• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*** 2nd Annual "March Madness" Folding Contest ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The PPD is quite a nice surprise. I wish I hadn't started crunching 1 week early so that my PPD would have started at 0. I just wanted to make sure that everything was running properly and hit the start running.

For clarification, greatest increase, or greatest % increase?

Greatest increase. Since percentage would be completely relative to the individual user, I don't believe that would be fair... and there will always be different opinions on what is and isn't fair... my goal is to do what I feel gives each participant the best chance at winning.

If someone who does 40,000 ppd adds an 8800GT and someone who does 10,000 ppd adds an 8800GT, that increased contribution will be relatively the same and their contest PPD increase will also reflect this increased contribution relatively equally.

I feel using each participants current PPD as a baseline puts everyone on a "level" (as level as it can be) playing field. Also, there would be no way for me to calculate a percentage increase for those who were producing 0 ppd the week prior to the contest.

Everyone needs to be aware that this "Contest PPD" is calculated over the entire contest period. So at the end of the contest there will be 28 days worth of Folding which will comprise the PPD number. For example, at the end of the show someone has earned 250,000 points in 28 days. Their "Contest PPD" will be 8928.6.

I had some questions about that calculation last time around... it must be noted that the PPD I calculate will likely not fall in line with what one sees on EOC, since that PPD number only includes the previous 7 days. However, the "baseline" PPD number is based on the 7 days prior to the contest. My reasoning for using a smaller time period for the "baseline" is to get the most accurate "snapshot" of what everyone is currently producing.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements for future contests... I'm all ears. I want to give you guys the competition that reflects Team 32's wants/needs/goals. I am a servant of the Team. :)

its on like donkey kong!

fhoc.jpg

I just fired up my PS3, i7 920, Q6600, e8400. It gets friggin hot in here. I haven't even set up VM's on the Q6600 or i7, might set up VM's on the e8400. I still have to get GPU folding going on my GTX 295, 2x4850, 4870. I have a feeling its going to get a lot hotter in here once I do that

Sounds like quite the arsenal Albaholic! :D You may be right there in the runnings for the PPD Contest after adding all that! :beer:

So people who had 0 PPD prior aren't included for the suprise draw I'm guessing?

I think they will! like harlam said,
I feel using each participants current PPD as a baseline puts everyone on a "level" (as level as it can be) playing field. Also, there would be no way for me to calculate a percentage increase for those who were producing 0 ppd the week prior to the contest.
So sure, if a user goes from 0 to 20,000+ppd for a month i think thats a sweet deal for us and them!

Well I just tossed in another client, single core running on a celeron 2.8 with notfred's USB folding. It brining in about 175ppd, better than nothing I guess, its actually pretty similar to my A64 fileserver.

I'm honestly quite impressed, I've always been quite biased against celerons, and its doin pretty well.

Nick

Stats Update!

Check out the Top Post LINK'D HERE.

Other Stats

None yet! :D

Please bear with me a little bit guys... I'm using a new system (custom written) to run the contest this time around. So there are a few growing pains. ;) However, this new system will allow me to do much more going forward. I'm hoping to have some tastey tidbits for you all in the next couple updates. :)

thfoldon.gif

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah, stupid NAN errors with my 55nm GTX260 216. Only happens when I fold for a contest. Ran for DAYS without NAN errors.

The GOOD thing is that my step up is coming and I will have 2 to fold with for the rest of the month at least. I may keep them both...not sure.

Last edited:
Another progress update this evening folks... Thanks again to everyone for playing! :beer:

With this effort MaxPC is getting further away! It was 2-3 weeks at one point, now its 4.2 months!!!!! Keep it up!!!

Just because we've pushed them back doesn't mean they're going away or giving up.

Keep up the vigilance, and borg on!

W00r for everyone who assisted in this power increase.

Back