• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 2700X and 2600X Sneak Peek

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Max boot ... far from benchable. So far I see these chips are just a bit better ... maybe 100MHz more on ambient temps.
Shawn is preparing results so you will find out in 3-4 days :)

I guess I will stick to my TR for some longer ... re Ryzen memory clock "issues", here is 3866 in quad channel :)

TR3866.jpg

I'm looking for the refresh Threadripper this year. I have some plans I'd like to do with extra M.2 ports.

My ASRock X399M Taichi has 3x M.2 and it works good in RAID using NVMe SSD ... but it hates Optane SSD for some reason ;)

This is on 2x Patriot Hellfire 240GB NVMe. RAID on NVMe is bootable without performance loses like on Intel/X299 where you additionally have to pay for VROC.

TaichiRAID.jpg

I simply have a lot of results already :)

I'm not sure for what I could use that ( I always have some ideas when I see new stuff ). Somehow I think it will faster be as PCIE cards with multiple M.2 sockets or something like that because I don't think that single M.2 cards ( at least first gen ) will operate at low temp... or low enough to keep it next to motherboard and under other cards. Just some quick thoughts as it's clearly designed for servers.
I'm not sure what Micron is doing regarding all these new storage and computing devices. I mean they've released couple of news about new products and later silence. Fast SSD were only in high capacity for servers and their NVMe for desktops were canceled. I've seen Ballistix NVMe on photos but it was never released.

Nah, the memory control is one thing but the memory availability is another.

So the idea for these types of cards is to do fast Neural Net (Deep Learning) computations. M.2 slots are great because you can pack an FPGA on to a x4 / x2 and saturate the entire line up to GEN4 if you got the proper serti IP on the FPGA.

Other companies are making these into quick memory access, think of it as very very smart cacheing for very large data sets. Those that would feed data analytic processors like GPGPUs, GPUs, ASICs, or the larger FPGAs or Digital Processors.

For me, it would to play around with NN/Deep Learning with a nice connection to a PCIe port without having to buy one of the more expensive FPGA cards.

Heat issues are minor if you got a big enough fan, and a Naviq Case :)

It's so hard to not buy right now. I'm saving up for thread ripper 2 but this is really tempting to preorder.

Anyone else preorder?

I like where AMD is going here. Hope to see some improvements though they wont be major.
One thing is for sure they finally fixed there FX issues with the release of Ryzen and the new Zen line up. It looks like Intel is starting to sweat some to!
I predict some re-branding from Intel soon. LOL. They will crank up the GHz on some of the i3's and i5's and re-brand them out to keep revenue pouring in lol. (The P4 vs XP days are comin back!) ..

Sorry but I'm really not seeing anything to get excited about here. I built a half dozen or so Ryzens when they first came out, all of which had various issues in addition to the early memory incompatibilities. So I dumped them all and stayed away from Ryzens until Microcenter had a big sale after BF last December. Then I picked up a 1700X for just $229 with $30 off a Gigabyte B350 mobo so the combo came in at under $300. That Ryzen was one of the later ones with the fixes and it ran everything I threw at it perfectly at 4 GHz with the RAM at 3200. These new ones seem to be about $100 more with no IPC improvement, just a faster clock. While I'll likely build one just for the hell of it (if the price comes down), I really don't see any threat to Intel, which I already have, running an i7-8700K at 5 GHz also with a faster IPC. IMO, when the first gen Ryzens go on "fire sale" pricing those will be a good buy since the early glitches have been resolved. As for the new ones - meh. :-/

The big deal IMHO is clock speed and memory problems solved. as for the rest in 2 days we will all see what comes out.
Just a note to you all NOT every one can afford an Intel setup first off and secondly AMD is NOT that bad at all I have 2 AMD systems one an FX 8300 Unlocked and the other is a Ryzen 3 1300X both are great CPU's both game just as good as any Intel setup can.
Glad to hear you can hit 5.GHz that is AMAZING no doubt, it is really good to see Intel unlocked some of there stuff Or is Intel still locking up the multiplier? One reason I do not like there chips is they are LOCKED!
AMD lets the users take full control and that is another advantage AMD gives it's users that some fail to see.

The big deal IMHO is clock speed and memory problems solved. as for the rest in 2 days we will all see what comes out.
Just a note to you all NOT every one can afford an Intel setup first off and secondly AMD is NOT that bad at all I have 2 AMD systems one an FX 8300 Unlocked and the other is a Ryzen 3 1300X both are great CPU's both game just as good as any Intel setup can.
Glad to hear you can hit 5.GHz that is AMAZING no doubt, it is really good to see Intel unlocked some of there stuff Or is Intel still locking up the multiplier? One reason I do not like there chips is they are LOCKED!
AMD lets the users take full control and that is another advantage AMD gives it's users that some fail to see.
You are defending something that doesn't need defended! ;)

The difference between Intel and AMD setups is less than you think. For all intents and purposes, its only the CPU cost that is the difference all other things considered. Some don't sweat $100 (Ryzen 5 1600X vs 8700K) in a $500+ purchase to have the fastest processor (both at stock and especially when overclocked). Some don't care, and some don't want to spend the money for the gains. For the same money one can have more cores, but again, to what end if they are not used? The choice between AMD and Intel simply come down to your budget and how you plan on using the PC in the first place.

Intel has had unlocked processors for several generations now. Not ALL are unlocked, but there are several per generation and has been this way for years. I can't say there is much of an advantage there personally. MORE AMD chips are unlocked (all?) but, again, not a huge deal for most.

RE: Gaming, they can game just fine, but they are not "just as good". There can be a glass ceiling on performance still (see Wingman's video, about 4:15 in). Feel free to check out some reviews. The updated lower latency cache (translates to IPC improvements), helps that out. As we have said here before, it can game great, its still just behind the Intel CPU.

What we seem to be getting here is what many expected. A slight bump in clocks (though the CPU is still thoroughly maxed out clock speed wise and seems to not be able to get past its own boost), better latency and memory support.

Last edited:
Following this one for some results :)
While I probably don't need a CPU upgrade... not saying I don't want to upgrade/tweak more. Looking forward to some results on the new chips and platform overall. Happy that AMD is back in the CPU business!

Last edited:
RE: Gaming, they can game just fine, but they are not "just as good". There can be a glass ceiling on performance still (see Wingman's video, about 4:15 in). Feel free to check out some reviews. The updated lower latency cache (translates to IPC improvements), helps that out. As we have said here before, it can game great, its still just behind the Intel CPU.

Okay you contradicted yourself in this statement here.
I am going to disagree with you hear I think you are wrong but that is just MHO. In fact I think that for the money AMD is on par with Intel ( If not better in some cases). Again this is my Opinion.
And more cores doesn't always mean your games are going to use them. Heck I do not even have a game that can take advantage of DX12 yet!
And when AMD has a $100 dollar CPU that competes or is in some cases better than the others offering at $320 bucks and the Mother boards OMG! The Intel line is far more expensive for little gain (IMHO).
Not to flame out but the NEW Ryzen CPU's are almost here will they be all that and then some? Most likely NOT, Just a speed up re-brand of the same stuff we have now. This will be a lateral move nothing more.

Is it time for an upgrade? NO not yet. Maybe in 2020. Heck maybe not till 2025!

And yes AMD is just as GOOD as any Intel at gaming. To say other wise is well IMHO just wrong and quite frankly a shortsighted statement. Of course AMD CPU'S play games just as good as Intel CPU's do and you know what else? AMD CPU'S are just as good as Intel CPU's plain simple fact. They have been and always will be. JUST AS GOOD! This fact may shock and appall you no end but it is a fact, Just think if they were not as good? There would be NO market at all for AMD.

Please understand this is just MHO nothing more than that and in no way am I trying to change your mind or berate or belittle you. I just disagree is all OKAY?

No hurt feelings. I hope.

I did not contradict myself at all. :)

The term "JUST AS" is defined as equal to... they are not equal in Gaming. Wingman's video shows you exactly that (as do other reviews if you look around).

I said more cores doesn't mean your game is going to use them.. not directly, but I said, 'only if you can use the cores'. Most games do not use more than 4-8 threads, its clock speed and IPC that rules, which AMD is behind a bit in IPC (again see reviews) and behind in clockspeeds as well, especially after overclocking (said that already as well).

I listed what I compared my pricing to already. I have no idea what $100 AMD CPU is better than an Intel CPU at $320. A $100 AMD CPU doesn't have the same thread count, nor IPC, nor clock speeds. But, please enlighten me with a link so I may learn if that is not correct.

As I said before (this is getting old, its like you don't understand what I post... :() I can overclock an 8700K on a $100-$115 Z370 motherboard man... Just because the high end is higher, doens't mean we can't find a comparable board around the same price.

And yes AMD is just as GOOD as any Intel at gaming. To say other wise is well IMHO just wrong and quite frankly a shortsighted statement. Of course AMD CPU'S play games just as good as Intel CPU's do and you know what else? AMD CPU'S are just as good as Intel CPU's plain simple fact. They have been and always will be. JUST AS GOOD! This fact may shock and appall you no end but it is a fact, Just think if they were not as good? There would be NO market at all for AMD.
Your ignorance is preceding you.

I understand that it is an opinion, but opinions can also be wrong. Many people have the opinion the earth is flat, for example. In that light, you believe AMD CPUs play games "just as" good as Intel CPUs, and they don't (see reviews, see the video above... do some research). It isn't a fact, your opinion. They play games well, but they are not on par with Intel across the board (again you reiterate the term "JUST AS GOOD" - when it isn't. In many titles it is a few to several percent behind at 1080p (the higher the res, the less that matters). So, if you want to qualify your statements a bit (lol, A LOT), your opinion can be considered 'right'.

We can disagree all you want, that doesn't make an opinion without merit correct. I am not trying to change your mind either, just to present facts and for you to form your own conclusion from them as it seems however this one was formed, it wasn't from a place of fact. No hurt feelings, I hope.

Okay so by your reasoning My Current Ryzen 3 1300X CPU ( COST ME $100 Dollars after in-store rebate! You are enlightened!! oh and the MB cost $90 bucks so YEAH!) that is the = to the Intel core i3 7300 (k) is NOT? WHAT!? Your Ignorance proceeds you my friend. I know for a FACT that MY current system will not only perform on par with the Intel core i3 in games BUT it is in fact JUST AS GOOD as the core i3! PROVE ME WRONG!

Last edited:
Okay so by your reasoning My Current Ryzen 3 1300X CPU that is the = to the Intel core i3 7300 (k) is NOT? WHAT!? Your Ignorance proceeds you my friend. I know for a FACT that MY current system will not only perform on par with the Intel core i3 in games BUT it is in fact JUST AS GOOD as the core i3! PROVE ME WRONG!
Having a discussing with you is difficult because inevietably, the goal posts move. :(

Let me remind you what I responded to (in part):
And when AMD has a $100 dollar CPU that competes or is in some cases better than the others offering at $320
You are welcome to post links to the information you are sharing as fact (I asked for this already)....: I listed what I compared my pricing to already.
I have no idea what $100 AMD CPU is better than an Intel CPU at $320. A $100 AMD CPU doesn't have the same thread count, nor IPC, nor clock speeds. But, please enlighten me with a link so I may learn if that is not correct.
I'm waiting to see something to support your assertion so I may learn if what I am saying is in fact wrong... but so far, nothing but moving goal posts and lip service. :(

I could be wrong, but, wingman's link and mine below certainly shore up my talking points (about it gaming "JUST AS GOOD"). Sure, its splitting hairs, it is good for gaming, its simply not AS GOOD as Intel in many cases.

Another i3-7300 vs Ryzen 3 1300X -

Anyway, I'm not going down the rabbit hole any further about gaming and Ryzen (my ONLY TALKING POINTS, NOTE outside of cost difference). Nobody said Ryzen is bad, it is not in the least. But for gaming...many titles and situations, it is not as good as comparable Intel chips.

Last edited:
I can do my own tests too you know just because some one posts a video on what they got doesn't mean that's what I am getting. Every system is different. I simply disagree with you and I can.
You can call me ignorant / stupid whatever. Wont change my mind. Bully words can not change the facts as I am getting them from my systems.
It's like everyone say's you wont be able to get past 4.0GHz on that Ryzen NO way!

Well I have hit 4.4GHz Not stable because of RAM BUT I will get that sorted out soon.

Back