• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All these angle fittings..Have pumps improved that much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

So after years of going back to air cooling I have been looking at the water cooling section to get an idea of what to build. In this time I have noticed one major thing that was always a no-no back when I did it and that is the 90* and 45* angle fittings. Have pumps improved that much over the past three years or so that flow is no longer a concern or do people care more about looks than performance in most rigs these days?

I have read very little about angle fittings causing major flow retriction for pumps. Usually, this is a matter about change in diameter.

There is one angle fitting (they cost a lot :S) coming off a GTX 480 in my rig. The liquid is moving almost just as fast past the 45 degree bend as it was before entering the EK block.

This is an approximation by feeling how much vibration the moving fluid is causing in the hoses. I do not have any true empirical information unfortunately.

I try to avoid them like the plague, unless you want to pay the premium. ^^

They're still avoided where possible afaik, but 45's are more acceptable than what I seemed to get off the op...90's are still a last resort.

Sometimes they're a necessary evil, as in my situation. Due to space limitations, 45 fittings might be required. I use rotary fittings for the flexibility and less restrictive flow (gradual bend rather than an abrupt angle). I have a 5 way rotary going from the mosfet block to the north bridge block. It lines up exactly with the holes. There's no way a tube could make that bend. Spendy but worth it if you have no choice in making a tight angle.

The new 90s etc have a smooth radius and a pretty big bore these days. Much improved.

Looks and routing does matter with all these nice cases.

You really can have both now.

So the design of the fittings has improved enough to void the fact that it is a 90* angle in your flow? Does anyone have any links to comparisons to prove this? I like the look that the fittings give a setup but I just can't believe that without some graphs.

So the design of the fittings has improved enough to void the fact that it is a 90* angle in your flow? Does anyone have any links to comparisons to prove this? I like the look that the fittings give a setup but I just can't believe that without some graphs.

not all of them, they don't void it, they just minimize it...I usta have a review but I lost it and can't seem to find it :S, the gist of it was, use them minimally and only where necessary and you're fine.

I'll start by saying I am a fan of creative tube routing, but...

Just try to avoid a 90 fitting at the inlet of your pumps, that is where you'll take the biggest hit. Mostly, 90's and what not will not impact flow rates too much.

Actually, time to put some numbers behind this... back in a few hours. :D

It's really too bad more people don't use copper plumbing fittings instead of these restrictive, generic plastic elbows. :( And it's gotten easier with the release of solderless joining compounds, you don't even need to sweat them anymore (though I still do). All it takes is a pipe cutter, a pipe brush (both inexpensive) and a little extra time to put it together. I guess even that is too much trouble for most people.

Or maybe it's all part of that age-old battle between Bling and performance ... :rain:

It's really too bad more people don't use copper plumbing fittings instead of these restrictive, generic plastic elbows. :( And it's gotten easier with the release of solderless joining compounds, you don't even need to sweat them anymore (though I still do). All it takes is a pipe cutter, a pipe brush (both inexpensive) and a little extra time to put it together. I guess even that is too much trouble for most people.

Or maybe it's all part of that age-old battle between Bling and performance ... :rain:

Why use copper plumbing fittings when you can get a pipe bender and just bend your 45s or 90s directly into the pipe :thup:Linkey

I've often considered that option but pipe bending can't get the radius you need inside a case. A 90° ell with the stubs is only ~1.5" long (if that) outside to outside. You'd need a 1.25" radius (down the center) to match that and, if desperate, you can get a 1/2" tube over the bare ell, which is 1" (3/4" radius). I admit, though, it's tricky to do that and takes a fair amount of time, patience, and hot water ... ;)

Why use copper plumbing fittings when you can get a pipe bender and just bend your 45s or 90s directly into the pipe :thup:Linkey

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to do the entire loop using copper pipe. Painstaking process with lot's of exact measuring but you'd be guranteed straight lines and you could do the bends exactly how you want them. Clean the pipe with steel wool and spray some sealer on it. Bling. Just a thought...

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to do the entire loop using copper pipe. Painstaking process with lot's of exact measuring but you'd be guranteed straight lines and you could do the bends exactly how you want them. Clean the pipe with steel wool and spray some sealer on it. Bling. Just a thought...
I think voigts tried that at one time and concluded that it's easier (and more quiet, IIRC) to use a short piece of tubing between the barb and pipe. If you want to see some of his work look up "wood case" under his username. I'm pretty sure we've got all his threads here but if you can't find it you might also check his threads on XS ... :)

Gotta go mow the lawn... :(

But I already have 1, 2, 3 and 4 BP 90's on the inlet of a CPx-Pro/Jingway DP-1200 pushing the CPU pump test loop (Pump -> Supreme HF P4 -> MCR320 -> Res.

Normal: 1.80GPM @ 13.8W
1x BP 90 @ Inlet: 1.77GPM @ 13.7W
2x BP 90 @ Inlet: 1.74GPM @ 13.6W
3x BP 90 @ Inlet: 1.71GPM @ 13.4W
4x BP 90 @ Inlet: 1.64GPM @ 13.2W

Once I get back in from bailing the lawn I'll run the CPU+SLI loop along with putting the 90's at the outlet as well. Pressure drop will have to wait until a few other items get knocked out involving the manometer.

Looks pretty linear up until 4 BP 90s are used.

I think a good question is how low can the flow rate get before the advantage of liquid cooling is lost. Or, at what flow rate do you see minimal returns in cooling performance.

That would give a good idea of where to stop when using 90 degree bends with 1 or 2 pumps.

Last edited:
Back