• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5950X running 43c to 50c idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhypertext

I just upgraded to this cpu.

Cooler is 360 Corsair Aio water temp is 29c i se the pump to 2700k rpm and fans top 1200k.

Is this normal idle temps for this cpu or did i miss some bios settings??

checked the seating its fine

the pump is running

Bios is set to stock. i thought maybe it was icue so i shut that down to see if it would slow down.

I updated the bios before i upgraded to this cpu.

Its just odd that it doesn't slow down at idle..

Power management is set to balanced.

If you have RGB software running that could do it. I am a snob, and I think Corsair just makes junk, and that is why you have high temps.. but it might be something else. You make me want to plug in my 5900X.

If you have RGB software running that could do it. I am a snob, and I think Corsair just makes junk, and that is why you have high temps.. but it might be something else. You make me want to plug in my 5900X.
yeah i shut down Icue and it made no difference so i don't think its that my R5 3600 had no issues going to idle

People complain about the 58X3D being hot.. but it really isnt. I am using a Thermalright AIO and this is what I get..

3.png

Edit:

Gonna install my 5900X :D

Edit:

0d on post with 5900X.. might hafta clean the socket. Dammit.

Last edited:
People complain about the 58X3D being hot.. but it really isnt. I am using a Thermalright AIO and this is what I get..

View attachment 366618

Edit:

Gonna install my 5900X :D

Edit:

0d on post with 5900X.. might hafta clean the socket. Dammit.

Again, I don't get how you have temps below typical ambient, as it's impossible. Maybe it's a faulty sensor or a wrong reading, or your ambient temps are around 10-15°C. Idle temps are usually ~10-15°C above ambient. When I test coolers on various CPUs, I usually get 32-45°C idle, with 22-24°C ambient ... and you have a flat 20°C.

Again, I don't get how you have temps below typical ambient, as it's impossible. Maybe it's a faulty sensor or a wrong reading, or your ambient temps are around 10-15°C. Idle temps are usually ~10-15°C above ambient. When I test coolers on various CPUs, I usually get 32-45°C idle, with 22-24°C ambient ... and you have a flat 20°C
I am awesome bro.

Just kidding. My PC is in the basement. The thing on the wall says 19c right beside my PC.

Thermlaright and SYY-157. I put my TIM on thin, I am not making sandwiches.

Then your sensors are off. A 1-2C delta isn't really possible on most cooling.

Sensors are more accurate closer to the Tjmax, too...
All good, I just run it.. nothing I can do but use it and show pictures when I get the chance :D

But.. A lot people say the same things you guys do, on a variety of CPU's. Intel or AMD.. lots of bad sensors these days.

Edit:

To be fair my fans were on full speed and my SOC was undervolted to give me a 3.5w min. .085v SOC.

What mobo do you have? I have a 5900x and if I don't enable c-state in bios my cpu will not throttle down, In my balanced power profile I have processor power management set to 5% min and 100% max, at idle my vcore drops to 0.984v and my clocks drop to 2100mhz from 4805mhz idle temps are 37-40c depending on my ambient temps but that's is with icue and all the normal background stuff running

What mobo do you have? I have a 5900x and if I don't enable c-state in bios my cpu will not throttle down, In my balanced power profile I have processor power management set to 5% min and 100% max, at idle my vcore drops to 0.984v and my clocks drop to 2100mhz from 4805mhz idle temps are 37-40c depending on my ambient temps but that's is with icue and all the normal background stuff running
I have the Asus X570 Tuff gaming plus wifi..

Maybe you should send me that 5950X...so's I can overclock the snot..oh no, wait...to test it...yeah that's it...test it *wink wink* :ROFLMAO:

J/k

My 5900X is a heater , but at idle, temps are nominal with my cooling.
i hear ya lol i have not overclocked in many many moons. i just want it to run as intended..

Now i see it just sits @3.98 MHz no matter what even with BF 2042 going and on max settings with my GPU at 98% utilization. **NOTE** the cpu is at 50% utilization

I am guess the stock bios settings are incorrect now for this CPU.
because its not boosting or idling properly.

If setting "optimized defaults" from the BIOS doesn't do it (it should set your RAM back to JEDEC, too), consider flashing it again with the same one... don't touch anything, and see if that helps.

What are you using to monitor clocks, btw? Hwinfo64 has min/max... that would be good to see. :)

I appears its locked at x40

1715278113007.png
Post magically merged:

1715278543586.png

yeah loading Optimized in bios unlocked it but now its running at 55c to 60c at idle because that current VIDs 1.100 is bouncing at idle between that an 1.462. causing heat i guess.

Last edited:
Back