• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android virus alert / Fake virus alert

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I installed Malwarebytes on wife's G7, scan did not detect anything. I'd do a factory reset but I'd hate to lose the recent Android 10 upgrade.

If you got an update before, unless they pulled the update, you should obviously be able to get it again.

So here is another popup, is this from a legitimate feature of Android, or simply a "social engineering" ploy to redirect the user to download actual malware?

virus-alert.png

typo

Reset your phone, bud (factory reset/wipe data). You'll fart around for hours when a restore can be done within 20 mins. :)

Last edited:
So here is another popup, is this from a legitimate feature of Android, or simply a "social engineering" ploy to redirect the user to download actual malware?

View attachment 211711

That is 100% fake and malware popup on your phone. I occasionally get those on my phone just from a random webpage. If you're getting that on regular sites that you go to I'd be extremely cautious, and as others said, do a factory reset on the device and reinstall your apps/restore your settings as you have time from the google backup.

That is 100% fake and malware popup on your phone. I occasionally get those on my phone just from a random webpage. If you're getting that on regular sites that you go to I'd be extremely cautious, and as others said, do a factory reset on the device and reinstall your apps/restore your settings as you have time from the google backup.

Thank you guys, reset in progress. I just wanted to be 100% sure this was bogus, as I've never encountered malware on Android before.

It could have been living in chromes cache. After doing a quick scan with nothing found next step would be reset cookies and cache and check for unexpected plugins. However as with most issues of this nature I am of the wipe and reset opinion most of the time. Im the same way with Windows. OS seems infected or something in the system files is messed up just restore the dang thing. Id rather waste 1-2 hours reinstalling and downloading my apps than potentially throw a whole day down the drain trying to fix it only to have to restore anyway.

You shouldn't be getting those Tim (or wife) what Security update are you on? Is the Moto on the latest OS that it can be?

Settings/System/Advanced/System update.

You should be able to get rid of that without a reset. Chrome/Hamburger button/Settings/Privacy and security/Clear browsing data, underneath that you might have Safe Browsing and you can choose Enhanced Protection.

In the latest OS you would also have Safety Check under Privacy and Security.

If it happens again you can check this stuff before your reset.

It is why I choose to use Pixels, latest OS and Security updates by the 5th of each month. So the most current would be Feb 5th 2021.

Last edited:
Back