• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ADATA Gammix S11 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today we get an opportunity to look at another M.2 NVMe based SSD in the ADATA Gammix S11. The Gammix series of products are typically part of a higher performance line and the Gammix S11 drive is no different. The modules are able to reach speeds up to 3200MB/s sequential reads and 1700 MB/s on writes which, on paper, places it up there with other enthusiast level drives.

Click here to view the article.

In addition to the new internals, the drive includes an already attached heatsink which isn’t just there for aesthetics. The new heatsink is said to drop temperatures by about 10°C compared to M.2 SSDs without a heatsink. If that isn’t good enough, ADATA also offers (separately) the XPG Storm heatsink which they say is the first M.2 2280 SSD add-on heatsink on the market. It is made of aluminum with a plastic shroud and incorporates a tiny fan for active cooling. The device also includes three RGB LEDs under the shroud and is compatible with RGB lighting control apps from the major motherboard manufacturers.

The 21st century was supposed to have us colonizing other planets, quantum computing for the masses, etc.. Instead we have "blower card" storage with RGB. :rofl:

Not saying either is a bad idea, but I had to say blower card storage with RGB once publicly. :D The usual great writing and review from ED, and what appears to be a decent product. I've been happy with my $40 Adata SSD. It seems like they are expanding in to the market steadily at the consumer level, and competition is always good.

I always thought it was interesting how m.2 slots are now coming with heatsinks on motherboards.

Do nvme drives really get that hot?

I always thought it was interesting how m.2 slots are now coming with heatsinks on motherboards.

If they're getting beaten on the controller on the SSD can get quite warm.

They'll get warmer, yeah, to the point where the controllers on some will throttle slightly (IIRC). The location of the slot on many boards doesn't help, sandwiched between a graphics card and the chipset, both pumping out heat and causing airflow to stagnate around the drive.

Edit: Damn, didn't realize I didn't refresh the page lol

Back