• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a64 laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TheGreySpectre said:
who is making a64 laptops?
seems like everyone is going over to pentium for laptops.

Well the Pentium M is the best laptop CPU out to date. I would never get an A64 laptop. Sure it would be an alright desktop replacment, but other than that its going to be less than usefull. The CPUs are power hungry, and batter life is medicore at best. If you actually look at the pentium m benchmarks, it holds it own. Beating out an FX-53 in some cases. It all comes down to what you want to do, but if battery life portability are on the top of your list, stay far away from an a64.

{PMS}fishy said:
Well the Pentium M is the best laptop CPU out to date. I would never get an A64 laptop. Sure it would be an alright desktop replacment, but other than that its going to be less than usefull. The CPUs are power hungry, and batter life is medicore at best. If you actually look at the pentium m benchmarks, it holds it own. Beating out an FX-53 in some cases. It all comes down to what you want to do, but if battery life portability are on the top of your list, stay far away from an a64.

I get ~2.5 hours on my A64 3000+/ATI 9600 M10, that is hardly useless. I agree Dothan based lappys are the best out, but to call aa A64 system crap is a far from the truth. My next laptop will be Dothan based, those things really rock, and have great battery life as well.

It's my understanding there is software to adjust the vcore and even FSB on a lot of A64 lappies. They generally don't need as much voltage as they're getting and you can get a small boost to battery life by dropping the vcore a notch or two.

Arkaine23 said:
It's my understanding there is software to adjust the vcore and even FSB on a lot of A64 lappies. They generally don't need as much voltage as they're getting and you can get a small boost to battery life by dropping the vcore a notch or two.

You sir are correct. My A64 has a default VID of 1.4v, i have raised it to clock it an additional 400MHz (healthy o/c for a lappy if i do say so :p) and i've also lowered it while on battery to gain a little extra life. If i can get ~2 hours out of my laptop, i'm happy. I haven't run into any situations where i was away from power for that long, short of a plane ride. And even then i'm 6'3" the last thing i need is a laptop in front of me, things are tight enough.

That's the E-machines M68** series NB with a better screen. No supprise since E-machines is now owned by Gateway, and not the crappy maker they once were. That is an extremely popular NB, and Gateway is equally as immpressive as a NB mfg. Both my girl, and folks have owned Gateway NB's and have had no problems. My folks have owned about 3 desktops as well, no problems with them either. Just my take on them, don't know what kind of other experiences others have had.

I wouldnt say stay far away from it... I get a full 3 hours out of my Acer Ferrari 3200+. Between the A64, the Radeon 9700, and the gig of RAM its got enough power to kick the *** of most other laptops and plenty of dektops too, and I assure you it is quite portable.

my old toshiba only gets about 2 hours of battery life so i am well accustomed to not much battery life

Back