as the water is carefully monitored / kept clean, a filter and pump aren't necessary. And I'm sure oil wouldn't be a good go.

I may do a schooling fish, like Tetras (And including an air pump for em, since they can't breathe air like that betta!), so that I can have more than one dancing around in there :D

No kidding! If I was looking for computer advice/custom builds and didn't know anything about them, I'd drop a load in my pants and try to save your computer!

Back